Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you fully depend on your SO?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

My aunt was a stay-at-home mom and wife for 30+yrs. My uncle passed away last year and had things set up so that his funeral, all their outstanding credit card bills, their car notes, and their mortgage were paid for when he passed with a little bit left so she wouldn't have to worry about money for a little while. She sold his car so that would give her some more money, but now that's gone, too, and she needs to go to work to cover her everyday expenses. Yet she has no skills and is completely overwhelmed at the whole job process now with computers being a completely alien thing to her (she can use an e-reader, but that's about it as far as gadgets go).

Anyway, it's made me grateful to have a college degree and a job of my own so that if something happens to my husband, I can take care of myself with ease and not end up so completely lost like she is.

Are YOU fully dependent on your husband/significant other?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
No, of course not. I went to school and had an education before and a career before I got married. I would have never had children if I couldn't support them on my own. I also have a job I love very much. I pity women like this, who don't have any desire to educate themselves or be able to support themselves. I'm so grateful my parents made sure I knew the value of an education and the ability to support oneself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 4:54 PM
No we both have cars to get to places. The only time i had to rely on my husband was when my car was getting fixed and he toom me back and forth to work.
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Even when I was a sahm I wasn't like that. She can easily work at a chain store like Walmart, Target, or Sears. They hire people with no skills all the time. My aunt just went through the same thing and walked in walmart and they did all her training. In a year she was a manager in deli. She makes good money now. Your aunt just has to decide to do it and go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM
I have been home for 21 years but we have a ton saved for retirement and a rainy day. I could work if I had to b it hard to a get a job when you are over 50.
gracef282
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Its 50/50. He's the provider of our family. I raised our kids while he worked and stayed home for 20yrs until the youngest child flew the coop. Then yes i went back to work. When the grandkikids arrived into the world, i chose to finish work and help out babysit while the parents work, so they too can provide for their families. My dh and i were already financially stabled. Our days were far easier than what it is today. Technology has taken over. Jobs are lost and people are struggling and that's why our children turn to parents for help..

Im from the baby boomers era
snowangel1979
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM
We are working towards having everything set up where if something happened, maybe I would have to get a part time job eventually.

We will have the house paid off within the next year. He has life insurance that would get me by for a long while. We have no credit card debt. (well like $500) We don't drive new cars and I don't want one. We try to live as debt free as possible and have savings.

I do have an education and have no problem going back to work but right now we both feel my place is at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM
I worked all my life before I met my husband and I can certainly work again if I need to. I'm actually working for myself right now cleaning houses, business's and a nearby school so I am bringing in money.
If I needed a full time job I could easily get one. I'm not worried.
JaeMommy07
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I am not.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Do I depend financially on him?  Now that he is here and is the one bringing in a paycheck, yes.  That being said, I could go back to work and the kids and I survive if something happened to him.

AHmom103
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Financially, I do. But I have relevent job and financial skills so that if something were to happen, I'd be fine. Plus, if he were to die, he's paid in enough to SS that we would be able to live comfortably whether I got a job or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN