Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you have guns? Does that mean you are...

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:04 PM
  • 24 Replies

A prepper?

and I don't just mean one handgun with a box of bullets.

i was wondering if there is a correlation between people who own multiple, different kinds of guns, possibly would put a bumper sticker on their car being proud of their collection, and the concept of prepping for a possible catastrophe.

i consider myself a beginner prepper. Not preparing for anything specific, but i have the means and space to have supplies on hand, so why not? I surely would be upset with myself if something were to happen in terms of a large scale emergency and I had done nothing to prepare my family.

i also carry a large purse with lots of just in case items I always seem to end up needing!

so, are multiple gun owners possibly prepping for something? The need to provide food by hunting, or the possible need for protection during a breakdown of society?

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GertieK
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I own guns and ammo - to me it means I am smart and prepared.  Being prepared for the future used to be just part of life.  Now days people think you are crazy and wear a tin foil hat.  When the last batch of big  tornados hit alabama, we had food, water, and electricity (from our generator).   It took the power company almost two weeks to get our electricity back on.  We were fairly comfortable while other people suffered greatly - and we helped as many peopleas we could.  But, our family was primary.  It seems like many moms on here don't really pay much attention to the chaos going on around the world right now - but things are deteriorating at an alarming rate.  Our border is not even close to being secure and we have lots and lots of really bad people who literally strolled across the border and are now in America.  9/11 is coming up.  It really isn't about "if", but when the next attack happens.  On Aug. 9, a Twitter account listed as #AMessageFromISIStoUS shows a picture of the Old Republic Building in Chicago – located on North Michigan Avenue – with a person holding a piece of scrap paper with Arabic scrawled on it that translates as "soldiers of the Islamic state of Iraq and Syria will pass from here soon".

Another tweet shows someone holding a smart phone with a picture of the ISIS flag with the White House lit up at night in the background.  One tweet accompanying the pictures says: "we are in your state/ we are in your cities / we are in your streets. You are our goals anywhere."   Another reads: "we are here #america near our #target :) sooooooooooooon."

The same twitter account also posted video of the beheading of American journalist James Foley, who is a graduate of Chicago’s Northwestern University.

Before Sept. 11, 2001, the intelligence community also saw an uptick in "chatter".
Earlier this month, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers told CBS News that because of ISIS, America is in more danger today than it was in the lead up to the 9/11 attacks.

What is going to happen is that the folks who laughed at and made fun of people like me who took the time to be prepared - will be the first ones to go after us.  When you live in a country that has more people depending on the government, who have made decisions based on "easy" instead of "honorable", and who have abdicated their personal responsibility for their own care to someone/something else - you will have chaos.  They haven't lived by their wits in generations.  Survival for them will depend on taking from someone else.  The SWHTF, guaranteed.   Our leader, if he ever makes a decision that isn't related to golf or his next vacation or fund-raiser - it will be favorable to islam. 
AHmom103
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't be considered a prepper. My husband hunts for most of our meat, that's the biggest reason we have guns. I do tend to stockpile groceries though. I usually have a minimum of a 3 month supply of non perishables, and 6-12 months worth of meat in the deep freezer.

booaura
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:30 PM
We are not preppers, but dh has several guns, three hand guns, and two long guns, and ammo for the handguns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookiemonster77
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Very well said. I will continue to prepare for the worst and hope it never comes to that

Quoting GertieK:

I own guns and ammo - to me it means I am smart and prepared.  Being prepared for the future used to be just part of life.  Now days people think you are crazy and wear a tin foil hat.  When the last batch of big  tornados hit alabama, we had food, water, and electricity (from our generator).   It took the power company almost two weeks to get our electricity back on.  We were fairly comfortable while other people suffered greatly - and we helped as many peopleas we could.  But, our family was primary.  It seems like many moms on here don't really pay much attention to the chaos going on around the world right now - but things are deteriorating at an alarming rate.  Our border is not even close to being secure and we have lots and lots of really bad people who literally strolled across the border and are now in America.  9/11 is coming up.  It really isn't about "if", but when the next attack happens.  On Aug. 9, a Twitter account listed as #AMessageFromISIStoUS shows a picture of the Old Republic Building in Chicago – located on North Michigan Avenue – with a person holding a piece of scrap paper with Arabic scrawled on it that translates as "soldiers of the Islamic state of Iraq and Syria will pass from here soon". Another tweet shows someone holding a smart phone with a picture of the ISIS flag with the White House lit up at night in the background.  One tweet accompanying the pictures says: "we are in your state/ we are in your cities / we are in your streets. You are our goals anywhere."   Another reads: "we are here #america near our #target :) sooooooooooooon." The same twitter account also posted video of the beheading of American journalist James Foley, who is a graduate of Chicago’s Northwestern University. Before Sept. 11, 2001, the intelligence community also saw an uptick in "chatter". Earlier this month, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers told CBS News that because of ISIS, America is in more danger today than it was in the lead up to the 9/11 attacks.

What is going to happen is that the folks who laughed at and made fun of people like me who took the time to be prepared - will be the first ones to go after us.  When you live in a country that has more people depending on the government, who have made decisions based on "easy" instead of "honorable", and who have abdicated their personal responsibility for their own care to someone/something else - you will have chaos.  They haven't lived by their wits in generations.  Survival for them will depend on taking from someone else.  The SWHTF, guaranteed.   Our leader, if he ever makes a decision that isn't related to golf or his next vacation or fund-raiser - it will be favorable to islam. 

cookiemonster77
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Why so much food if not preparing to possibly not have access to the grocery store?

Quoting AHmom103:

I wouldn't be considered a prepper. My husband hunts for most of our meat, that's the biggest reason we have guns. I do tend to stockpile groceries though. I usually have a minimum of a 3 month supply of non perishables, and 6-12 months worth of meat in the deep freezer.

AHmom103
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Because I live in the middle of nowhere, and in the winter, the roads get terrible, and I won't drive half an hour to the store if there is any chance of bad roads. Also, my husband loses all over time in the winter, so if something comes up, I like to be able to cut the grocery budget to cover it, so we don't have to use credit cards for stupid stuff.

Quoting cookiemonster77:

Why so much food if not preparing to possibly not have access to the grocery store?

Quoting AHmom103:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Nope, don't need them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM
We own several, all are for different types of hunting.
pinkcsmtlgy
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM

We have several guns but only use a few. Most of them are antiques and family heirlooms.

okpondlady
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 5:27 PM

If I had more space for storage and more money I would be a prepper.  As it is, I am teaching myself skills like soapmaking, breadmaking, canning.. things I can do to help my family. 

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)