Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Put God Back Into Schools

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 148 Replies
6 moms liked this

One of my least favorite posts to see on my newsfeed on Facebook, but I see it all the time. It is typically teamed up with a photo of something heartbreaking, like Sandy Hook. First, I don’t understand how the two are connected. Do people believe that whether or not those children lost their lives depended on whether or not they said a morning prayer to God? Is the God they believe in that egotistical? Or are they saying that the man that killed them would not be mentally ill had the children prayed? The shooter would not have been mentally ill had his school had God in it? I don’t know. Are they saying that the only people that value life are people that go to church or pray in school? I know some devoutly religious people that disown their own children for being gay, getting pregnant, or loving someone not of their parent’s belief system. They only value life if they approve of it?

If someone wants the school day to revolve around God, there are plenty of religious based schools. If that is what they want for their children, great. I have different beliefs though, as do many others. If they want to teach a class about ALL religions, just what the origins and beliefs are, I am all for that. Just don’t tell my child what they should believe. Hang up whatever decorations you want in the halls of public schools, Christmas trees, Menorahs, the Goddess, tell my kids what they mean to the people that they have meaning to. Learning is wonderful, but fire and brimstone belongs in church, or in a religious based school, preached to those that choose to hear it.

There are plenty of kind, compassionate, tolerant, wonderful people in this world that are not that way because they fear God, they are that way just because it is the right way to be. What is wrong in the world has little to do with God and everything to do with people, some of them even sit in church every Sunday.

Disclaimer, if your undies are in a bunch over this post, kindly go back and reread it without the preconceived notion that I am stomping on your beliefs. I am saying that I can raise wonderful children that value life, just like you, without having your beliefs.

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:05 AM
10 moms liked this
God needs to be back in school.
Happy-mommy-of4
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:09 AM
10 moms liked this
Yes I'm sure you can raise wonderful children without believing the way I do. The thing is you are bringing up maybe a few ppl that you say are Christians and they do this bad or that and well, that's not every Christian. I do see a lot of people who don't believe in God saying things like that and it's like first of all that isn't everyone and just because they claim to be a Christian or live for God doesn't always mean that they do. Also everyone (Christian or not) sins everyday. No one is perfect besides our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is a very loving God. He also gave all of us a choice to live for Him or not. Whatever you choose is your decision. Mt panties aren't in a bunch because you have a right to your opinion. I do believe that God should be in(and allowed to be talked about) all schools and everywhere actually without ppl claiming they are so offended. If that's the case then those ppl don't have to participate ,pray or anything else to do with God. I just feel sad that some ppl will never know the amazing feeling of having a close and personal relationship with Jesus Christ! :( I think for ppl who don't believe they should at least try and really talk to Him when you're alone and pour your heart out. You may just be very pleasantly surprised! :) Again I can't force my beliefs on anyone and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just saying what comes to mind and what's also on my heart. God loves us all and cares so much about us that He sent His one and only Son Jesus Christ to die for us so that we could be forgiven for our sins! That's love. Have a good night. God bless you and your family.
Happy-mommy-of4
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Amen

Quoting Anonymous 1: God needs to be back in school.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:21 AM
13 moms liked this
When people say that I just inform them that my kids can make up their own imaginary friends. They don't need me to give them one. A school is a school and a church is a church. It is ok for kids to have a fact based education as opposed to a religious one. If God is real, he's the biggest asshole I've ever heard of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JBrownBurroughs
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:39 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Happy-mommy-of4: Yes I'm sure you can raise wonderful children without believing the way I do. The thing is you are bringing up maybe a few ppl that you say are Christians and they do this bad or that and well, that's not every Christian. I do see a lot of people who don't believe in God saying things like that and it's like first of all that isn't everyone and just because they claim to be a Christian or live for God doesn't always mean that they do. Also everyone (Christian or not) sins everyday. No one is perfect besides our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is a very loving God. He also gave all of us a choice to live for Him or not. Whatever you choose is your decision. Mt panties aren't in a bunch because you have a right to your opinion. I do believe that God should be in(and allowed to be talked about) all schools and everywhere actually without ppl claiming they are so offended. If that's the case then those ppl don't have to participate ,pray or anything else to do with God. I just feel sad that some ppl will never know the amazing feeling of having a close and personal relationship with Jesus Christ! :( I think for ppl who don't believe they should at least try and really talk to Him when you're alone and pour your heart out. You may just be very pleasantly surprised! :) Again I can't force my beliefs on anyone and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just saying what comes to mind and what's also on my heart. God loves us all and cares so much about us that He sent His one and only Son Jesus Christ to die for us so that we could be forgiven for our sins! That's love. Have a good night. God bless you and your family.

Say that children in public schools were led in prayer every morning to God, would you also be fine with them being led in prayer to the Goddess, Buddha, etc and your children could just not take part? My point is that your religious beliefs do not offend me, but if I wanted my children to believe as you do, I would take them to church or enroll them in Christian school. I have very strong spiritual beliefs of my own. I would never walk around the grocery store telling others what to believe, I don’t want a public school doing that to my children either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2014 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this

What I dislike about these posters is the implication that a child with a religious background will never (can never?) do any wrong... 

Happy-mommy-of4
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 7:16 AM
3 moms liked this
God has been in school forever until recently (last years or so.) When ppl started believing in all this new age stuff or whatever (i sound old saying that lol ) All these other (idk what you call them) have never been in the schools or the pledge and so on. It's not right they take God out. You can believe how you want like I said. Public schools though have had God in the pledge for how long? Well for those schools who still say it and include God. I know for a fact God is real and He has shown me several times so I would be a fool not to believe. I don't just go around in grocery stores or wherever trying to see who believes and who don't and preach to them (idk why you said that but I don't either lol.) If the topic or opportunity to talk about or witness to someone than sure! Or if it's really on my heart to talk to that person or people about the Lord I will. I don't push my beliefs on anyone or think that ppl that don't believe in God are bad people! What kind of person or Christian would I be to think such a thing? Believe it or not most (yes I said most) Christians love everyone because God tells us to and it's the right thing to do. What if I knew in a certain situation that I was suppose to talk to a certain person or ppl about God and I though...nah I don't really feel like it or they may judge me etc...and trust me those things go through my mind as they do others and that's just satans lies so that we won't go and talk about God and possibly change that persons life by them deciding to ask Jesus into their heart? So say I missed a chance or many (which I'm sure I have I know I have but can think of an exact time)and on judgement day that person or those people go by me saying "hey I met you or I knew you and you knew the Lord and I didn't and you could have told me how much God loved me and you could have prayed with me and that could have changed my life and I could have given it to God but you didn't because you were to worried what I would think and now I can't spend eternity with my Father God!" I don't want that to happen. I want everyone to go to Heaven and wish that's how it could be. It can't because God is a gentleman and will not make us live for Him. He gives us the choice to either live for Him or not. Ok I know this is long so I will end it with this. I don't judge ppl for their beliefs or for any reason because it's not my place only God can judge. When I say God bless you to you it's not being snotty it's sincere and I want you to know that. Also I'm sure you are a good mother and will raise your children to be good ppl. As I'm sure you're a good person yourself:) Hope you have a great weekend and God bless!♡

Quoting JBrownBurroughs:

Quoting Happy-mommy-of4: Yes I'm sure you can raise wonderful children without believing the way I do. The thing is you are bringing up maybe a few ppl that you say are Christians and they do this bad or that and well, that's not every Christian. I do see a lot of people who don't believe in God saying things like that and it's like first of all that isn't everyone and just because they claim to be a Christian or live for God doesn't always mean that they do. Also everyone (Christian or not) sins everyday. No one is perfect besides our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is a very loving God. He also gave all of us a choice to live for Him or not. Whatever you choose is your decision. Mt panties aren't in a bunch because you have a right to your opinion. I do believe that God should be in(and allowed to be talked about) all schools and everywhere actually without ppl claiming they are so offended. If that's the case then those ppl don't have to participate ,pray or anything else to do with God. I just feel sad that some ppl will never know the amazing feeling of having a close and personal relationship with Jesus Christ! :( I think for ppl who don't believe they should at least try and really talk to Him when you're alone and pour your heart out. You may just be very pleasantly surprised! :) Again I can't force my beliefs on anyone and that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just saying what comes to mind and what's also on my heart. God loves us all and cares so much about us that He sent His one and only Son Jesus Christ to die for us so that we could be forgiven for our sins! That's love. Have a good night. God bless you and your family.

Say that children in public schools were led in prayer every morning to God, would you also be fine with them being led in prayer to the Goddess, Buddha, etc and your children could just not take part? My point is that your religious beliefs do not offend me, but if I wanted my children to believe as you do, I would take them to church or enroll them in Christian school. I have very strong spiritual beliefs of my own. I would never walk around the grocery store telling others what to believe, I don’t want a public school doing that to my children either.

Happy-mommy-of4
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't believe that at all! I think that's a silly thing to say. Not all Christians are alike just like all non Christians are not alike. No one's perfect besides God himself so to say my children or so and so ' s children can do no wrong is saying they are perfect and like I said only God is

Quoting Anonymous 2:

What I dislike about these posters is the implication that a child with a religious background will never (can never?) do any wrong... 

Velvetfog
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM
I agree, while I'm not against my child learning about different religious practices it's not the school's place to exhort one, or any, as right.
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 7:48 AM
Religion has no place in public school!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)