Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Put God Back Into Schools

One of my least favorite posts to see on my newsfeed on Facebook, but I see it all the time. It is typically teamed up with a photo of something heartbreaking, like Sandy Hook. First, I don’t understand how the two are connected. Do people believe that whether or not those children lost their lives depended on whether or not they said a morning prayer to God? Is the God they believe in that egotistical? Or are they saying that the man that killed them would not be mentally ill had the children prayed? The shooter would not have been mentally ill had his school had God in it? I don’t know. Are they saying that the only people that value life are people that go to church or pray in school? I know some devoutly religious people that disown their own children for being gay, getting pregnant, or loving someone not of their parent’s belief system. They only value life if they approve of it?

If someone wants the school day to revolve around God, there are plenty of religious based schools. If that is what they want for their children, great. I have different beliefs though, as do many others. If they want to teach a class about ALL religions, just what the origins and beliefs are, I am all for that. Just don’t tell my child what they should believe. Hang up whatever decorations you want in the halls of public schools, Christmas trees, Menorahs, the Goddess, tell my kids what they mean to the people that they have meaning to. Learning is wonderful, but fire and brimstone belongs in church, or in a religious based school, preached to those that choose to hear it.

There are plenty of kind, compassionate, tolerant, wonderful people in this world that are not that way because they fear God, they are that way just because it is the right way to be. What is wrong in the world has little to do with God and everything to do with people, some of them even sit in church every Sunday.

Disclaimer, if your undies are in a bunch over this post, kindly go back and reread it without the preconceived notion that I am stomping on your beliefs. I am saying that I can raise wonderful children that value life, just like you, without having your beliefs.

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Replies (141-148):
SpiritFortress
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous, if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all because they enslave the minds of [humankind]. - Robert Green Ingersoll
Today at 2:53 PM
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I believe God or gods have no place in public schools. 

celestegood
by Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/03/us/03amish.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

That's a link to the story about the amish school house where the kids were shot and killed/injured. God was there. God has nothing to do with anything, you know. God gave us free will.
If God stopped it, he would have taken away our free will. Never happen.
The thing is, I'm Christian. I believe that God belongs in our homes if we so choose. Otherwise, you have to represent all religions in school! Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, etc. They should all be represented or none of them should be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EarlGrayHot
by on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course this is just new age Christian stupidity.  They are angry because they are finally being made to adhere to the constitutionally mandated separation of church and state.  Christians got away with that crap for too long and they hate being made to follow the law at last.  Ignore them.  They are ignorant and foolish.

egyptian_mommy
by Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM
I agree. Unless it's a class on religion, it shouldn't be taught in school. Have your religion, believe what you want, but you have to understand that not everyone shares those beliefs. People also can't claim that having religion in school would change anything. First, you can't possibly know that. Second, people are still going to have different beliefs or none at all.
johnny4ever
by on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM

To each his/her own.

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Zeus? Or maybe Osiris, how about Apollo, what about Goddesses, why does it have to be a God?

I can be kind of blunt when I hear people say that we "need" God. :)
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Those posts always get under my skin. I agree with you.
Sisteract
by Member on Sep. 15, 2014 at 11:48 PM

You want religion in schools, go to the parochial school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)