Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is family time just in the toilet these days??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

k, I admit my judgy pants were pulled very high and maybe I'm being unreasonable about this. 
So myself and my kids were in Pizza Hut yesterday at lunchtime. A lady was out with her 3 boys who at a guess were 6,9 and 11. Each of the boys had an iPad mini and played on them throughout, even whilst eating. They had headphones on which I guess is good in terms of noise disturbance but as a result there was no talking between any of them. When the waitress asked if everything was ok they didn't hear so the mum spoke for them. 
The mum spent all of her time on her iPhone.
Is this just sad? Or a sign of the times?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Far too many people are hooked on these devices. They can't even be bothered to look both ways when crossing the street. I don't own a cell phone (never saw the need to be that available) and don't allow the things at the dinner table (even if we go out).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Sounds like no family time at all for them if they are just in their electronic.

In my house and we go out we will give my 22 month old my smart phone cause she has a drawing app to keep her busy till lunch or dinner comes. Then i take it away so we can all eat at the same time. But my husband and i keep dont.
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I'm not gonna say it's sad because there are definitely worse situations to be in as a family, but, it's for sure a little upsetting to see that more and more become the norm. I have absolutely nothing against technology and I don't think it's ruining families, I think it ruins people. People are capable of making choices, electronics are not. Even right now as I'm typing this my husband is sitting across from me on his phone too, I came to work with him today to help him and we are taking a break. We talked for a few and then started checking our phones. I do demand no phones at dinner and other times but sometimes I like to be on my phone too. It just depends on the people.
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It is a sign of the times and it is also a bit sad.  It's good that technology has made things easier for people to communicate with each other and learn things.  But, on the other hand, I also think it has taken away from family time.  People have gotten so hooked on their phones, computers, tablets & such that they have to have them 'on' constantly and instead of actually talking to each other they are playing on those things.  When we go out to eat we will have our phones handy, but we don't sit & contstantly check our email, play games or text other people ... we pay attention to those that we are with & we expect the same curtesty to be paid to us.  It's up to the people to say no to their cell  phones and tablets.

greenfroggy93
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM

unfortunately I think its the way things have become.  I know I see this more often than not these days.  Our house is somewhat that way as the kids are always stealing my phone or racing to get on the computer.  I wish we spent more time outside playing or doing things.  My DH is always on his phone and he feels we spend quality time together just because we are in the same room together...um no!

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I'm not perfect but we make time for family time. No devices at all when we go out to eat.

mommybear91
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM
That's one of many reasons my kids will not play with these toys.
Memere60
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:48 AM

You are right. It IS sad. I saw the same thing at a donut shop, except it was a parent on their phone, while the kids ate. It was at three different tables. It was also a good reminder to me, because I was sitting with my hubby. We don't use our phones (or iPad) while we are out together.

jcm28
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM
I make it a point to have family time. Maybe not every week but when I do there are no phone or iPad iPod
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:56 AM
I guess you would be rudely judging me too. If I'm out like that yes I'm on my phone or nook reading or an actual book. My son is on his nook. We're autistic. This is how we do best in busy locations. But that's honestly no ones business. It works for us. We do family time on our terms. Not yours.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)