Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is family time just in the toilet these days??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

k, I admit my judgy pants were pulled very high and maybe I'm being unreasonable about this. 
So myself and my kids were in Pizza Hut yesterday at lunchtime. A lady was out with her 3 boys who at a guess were 6,9 and 11. Each of the boys had an iPad mini and played on them throughout, even whilst eating. They had headphones on which I guess is good in terms of noise disturbance but as a result there was no talking between any of them. When the waitress asked if everything was ok they didn't hear so the mum spoke for them. 
The mum spent all of her time on her iPhone.
Is this just sad? Or a sign of the times?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
amichelle28
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
My daughter isn't allowed to have tablets phones or TV during the week at all. On the weekend she's allowed to watch TV until we wake up. The only time she allowed to use her tablet is on long car trips and even then it's only if she finished her books first. I don't think tons of technology is necessary but not my family not my problem.
othermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM

We make sure we have family time. The kids are occasionally allowed to play a game on my phone and they do have games and tv at home, but not in resturants.

Seagodess
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM
That is sad. I've seen it too.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM

If my friends and I go out for a lunch to hang out, our kids are welcome to bring their Kindles or tablets. That way, us adults can talk and the kids aren't bored. But if we go out as a family, there are no electronics allowed at the table except cell phones--and if that privilege is abused, the phone goes too. (Like, a handful of texts during the meal is fine; a text every 30 seconds is not.)

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 14 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 10 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 7 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 2 years old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 18 years old (niece) 

bhow
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Very Sad.  How lost will these boys be in another few years when they need to communicate with the rest of the world?  I've been told by several parents that their kids won't answer the telephone cause they don't know what to say to caller!  WHAT?  I told a couple of them it was Their own Fault for Allowing that to happen and that they are failing as parents for not teaching their kids how to properly communicate.  It didn't go well with one couple.  Oh well, they asked what to do about it.  My kids are older and they figured I could offer advice.

EarlGrayHot
by on Sep. 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Yeah, it's sad and it's disruptive to listen to people yammering on their electronic devices nonstop.  Appalling.  Some years ago a college student here was looking at his cell phone and walked right in front of a car, killing him instantly if I recall.  People are idiots about all this.

Debby49
by New Member on Sep. 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Unfortunately I think this is the times we live in, but when we are out and about, we have a rule that no one uses their phone, IPAD or anything else while we are in a restaurant.  I know it is very sad that I do see a lot of families more interested in their electronics than talking as a family at the table.  My 13 yr old daughter understands that when we are dining in or out of the house the electronics stay in the pocket or purse.  This allows us to talk about the days events as a family, which I still hold dear.

Debby

GertieK
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 9:10 AM

It is very sad, and a symptom of the bigger picture.  The disconnect between members of the family that is a result of this kind of thing is just another part of how the family is crumbling.  One of the main reasons our country was strong was because the family was strong.  We have become a country of wimpy, disconnected individuals instead of a strong, devoted, unit.  We are just beginning to see the results of the disconnect.  As things continue to erode, the problems will only get worse.

janessa27
by on Sep. 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM

It is a sad sign of times. We see this all the time- a whole table sitting together, not communicating at all, and everyone has some kind of electronic out. DH and I always talk about how sad that is. We have a no phone/electronic rule when we are eating. The kids know this and we are sticking to it as they get older.

Sisteract
by Member on Sep. 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

We are becoming anti-social, that's for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)