Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Freaks Out When Asked to Turn Off Toddler's Noisy iPad During Flight

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM
  • 9 Replies

Mom Freaks Out When Asked to Turn Off Toddler's Noisy iPad During Flight

by Ericka Sóuter

mom on flightYou would be hard pressed to find a parent who looks forward to flying with an infant or toddler. Gives you chills, right? It's natural for a mom to get stressed out while flying solo with a child. So it's no big shock that a mother recently lost it when a flight attendant asked her to turn off the iPad blaring the Bubble Guppies. Not surprisingly, it was annoying the other passengers. Also not surprisingly, the mother refused to comply. Part of her stress-fueled tirade was caught on video.

We certainly have sympathy for this mom -- to a point. It's incredibly difficult entertaining kids and keeping them from having a total meltdown on a flight. I've certainly been there. I come armed with toys, books, games, and, of course, the almighty iPad.

Click here to watch video of the incident

As this mom knows, it works wonders. But apparently, this woman's 2-year-old won't wear headphones. So, other passenger's right to fly in peace be damned. When the flight attendant asked her to turn it off, she argued. Despite the fact that it was a rule, she refused to comply. As a result, a crew of officers were waiting for her as she got off the plane and boy was she pissed. Take a look.

As I said before, this woman gets a lot of empathy for her plight. She was probably doing her best to ensure there wasn't a teary tantrum. BUT that doesn't negate the fact that she was wrong. She comes off more like an entitled, selfish jerk than a beleaguered mom. She admits that she would NEVER comply with that air rule because she is a paying customer. (Never mind the fact that so is everyone else on the plane.) And the way she talked to the police officers is pretty shocking too. I have to wonder if they would have been so tolerant if she weren't a white, seemingly middle-class mom.

Yes, it's hard to rationalize with a 2-year-old and convince them to wear headphones if they don't want to, but that doesn't mean the rest of plane should have to suffer through an annoying kids show. She should have an alternative toy for her kid or tell her that she has to wear the earphones or no iPad.

What do you think about how this mom behaved?

Image via © Marc Romanelli/Blend Images/Corbis

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
fiddlerbird555
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't care to watch videos. Kids are supposed to have better hearing than adults. The mere fact of something making sound shouldn't have irritated the other passengers. Lowering the volume could have worked (assuming this was not the "turn  off all electronics" portion of the flight, in which case she was totally wrong)

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM
I agree with you and my youngest son Jacob will be 3 year old in December.

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Don't care to watch videos. Kids are supposed to have better hearing than adults. The mere fact of something making sound shouldn't have irritated the other passengers. Lowering the volume could have worked (assuming this was not the "turn  off all electronics" portion of the flight, in which case she was totally wrong)

blue_apalt
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Why didn't she just turn it down?  Ive flown with kids plentyof times -at one pt in my life I had 2 toddlers at the same time on flights with me,and yes it can suck, BUT one of the main goals I have as a parent is to teach my kids consideration of others. When they are out and about and around others they consider them, and if that means you turn down something because you're being rude watching it a the the volume you are, then so be it.  You're right for entertainment comes after politeness of those around you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Woman needs to learn how to zip it up  sealed lip and follow directions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Even though kids hearing is better than ours, planes are really loud

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM
We travel a lot, when my dd was 22 months we took a trip to England, our flights are always long; however, we bought the volume controlled headset for her before the first trip and got her used to it.

She knows that in a enclosed space like a plane, restaurants, waiting lines, waiting rooms she can play with the iPhone / iPad but not volume unless wearing a headset.

You need to teach your kids respect for others.

So in my eyes, she has no excuse and is in the wrong.
fiddlerbird555
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I lived in a home just next to the freeway for a couple years. When you have high ambient noise, the "radius" of being able to hear goes way down.  If the video was loud enough to bother people in the next seat, it was too D*MN loud and far louder than someone needed to have while holding it.

Not even mentioning the detail that parents should be adults.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Even though kids hearing is better than ours, planes are really loud
Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Oops, looks like I forgot to type the rest of my answer. Lol

For that same reason, you need the headset to not to bother others.

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

I lived in a home just next to the freeway for a couple years. When you have high ambient noise, the "radius" of being able to hear goes way down.  If the video was loud enough to bother people in the next seat, it was too D*MN loud and far louder than someone needed to have while holding it.

Not even mentioning the detail that parents should be adults.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Even though kids hearing is better than ours, planes are really loud

Quoting fiddlerbird555:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

People should wear headphones and be mindful of others on planes or not turn on the ipad at all.  That Mom was a bitch.  She thinks she is entitled and she is not. 

She was a paying customer?  Um, last time I looked so was everyone around her was also. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)