• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I'm gonna deprive him after taking that away...

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM
  • 16 Replies
My 4 year old has a pretty significant book assortment because he loves reading books at night time before bed. BUT he is always making a mess of them so I took them away and they're gonna be taken away at least for a month or two because I need the break from it lol. I feel horrible but I am just SO sick of it. I explained to him why they were going away and had him help me put them in the box and he said he was ok with it. Ughhh
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Doesn't he know he needs to clean up his mess and put his books away?
Baechlemom2
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM
He needs to be reminded constantly to pick things up. Also I'm really picky about how the books go back on the shelf. His beds headboard is shelves so they have to be stacked on top of each other.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Doesn't he know he needs to clean up his mess and put his books away?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Well, he's four so he's probably going to need reminded and if your the one that picking apart how he put the books away then do it yourself. If the headboard shelf is the problem then get him a real bookshelf if he really loves his books.

Quoting Baechlemom2: He needs to be reminded constantly to pick things up. Also I'm really picky about how the books go back on the shelf. His beds headboard is shelves so they have to be stacked on top of each other.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Doesn't he know he needs to clean up his mess and put his books away?
Baechlemom2
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM
I don't ever criticize him while he's picking it up, I fix it at night when I put him to bed. I'm tired if having to fight him to pick them up and the amount of time that he takes to do it. He doesn't have a very good attention span.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Well, he's four so he's probably going to need reminded and if your the one that picking apart how he put the books away then do it yourself. If the headboard shelf is the problem then get him a real bookshelf if he really loves his books.

Quoting Baechlemom2: He needs to be reminded constantly to pick things up. Also I'm really picky about how the books go back on the shelf. His beds headboard is shelves so they have to be stacked on top of each other.

JAM513
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Leave one or two books out and tell him everytime he cleans hos mess up he earns a book back
Baechlemom2
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a good idea. I might do a sticker chart or something, been meaning to do it anyway.

Quoting JAM513: Leave one or two books out and tell him everytime he cleans hos mess up he earns a book back
JAM513
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I try to think outside the box haha good luck :)

Quoting Baechlemom2: That's a good idea. I might do a sticker chart or something, been meaning to do it anyway.

Quoting JAM513: Leave one or two books out and tell him everytime he cleans hos mess up he earns a book back
AuntieM
by Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Of course he doesn't have a good attention span. He's 4!

Quoting Baechlemom2: I don't ever criticize him while he's picking it up, I fix it at night when I put him to bed. I'm tired if having to fight him to pick them up and the amount of time that he takes to do it. He doesn't have a very good attention span.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Well, he's four so he's probably going to need reminded and if your the one that picking apart how he put the books away then do it yourself. If the headboard shelf is the problem then get him a real bookshelf if he really loves his books.

Baechlemom2
by Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 6:01 AM
I'm aware that 4 year olds don't have good attention spans. But his pre k teacher has even made a comment about his lack of one.

Quoting AuntieM: Of course he doesn't have a good attention span. He's 4!

Quoting Baechlemom2: I don't ever criticize him while he's picking it up, I fix it at night when I put him to bed. I'm tired if having to fight him to pick them up and the amount of time that he takes to do it. He doesn't have a very good attention span.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

If what I did never met expectations, and my mom always re-did my work anyway - I wouldn't bother to do it either.  If he puts them away at all - even messily - that is big for a four-year-old.  He will get more neat as he gets older. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)