Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was my work colleague rude?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I just overheard one colleague ask another if she was coming to our Christmas party next week. Her reply was along the lines of 'God no, I've better things to do than spend an evening with people from work'.
I think she was rude, ungracious and condescending.
Fair enough, the office party isn't everyone's cup of tea but surely all you have to say is 'no unfortunately I'm not free that night/can't get a babysitter' or somesuch.
Why do some people feel they have to make 'statements' about not socializing with colleagues, as if it makes them superior to all those that do.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GertieK
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

She was rude.

sabrtooth1
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM
4 moms liked this

First, since you were evesdropping, you have no idea of the relationship between the two people involved in the conversation, the context of the statement, or the emotional nature of it.

This could have been a joke, a ongoing thread between friends, or simply a dismissive reply.  In any event, since the comment was not directed AT YOU, you have no business passing judgment upon the speaker.  In the future, you'd be better served if you MYOB.

BL2010
by BL on Dec. 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

First, since you were evesdropping, you have no idea of the relationship between the two people involved in the conversation, the context of the statement, or the emotional nature of it.

This could have been a joke, a ongoing thread between friends, or simply a dismissive reply.  In any event, since the comment was not directed AT YOU, you have no business passing judgment upon the speaker.  In the future, you'd be better served if you MYOB.

csxt99
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Why should she have to lie to spare other people's feelings?

ChrisB73
by on Dec. 14, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Some people just don't like hanging out with their co-workers.  I agree that she could have phrased her response so it was a little less "OMG" but it's just her opinion.  I worked at my job for 9 years and never went to a Christmas party- not because I didn't want to spend time with my co-workers, but more because I didn't want to spend time with company management.

ZamilyMom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

This!  Now if she announced this to everyone in the break room, that would have been rude (not to mention stupid career-wise).

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)