Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't Christians just keep to themselves?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM
  • 24 Replies
2 moms liked this
I honestly don't care what religion anyone is, this is a free country and as long as you aren't hurting anyone, you should be able to believe whatever the heck you want. My problem comes when religious extremists keep trying to place their god into everyone else life via school or placing religious statues on courthouse or park lawns. Why can't they just leave it alone? There are like thousands of churches and religious places they can get together with other Christians and worship or do whatever they want. Why do they need the whole world to be Christian? It's getting very annoying, actually it's beyond annoying at this point. There hasn't been a day in months where I haven't seen a news story of some religious group or person trying to distribute bibles in schools or protesting at abortion clinics. You never see atheists outside of churches or distributing any literature at schools. I would never try to away someone into my way of thinking, that includes my own children. I just don't get it.
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Landon2012
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I don't have a problem with any religion as long as they don't preach to me. The only religion I find really annoying is johhovnah witness. I had to kids come through my line preaching to me about thier god. It's not just Christians I am Christian Luthern and I never put my beliefs on others it all depends on who they are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Freedom of Speech
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:31 PM
3 moms liked this
Absolutely I believe in freedom of speech but when you are taking about school children you are getting into many levels of infringement. Parents have the right to not expose OR to expose their kids to religions. We have the right to send our kids to school without worrying that someone is trying to sway our kids into their way of believing. School is for learning certain things, religion is not one unless you attend a private religious school.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Freedom of Speech
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM
3 moms liked this
I do not see people trying to sway children at school to become Christians. In actuality, it seems to be the other way around, that the children are being pushed away from being Christians. They are told not to pray. They are told not to discuss their faith even with other Christians.

Quoting momofthem311: Absolutely I believe in freedom of speech but when you are taking about school children you are getting into many levels of infringement. Parents have the right to not expose OR to expose their kids to religions. We have the right to send our kids to school without worrying that someone is trying to sway our kids into their way of believing. School is for learning certain things, religion is not one unless you attend a private religious school.

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this
They shouldn't be being told any of that stuff at school, that's my point. Religion has no place at school.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I do not see people trying to sway children at school to become Christians. In actuality, it seems to be the other way around, that the children are being pushed away from being Christians. They are told not to pray. They are told not to discuss their faith even with other Christians.

Quoting momofthem311: Absolutely I believe in freedom of speech but when you are taking about school children you are getting into many levels of infringement. Parents have the right to not expose OR to expose their kids to religions. We have the right to send our kids to school without worrying that someone is trying to sway our kids into their way of believing. School is for learning certain things, religion is not one unless you attend a private religious school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Is this happening where you live?

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Not the huge things like passing out bibles and such but in small ways it happens every day where I live. We live in Texas, in the Bible Belt. My child( only one of ours is in school, the other does online school ) is exposed daily to "god" things wether it be in the form of sayings on clothing(which I don't care about that because that's freedom of expression) or scripture sayings on those little calendar things on teachers desks, or the being taught religious songs for Xmas programs. So yes I guess in a sense it does happen where I live.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Is this happening where you live?

SuckIt69
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I live in Texas and those things never have happened to me in schools. I see the opposite, telling kids to keep their religion at home and not even say you're Christian.
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM
For me, where we live, it's completely normal to speak about church, god, the bible, or anything god related.

Quoting SuckIt69: I live in Texas and those things never have happened to me in schools. I see the opposite, telling kids to keep their religion at home and not even say you're Christian.
RoaringLion
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I completely agree. I couldn't care less what you believe in, but it's when you try to get in between a woman and her medical rights, or dictate who can get married, that I start to have a problem with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)