Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you spend big bucks pampering your kids at the spa?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM
  • 4 Replies

$50 for a 5-Year-Old's Facial -- Why, That's Just Fabulous, Darling

Kids Spa Treatments

What little girl doesn't love to imitate mom and dream of what it's like to be a grown-up lady and indulge in a little day spa pampering? And what mother doesn't love to share part of the whole girl experience with her daughters? My kids have gotten mani-pedis before, is all I'm saying.

But there's a difference between a little indulgence at the nail salon or glitter sprinkled into freshly braided hair, and the flat-out ridiculousness that comes in the form of $50 facials for children.

No really. Tots staying with their uber-glam parents (or let's be honest -- nannies) at the Beverly Wilshire in Los Angeles can shell out $50 (plus tip!) to indulge in a 15-minute facial, complete with an "application of a candy-flavoured lip gloss."

Seriously Spoiled Salon in New York has a 10- to 15-minute "mini chocolate facial" that will only set you back $19.95. It's recommended for ages 5 to 8.

Let's not even get started on the creepiness factor of massages being offered for small children. Maybe I'm a prude, but I'm just not OK with strangers rubbing my children. Besides, I hardly think first graders need the tension rubbed out of their neck and shoulders.

In the interest of sanity, here's a list of cheap or free alternatives you can provide for your little princes and princesses when they're feeling like only a trip to the spa will do.

The Superhero: $50 at Beverly Wilshire. "A green-based aromatherapy spray will help your powerful superhero muscles morph back to relaxation during a neck, shoulder, and hand massage."
Alternative: Allow younger brother to spray her with a water pistol ($2.99). Then let family cat walk on her back.
Cost Saved: $47.01, which will buy you at least three boxes of wine if you find a good sale.

Colored Hair Extension: $10 at Seriously Spoiled.
Alternative: Let your little darlings go wild with the washable markers ($3.60). Just make sure they're washable, or you'll be hearing about it for weeks from Grandma.
Cost Saved: $6.40, enough for a latte and a cookie from Starbucks.

Pampered in the Spa: $60 at Beverly Wilshire. "Get your 'paws' pampered after a long day of activities in Los Angeles with a vitamin C hand and foot exfoliation followed by a relaxing hand and foot massage."
Alternative: $4 for a 5-pound box of cuties. Have your kids squish some of the juice on their palms and roll whole ones between their little digits.
Cost Saved: $56, the exact amount of those shoes you were eyeing at Nordstrom Rack.

Ultimate Day of Decadence: $119.95 at Seriously Spoiled. Includes mani-pedi with nail art, hair styling, chocolate facial, glitter makeover, use of pink robe and slippers, and lunch in the Peppermint Lounge.
Alternative: Let them go wild in the backyard with a bottle of Hershey's syrup ($2.25) while wearing your tattered old bathrobe. Hose 'em down and invite them inside for some delicious organic chicken nuggets ($5.99) and Country Time Lemonade ($2.54). Let them choose a polish from the bottom of your bathroom drawer after quickly hiding the condoms in another location.
Cost Saved: $109.17, which is enough for at least one therapy session not covered by your insurance plan.

Ritz Kids Teen Facial: $130 at Ritz-Carlton. "Designed for young spa-goers ages 16-17, this facial begins with a personal analysis of the skin followed by a deep cleansing and a relaxing facial massage."
Alternative: Proactive ($29.99).
Cost Saved: $100.01, which will fill up the gas tank twice after your teen driver has left the family sedan empty -- again.

Would you spend big bucks pampering your kids at the spa?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:48 AM

HELL NO.  Its ridiculous.  Just adding to the generation of entitled brats.  Many spas won't take kids under 16 except for mani and pedi's. 

Reese2010727
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM
Heck no..we could have a girl's day at home for free
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Insane!

We went on a cruise and my dh and I got a massage, our dd6 asked if she could get one (just because mom and dad and grandma and aunt did) I said nope, you can get those when you are 18 and older and that was it.

I do not let her have nail polish nor make up, only on special ocassions and she gets very light pink or glitter on her nails, I got her clear mascara and lip gloss and that is it.

Little girls are not mini adults, they are kids, if other parents want their little girls looking like prostitutes, fine by me, as my dh says, the world needs all kind of professions, but my dd won't be like those kids.

Lolitalux
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:22 PM
No but I would spend big bucks getting a babysitter while I got pampered at the spa.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)