Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does a dog bite automatically mean death for the dog?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM
  • 32 Replies

My mom's little yappy dog, some kind of terrier mix, bit one of the neighborhood kids this morning. She let the dog out into the fenced-in sideyard to do her business, and the dog bit the kid who had climbed the fence to retrieve a ball or something. Now the kid's mom is calling for the "vicious" animal to be put down for biting her kid, but the kid was trespassing and the dog has a right to protect its home and itself from intrusion, right? Plus, she's only a puppy, a smaller version of this poodle terrier mix:

Does a dog bite automatically mean the dog should be put to death? We don't have any local laws about mandatory death sentences for dogs that bite people or animals, just standard leash laws that don't apply if the dog is in the confines of a fenced yard. 

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM
I would call the vet or someone to the nature and explain to them what happened n ask them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 12:47 PM
How bad was the bite? Did he need stitches? I don't think the dog should have to die. She's a puppy and the kid trespassed. She might have thought he was just trying to play and she was being too rough. Puppies nip all the time. My grandfathers dog killed 2 neighbor dogs and she didn't have to be put down. I know that they paid a very large fee for her doing that though. But he adored that dog and didn't want her to die even though she is very vicious to people and animals. This dog doesn't seem vicious from the sound of it though.

Quoting PINKmyfavcolor:

My mom's little yappy dog, some kind of terrier mix, bit one of the neighborhood kids this morning. She let the dog out into the fenced-in sideyard to do her business, and the dog bit the kid who had climbed the fence to retrieve a ball or something. Now the kid's mom is calling for the "vicious" animal to be put down for biting her kid, but the kid was trespassing and the dog has a right to protect its home and itself from intrusion, right? Plus, she's only a puppy, a smaller version of this poodle terrier mix:

Does a dog bite automatically mean the dog should be put to death? We don't have any local laws about mandatory death sentences for dogs that bite people or animals, just standard leash laws that don't apply if the dog is in the confines of a fenced yard. 

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:42 PM

It all depends on the laws in your area.  Look up DOG BITE STATUTES for your state, county, and city.  The rules of ALL THREE APPLY.  It also depends on how much the neighbor wants to persue the case.  They can sue your mother, as well as press charges.  The first thing your mom should have done, was call her homeowners insurance and alert them.  They may or may NOT cover dog bite suits.  She will need to be prepared.  In any event, she should have offered to pay the medical costs of the child.  The outcome depends upon the law, the severity of the bite, whether or not the dog has bitten before, and sometimes, the breed of the dog.  The fact that the child tresspassed may NOT count, depending upon the age of the child, and whether or not the yard was POSTED-- NO TRESSPASSING and BEWARE OF DOG.  If the yard was NOT posted, that usually destroys the trespass defense.

Oh, and if the dog was NOT CURRENT ON IT'S SHOTS, that usually means the dog will at LEAST be impounded, and may have to be destroyed to check for rabies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this

It shouldn't.  Many dogs are taunted by kids etc.  The brat in this article was trespassing anyway.  The Mom is an idiot. 

EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I think the kid was at fault-he should have come to the door and asked for someone in the family to get the ball.  The dog was not vicious but startled.  Kid had no business being in the yard.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:17 PM
Check your local and state laws. Or just contact your animal control officer......who should have already been contacted by the mom....as a report of a "vicious" dog.

The mom should be embarrassed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM
No, a kid I used to watch got bit by a great Dane, from ear to ear, the family wanted to put the dog down, SPCA said nope.

The girl walked in the room as the great Dane was lunging at the smaller dog (they were fighting) the girl just had bad timing.

But it definitely is situation based!
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM
That depends on where you live. Your vet will know. My area the dog would live.
Memere60
by Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:22 AM

That child should not have been in the yard. I have a terrier mix, and he used to be a biter. I think my dog would go nuts if someone got in our back yard, hopefully he wouldn't bite now (but I don't know). My dog is a rescue, so I don't know his history. I hope this dog doesn't have to pay the price because someone was in his territory. 

How badly did he hurt the little boy?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:25 AM
I think it was the kid fault and if they want to sue, I'd file a report for trespassing against the kid and if pursue until something is done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)