Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:46 PM
  • 12 Replies
My hubby is an avid golfer. There's a big group of guys that he plays with regularly,about 3 times a week. Every year the whole group goes on a trip to Myrtle Beach SC. While the guys play golf everyday the wives shop.
Here's my issue.
I'm just really not much of a shopper. I've just never been someone who buys things I don't need,nor am I a 'nic-nac' person.
These ladies spend $22 for a salad! I mean seriously?!

This year will be the fourth year we've gone.

I would love to stay home while he goes and has a good time.
If I say anything he will cancel and I will feel guilty.
What should I do?

Keep quiet, grin-and-bear it, spend way more money than I want to. Or discuss it with him?
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM

If you have the money to go, I would.  I would just budget for shopping and don't go over that.  I mean I love to window shop myself.  I agree, even at an expensive place a salad shouldn't be $22.  

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
He should be able to enjoy himself independently of you. I would tell him I do not want to go but you are free to go enjoy yourself.
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:10 PM

You should go and have fun.If you don't want ot shop or buy over priced food,don't.Do what makes you happy. I would go to a spa everday for a massage.Workout at a gym,get a mani and a pedi....those are things that I like to do,do things that you like to do.Bring a friend if it helps.

by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Can't you go, just to go on vaca? Skip the shopping and do something else. Ask some of the ladies, there may be others with your same thought, yet they go along with the crowd, until someone else brings something up.

OR...pick a place that you can go vaca while hes golfing on vaca. 

by BL on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:19 PM

If it were me, I'd go but not go shopping with the ladies everyday. I'm not into that either. You can do other things either by yourself you talk to the ladies about doing other things. Check out what else there is to do. Like someone else said you can get a mani/pedi, hang out at the beach/pool read a book and people watch for a while.

What do YOU like to do?

by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Discuss with him and perhaps you two can go somewhere else, where he can play golf while you do what you like to do without all that pressure.  Las Vegas has some nice golf course places. 

by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2015 at 8:17 AM

My husband does the same thing - only it is horse shoe pitching with him.  World tournament takes him to somewhere different each year.  One year it was in Canada, and I went.  I have gone with him a couple of other times - but only when I didn't have a client due (midwife) - or it was a state/area I was interested in seeing.  He should feel free to go if he wants, even if you don't.  I look forward to the 3-4 WEEKS he is gone.  He and his two buds load of a truck with camping equipment and hit the road.  Sometimes they stay in a motel, sometimes they camp.  The tournament lasts for about a week.  I enjoy the time alone, but by the end of the time, I am so ready for him to come home because I do miss him.  We have been married almost 42 years.

by Carin on Feb. 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Well, is there a written contract that says you have to shop? Go on the trip, but do what you want to do. If you enjoy being around the other women, go for it, but don't feel obligated to spend money while in their company. I'm not a knick knack person either, but sometimes I just like to look around at stuff. Window shopping can be fun too.

by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Unless you hate the entire experience and not just the shopping part I'd go.  Except I would not go shopping, I'd plan to do things I like instead so maybe go for a walk, swim, visit museums, read a book, etc.  Just be honest with the other wives ahead of time and say you really hate shopping and let them know what your plans are and that they are welcome to join if they'd like and if not happy shopping and you will all meet up for dinner later and catch up.

by on Feb. 8, 2015 at 5:44 PM

I would go and go sight seeing or something besides shopping.  There are always great things to do.  And if you look in the paper, there are always free things to do too.  You can look online before you for the things to do.  It might be fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)