Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think that if we didn't die, ...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies
There would be no need for religion?
I'm an atheist so the answer to this is easy for me but I wonder what believers think. Can you answer objectively? This is not a "let's bash religion" post. It's an honest question.
Side note.....as an atheist, I have no issue with being question as to why I am an atheist, I have no issue with being told I could be wrong so please don't take the defensive immediately. I just ask these questions to see if we can have civil discussions and I'm truly curious as to what makes others minds think the way they do.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

There would still be a 'need' for it because many use it as a crutch in their daily....or not so daily lives. It also gives them a scapegoat when things don't go as they'd like. You know...it's not bad decision-making on their part, "it's Gods will", or "its the Devils hand". 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:33 PM
That's how I feel too. I'm still curious as to why others feel the way they do. I have no problem being challenged to defend my beliefs, it just always seems believers do.

Quoting EireLass:

There would still be a 'need' for it because many use it as a crutch in their daily....or not so daily lives. It also gives them a scapegoat when things don't go as they'd like. You know...it's not bad decision-making on their part, "it's Gods will", or "its the Devils hand". 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 9:39 PM

I'm a believer. But I don't do the things I listed, in my own life, or for myself. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's how I feel too. I'm still curious as to why others feel the way they do. I have no problem being challenged to defend my beliefs, it just always seems believers do.
Quoting EireLass:

3mom627
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
That's an interesting question. I would hope people would still have morals and values.Even when people do have a religion, they don't always do what is morally right. Offhand think of ISIS as a prime example.

3MOM627

have a nice day

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 24, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Only something some athiest would ask.  Shakes my head.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2015 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this
If that's true I think that's sad. Why can't a religious person objectively question their own beliefs? Why do so many religious think they are IT? That they are without a doubt 100% correct in their beliefs? That's why I think religion goes hand in hand with arrogance. Just my opinion.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 24, 2015 at 6:41 PM
That's your interpretation. You and others like you seem to put posts like this all the time. It gets so old. Atheist attacking Christians. Just move on. You seem to be the arrogant one.

Quoting Anonymous 1: If that's true I think that's sad. Why can't a religious person objectively question their own beliefs? Why do so many religious think they are IT? That they are without a doubt 100% correct in their beliefs? That's why I think religion goes hand in hand with arrogance. Just my opinion.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

mollymcleod
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that, for some, religion makes death less scary. So if we didn't die, religion would still be around but, for some, it would be unecessary. However, death or no death, it wouldn't change my views on religion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 24, 2015 at 6:48 PM

I think people will always have religion.  So if we never die, meaning we do not need food, water, shelter, we can burn, or drown, or freeze, i guess, whats the point of living? it's a tough question. but i feel people would always pray for a good day, a happy one. for their friends, and family, even if nothing bad comes their way. i think it's just a way for people to feel complete, to truly let go of some awful things that may have happened in their past.  That is with assuming bad things can still happen in a world where people don't die. It's an interested topic... i hope too many people didnt talk smack about you or it, becuase it truly is a good question in my opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 24, 2015 at 6:48 PM

A true atheist wouldn't think of questions like these.  Rolleyes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)