Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things I never thought I'd hear myself saying. Country folk have got to me!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
Y'all is one. "I'm fixin to..." "I'm goin to town" "y'all better act right"

How about y'all?...LOL

I was born a Yankee then moved California when I was about 6, then moved to Texas when I was 15. Been here ever since with a brief period in Arizona. I guess it was inevitable.
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momofthem311
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:17 PM
No one? Guess I'm posted out today by more interesting topics....lol
Mtnsmith
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

As we Southerners would say, 'that gal finely learned to talk right'!

My husband's a former Midwesterner (they - hilariously - think they have no accents)... the other day he said he wanted bacon and aiggs for breakfast...

Think of it as protective coloration!

momofthem311
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol that hilarious because my husband who's a full blown country boy and redneck always makes fun of how I say eggs. He says I say aiggs too...lol

Quoting Mtnsmith:

As we Southerners would say, 'that gal finely learned to talk right'!

My husband's a former Midwesterner (they - hilariously - think they have no accents)... the other day he said he wanted bacon and aiggs for breakfast...

Think of it as protective coloration!

athorne
by Anna on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:19 AM
Lol. I am from WV and I don't talk like that. It's pretty common in the southern part of my state and the other states in the south, but not everyone in those states talk like that. What gets me is people who say "crick" instead of "creek" "boosh" instead of "bush" and "worsh" instead of "wash."
Cafe Steph
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm from AL, born and raised, so to me, saying "y'all" or dropping "g" off of "ing" words is just standard, not country. To me, country is a whole other way of saying things, like "winder" (window) or "y'on go" instead of "do you want to go?"

EarlGrayHot
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:00 PM

It grates on my last nerve to hear people say "y'all."   Don't go over to the dark side! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Not really. I lived in Texas for over 15 years and never picked up those oral habits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM
I'm from NYC, I don't do this but others (many) add the letter r to words, idear is one, my name gets an r added to it. We say neva instead of never, suga for sugar, that's mostly queens and some of Brooklyn. Now I live out if state and sometimes I get looks.
cblzmomma
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 3:16 PM
Y'all better act right, worsh, now-a-days. Are all a part of our daily speech.We are both ohio natives, although he spent 10yrs in Texas & I a few in Tennessee. No one in our redneck hometown in ohio thinks our speech odd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)