Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Graduation: How much do you give as a gift?

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM
  • 5 Replies

Apparently I know quite a few teens graduating from high school this year. I've already received 4 announcements and am expecting more.

What is an appropriate amount of money to give? Am I expected to give a gift to every student who sends an announcement/invitation?

by on May. 17, 2015 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 17, 2015 at 1:35 PM

No, it is fine to give just a card.  An invite doesn't mean you have to give money to everyone.  

Seagodess
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I think a card for them is fine. If you are really close to someone and want to send a gift or money, send what you can afford.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM

A card is plenty.  Family or close friends children I will send money to.  If I know they are going off to college(live on campus) I may get them something for their dorm room(huggable hangers, desk organizer, etc).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM

I don't have a lot of money - DH and I are saving for a home.... but a month after we got married I got a few announcements from cousins (and a cousin's stepson). I ended up sending $20 to each of them. I wanted to show that I cared, one of my cousins - his parents sent me and DH on our Honeymoon - so I defintely wanted to send him something.... but if I wasn't close - probably nothing other than a card, or if I was planning on stopping by the party - maybe something small like a graduation frame/keychain (but I wouldn't ship it...).

TigerofMu
by on May. 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM

It depends on your budget too.  We write a check for $25 to each graduate, and our community center also gives them $25, but only the ones we receive invitations from.  This year there were four, last year there were five, next year I know of at least three (all nieces).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)