Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Puts Garbage Bag on Boy With Special Needs Because He Drools?!

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM
  • 6 Replies

Teacher Puts Garbage Bag on Boy With Special Needs Because He Drools 

When a parent drops their child off at school, he or she hopes to pick them up in the same condition which they were delivered (they aren't a UPS package, but you get the point). Chicago mom Nyesha Terry is very upset after she found her 5-year-old son with special needs wearing a trash bag.

To make the situation worse, Lloyd was put in a trash bag the following day -- even after Nyesha spoke to his kindergarten teacher. Needless to say, the school and child services are looking into the matter.

>>CLICK HERE for VIDEO on the story<<

I can only imagine how this mother feels -- not only to see her son wearing a trash bag, but find him sitting by himself in class. Given her son has epilepsy and is non-verbal, it would be any parent's hope that their child receives the same treatment as anyone else.

There are tons of questions that are going through my mind about this situation. Did Lloyd have a change of clothes with him (his teacher said he wet his shirt from drooling which is why the makeshift poncho was created) in the event something like this happened? If additional bibs were available in class, why wasn't one of them used? Why was this done the following day, especially after the mom expressed her frustrations? Were no clothes provided to make this the only solution possible?

Maybe it's my optimism when it comes to people, but I would like to think this teacher didn't put Lloyd in a trash bag out of ill will (now why he was isolated from everyone else, I don't know) -- though some would have to question if there was a better alternative.

I feel so bad for this little boy...

Should ALL teachers be required to get training on coping with special needs children who are mainstreamed into their classrooms?

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DellaG
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I worked on the medical buses for awhile. We had a few SN kids who drooled constantly. Their parents provided bibs for them to wear at all times. While I think the decision to wrap a garbage bag was definitely in poor taste I don't think the teacher was trying to be cruel. If the Mom cannot afford to provide bibs and extra clothes maybe someone in the community could donate some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:37 PM

He should have bibs provided by the parents.  

EarlGrayHot
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I question whether mainstreaming is always the best idea.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 7:12 AM

That is totally outrageous! If she can't handle these situations she should NOT be a teacher.bad

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2015 at 5:25 PM
It was in poor taste but not a bad idea. It kept him clean and dry. It's the same concept as wrapping a shopping bag around your hair in the rain. It may not be what it's made for...but it works. It keeps the part of you that you want dry, dry. Plus it's easily disposable.

Still. I don't know why the teacher thought that no one would be offended by that. Its a special needs kid in a trash bag. Seriously.
diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2015 at 5:29 PM
This:

Quoting mamamiajk:

That is totally outrageous! If she can't handle these situations she should NOT be a teacher.bad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)