Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever tried to breastfeed in public?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

'How to Breastfeed in Public' Shows the Realities of Nursing on the Go (VIDEO)

Public breastfeeding viral video

Breastfeeding outside the home can be quite frustrating at times. Aside from crossing your fingers your little one will latch without hassle, moms often face a variety of issues -- including stinky bathrooms, and folks who can't help but stare. Hopefully this public breastfeeding video will make you laugh and nurse in confidence.

With over 738,000 subscribers (and counting), What's Up Moms knows a thing or two about making a funny YouTube video. Cofounder Meg Resnikoff is a mother of three who had no issues stepping in front of the camera to bring humor to an often nerve-racking reality breastfeeding moms likely face:

Public nursing.

More from The Stir: 10 Ways to Say 'I'm So Sorry for Breastfeeding in Public' (Not)

This video features five easy steps a mommy can take, along with oh-so-real situations that can, and probably will, happen. If anything, you'll find yourself nodding your head like, "Yup, I've been there."

Kudos to you if you give a flying flip who sees you -- or your "nursing machines," for that matter -- when you decide to feed your baby. You're right, it shouldn't be a huge deal, but sadly is. At least this "How to Breastfeed in Public" video reiterates how big of a deal it really isn't.

Side note: Nursing covers and I don't get along (I'll either use a blanket or shirt to cover my boob). We tried to date, but that relationship ended in flames.

More from The Stir: You're Right, Public Breastfeeding Really Is All About You (VIDEO)

Thanks for the laugh, What's Up Moms.

Have you ever tried to breastfeed in public?

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Ive breastfed in public a lot. I don't use a cover. By and large people don't seem to notice or care.
lilmisscee1974
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:35 AM
I always did..Uncovered.
DreamJoyHope_R
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM
I do, I don't use a cover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xexpectingxmomx
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM

I do all the time and don't use a cover because Lucas won't nurse under one. Nobody has ever bothered me or anything, though. They usually just smile and nod and keep moving.

Mom blinkies  Mom blinkies

newwifenmom
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 1:56 PM

LMBO! Yes,I did.

HunnyBabie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 4:49 AM

I get that there can be ??? coordination issues? with breastfeeding in public, but I think the biggest problem is moms who try to make a big deal out of breastfeeding, while they are in public, meaning moms who make a spectical (sp) of themselves by not covering up and moms who make an equal spectical (no, I still don't know how to spell it) of themselves by making a big show of covering up.

I've breastfed all my children in public from birth until at least six months old (when they can wait until we get to the car or home), and I've never once had anyone stare (well, I did have a few stares b/c the blanket I was covering up w/ didn't go w/ my shirt and I'm sure the individuals were wondering why I'd wear that ugly scarf w/ such a pretty top; I've gotten that look before when it was warrented, so I ignored it the same way).  But I've never made a big deal of covering up, I just do it.  I've never made a big show that I'm breastfeeding; I'm trying to feed my baby, not make a point to the world.

Why can't moms grow up and just feed their children the way they choose?

And, a tip for some moms who might not think of this in advance (I didn't), practicing in the comfort and privacy of your own home is a lot more convenient and less embarrassing than either having to run to the car to feed the baby or dropping everything b/c the very first time we try to breastfeed under a receiving blanket is out in public.  KWIM?

I've been there (dropping everything, b/c the first time I tried to breastfeed under a blanket was out in public) and now I can breastfeed under a cloth diaper if need be.

JennaBea
by Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM

nope :)

Dardenella
by Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 10:37 PM

I always breast fed where ever I was.  I did not go to a bath room to feed and I didn't have any issues.  BUT There is a discrete way to feed and an in your face way.  Discrete does not mean hiding your child under a blanket.  I looked into my child's eyes as she or he fed and that would be difficult through a blanket.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)