Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Tells Student God Doesn't Exist??

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:00 AM
  • 14 Replies

Teacher Tells Student God Doesn't Exist

Look, I get separation of church and state, and believe that religion should not be taught as fact by public school teachers. I also don't believe that teachers should present any legit religions as fiction, either. So I have a huge problem when I hear about a middle school teacher instructing students that God is just a myth.

12-year-old Jordan Wooley was given an assignment on Monday at West Memorial Junior High School in Katy, Texas that made her uncomfortable. Her teacher asked the students to identify statements as facts, opinions or commonplace assertions, and one of the prompts was on God.

Jordan identified the existence of God as both a fact and an opinion, the teacher told her that she was wrong. The tween told the local news that she believed God existed as a fact, but wanted to be respectful to other people's beliefs, and allowed that it could also be an opinion to some.

More from The Stir: 'Bring Your Bible to School Day' Is a Great Idea for Kids of All Religions

Jordan's mom, Chantel Wooley contacted the school, and also posted these screenshot of texts between her and her daughter to her Facebook page.

"In this day in age, I would have never guessed that something like this would happen in a classroom in America," she told ABC News.

Mother and daughter also attended a school board meeting, where the youngster shared her side of the story to those present. How freaking brave is that girl? She just stood up for her beliefs in a major way, and I bet her mom is as proud of her as she is upset about the situation.

The school issued a statement saying that the teacher was "distraught" over being vilified by the incident, and that the ungraded assignment had been misconstrued. I'm not sure about that ... why even include that question at all? There's no reason at all for teachers to teach students that any religion is true or false. If they're going to teach about it, the only way to do is to stick with the actual facts -- here are the core beliefs of this religion, which many people hold to be factually accurate. 

Teaching them God is a myth is not educational -- it's just plain wrong.

Would you be angry with a teacher for insisting any religion is real or not real?

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:11 AM

yes

redheadtmk
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I will reserver judgement until I read more on the subject and hear the teachers side of the story. If this is the same story that was posted earlier with a screen shot of the actual worksheet, there were three options. Myth, fact, and common asserstions. While I am a Christian and believe in God wholeheartedly, I realize that I do that because of my faith, not because of any solid, tangible proof that I have been able to see, touch, hear etc. So based off the assignment, people believing in God is a common assertion. If she truly was required to put myth, I would be upset. If she thought she had to put myth but the teacher really wanted common assertion, then the girl was wrong and needs to understand the point of the assignment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Yes I would be upset. If I wanted him to learn about religion I would take him to church. I don't think religion should be talked about or taught at school at all.
romalove
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:24 PM

This has been blown out of proportion.  I'll start by saying because people are so sensitive about religion she likely shouldn't have used it as an example.

Trying to explain that something is factual or opinion is important.  Many people confuse the two.

God being real is an opinion.  God being not real is an opinion.  Anything said about God is an opinion.  It isn't factual because it is not based on evidence and can't be proven.

Chicken can be cooked and eaten as food is a fact.  I can give evidence of people cooking and eating chicken and surviving it to show that it's a fact.

Chicken is delicious is an opinion.  I cannot give any evidence that this is a universally accepted fact and can actually find people who will tell you they find chicken disgusting.

Barack Obama is the current President is a fact.

Barack Obama is a good President is an opinion.

Most people would accept those as good examples.

But

When we get to religion and God, people confuse their beliefs with facts.  

NO MATTER WHAT YOU BELIEVE, no matter what God you believe in, if you don't believe in anything at all, those are all opinions and you can't claim your beliefs as truthful facts.

That is what the teacher was trying to impart, not to tell the kid, don't believe, your belief isn't real.

The belief is real.  The belief is also an opinion.

It doesn't sound like the kids got the correct message from the lesson.

boredmomof1
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM
No one has the right to tell my child that God is real or that God is fake. As his parent that is my job. I feel the same way about Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, or any other made up character.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Same as if a teacher told an athiest student God does exist.  Why is this different?  Same either way.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 30, 2015 at 5:48 AM
You said this well.. I believe God is real, but I know not everyone shares my same opinion

Quoting romalove:

This has been blown out of proportion.  I'll start by saying because people are so sensitive about religion she likely shouldn't have used it as an example.

Trying to explain that something is factual or opinion is important.  Many people confuse the two.

God being real is an opinion.  God being not real is an opinion.  Anything said about God is an opinion.  It isn't factual because it is not based on evidence and can't be proven.

Chicken can be cooked and eaten as food is a fact.  I can give evidence of people cooking and eating chicken and surviving it to show that it's a fact.

Chicken is delicious is an opinion.  I cannot give any evidence that this is a universally accepted fact and can actually find people who will tell you they find chicken disgusting.

But

NO MATTER WHAT YOU BELIEVE, no matter what God you believe in, if you don't believe in anything at all, those are all opinions and you can't claim your beliefs as truthful facts.

That is what the teacher was trying to impart, not to tell the kid, don't believe, your belief isn't real.

romalove
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous 3: You said this well.. I believe God is real, but I know not everyone shares my same opinion
Quoting romalove:

But

Thanks  :-)

romalove
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Quoting boredmomof1: No one has the right to tell my child that God is real or that God is fake. As his parent that is my job. I feel the same way about Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, or any other made up character.

The teacher didn't tell the child that God is real or that God is fake.

The teacher told the child that whatever she thinks about God, it's an opinion.

It is an important thing for kids (and adults) to know how to critically think and evaluate what they read and see and absorb.

Saying something is an opinion and not a fact is not negative.  It isn't saying that's not true.  It's saying, there's no proof that what you think is true or untrue, or that it's a personal preference.  Should the time arise when what you believe has proof, the opinion could move from simply opinion to fact.

romalove
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Same as if a teacher told an athiest student God does exist.  Why is this different?  Same either way.  

Why do you think that a teacher saying belief in God is an opinion is the same thing as saying God doesn't exist or isn't real?

Do you think belief in God is a fact or do you understand belief, or lack thereof, is an opinion?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)