Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it okay for children to call their parents by their first names?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM
  • 20 Replies

Is it okay for children to call their parents by their first names?

I overheard a boy tell his bio-mom - not a stepmom or girlfriend or anything - that she forgot to give him $10 for his field trip today. She hurried over and gave it to him and I didn't say anything, but I really didn't like how he talked to her like she was beneath him and addressed her by her first name.

Would you be okay with that?

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DensHag
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:12 PM
Nope. Unless it was one of those times when my kid said "Mom", and 15 women turned to answer!

Otherwise I find it disrepectful.
PartyOfGirls
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Every parent has the right to allow their children to call them whatever they please. Mine call me by my first name and they do the same with Grandparents its no big deal to me I wasn't born "mom" I was given a name and they should use it if they want too!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:19 PM
My sister and I both call our mom by a nickname version of her first name. It started when we were younger and a baby cousin addressed her that way, and it stuck for nearly the whole family. It's an endearing name for us and isn't disrespectful from anyone's POV except presumptuous outsiders.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:18 PM
My kids have only done it in jest. So it was ok with me.

Someone elses family? Well, not my family, so I wouldnt care.
diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM
No.
autodidact
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM

the only person whose opinion matters in this are those of the parents of child in question.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:16 PM
No it is very rude to call your parent's by there 1st Game.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:22 PM

The name thing? I didn't have a problem with it when my youngest went through it but I have sk's and they called me by my first name but my bio kids called me Mom so she was a little confused. 

My kids and even sk's never talked down to me or rudely and when they did they got into trouble really fast I didn't care where we were or what we were doing they got put in their place right then and there.

It is easy to see the mothers who will be bitching in a couple years when little Johnny tells her to f herself or just laughs at her when she tries to tell him no about something and then goes and does it anyway. She'll be asking what she can do to fix it when he is a tween or teenager when it's too late to do anything.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 7:07 PM
No, that is rude.
JadeHope
by Jade on Apr. 13, 2016 at 12:30 AM
Not all families are the same. I really don't care what my son calls me. It doesn't change the fact that I'm his mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)