Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 17/18 too young?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

My niece, 17, just got a proposal from her boyfriend and wants to get married in a couple of months. Her mom is freaking out that she's too young, but she'll turn 18 in about 2 months and is on her way to college.

Do you think she's too young to get married?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K3412
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Personally, I think it's absolutely too young. I remember exactly how I felt at 17, and while I thought I knew everything and was ready for adulthood, I was sorely mistaken. I know plenty of people get engaged/married at that age, but it wouldn't have been right for me and I will never encourage my children to take that life step so early. 

I would absolutely ask that they wait until they graduate college before getting married. Of course I couldn't control my child at 18, but I wouldn't continue to support them financially in college if those chose to get married.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:14 PM
Well, if that's what she wants, no one can stop her.. not once she turns 18. When I was 18 it was not even something I'd have considered..
imyourPuppy
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:15 PM
I met my DH when I was 16yo and we lived/were official couple ever since (before we got married when I was 20) and I do think it is to young. At the same time the only thing her mother an do is to support her and advise not to have babies until she finishes college.
dragonborn
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:19 PM
I got married at 19. It wasn't too young for me. I knew what I wanted and we're very happy together.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

At that age, the first thing that comes to mind is she's trying to escape something and be rescued. I'd pay close attention to that.

CLA25233
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM
Depends on the person. I was 17 when we engaged and 19 when we married.
Element5
by Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 11:04 AM
I personally would want my daughter/sons to get an education first.. If it's true love then finishing college would only benefit the two. And they can get married after college.

So I would not approve.

Maybe if he was older and would encourage her to get a degree. Obviously he would need to be making a good living! Lol
RockChar
by on Aug. 19, 2016 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

To me, it's too young, but everyone is different, I suppose. At that age, marriage was the farthest thing from my mind lol

mlmynm81
by Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM
18 is too young. I got married 1 week after my 18th. I am still married and it's been 17 years, but I do wish I had waited.
Tracys2
by on Aug. 19, 2016 at 9:02 PM

I don't know about others, but none of my friends got married before about 27, and most of us still married too young :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)