Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have tips for long distance travel by car with babies?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:18 AM
  • 4 Replies
We are planning a trip around Easter to the Rocky Mountains which is a 26 hour drive from us. My son will be 8 months by then and we are going to bring him with us. Does anyone have any tips on driving long distances with babies! Thanks in advance !
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 5:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 6:51 AM

When we did long trips over 14 hours we left at night. That way the kids slept the 12 hours in the car like they normally would. My husband would take the day off and sleep for most of it. Then he could drive overnight. We would leave at like 8 pm. Take the baby at the last miute from crib and strap them into car seat in pjs. have their blanket or lovey rgith there. They should fall back asleep. When they wake in the am. Stop, have their clothes for the day in diaper bag. Go into a restaurant to eat. Have dh order while you take the baby in and change them. Eat  and then take them outside. let them walk around. Get back in the car and rive for another many hours as possible. I would try to do 18 hours day one. That way you are pulling into a hotel around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We always booked hotels with pools. That way we would check in use the pool. Get out have dinner and everyone got to bed early. The folowing day you only need to drive another 6 hours to your destination.

We always packed a cooler with drinks, cut up fruits, cheese easy things that my kids liked. Put a clean wash cloth in a ziploc bag in the cooler. makes clean up easy.  I always found those gift bags with handles held the snacks well. Bring the chunky board books, small toys he hasnt seen. Be sure he has comfortable clothes on in the car. having a small trash barrell in the car, is handy. You can put small amounts of nsack in those cups with the covers kids can reach into. That way he can have snacks without having to stop or you move everything around. Yugurt puffs, the other veggie or cheese puffs  puffs gold fish, berries IF they eat them.  Much easier than trying to hand out snacks. have bottle water NOT in the cooler as well as bottles in it. For making bottles (if needed) or rinsing hands. I always had a ziplock bag uner the seat with a complete outfit for each child, Just in case.

Have a small tote with advil, sunglasses, eye glass wipes, hand sanitizer, extra charges for phones, small 1st aid kit, gum, mints, baby wipes,

Enjoy your trip !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM
Stop a lot. Travel at night if you can.
eagle40tiger
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:38 PM
Stop alot drive at night if u can, keep staff with u that he can do like a favorite toy or something that can keep him busy.
Kivanoka
by on Jan. 23, 2017 at 1:58 PM

Hello! Frankly speaking, from my personal experience, I advise you to travel at night. When children sleep, it is easier to overcome long distances. Of course, if it is not possible, you should make a lot of stops. For children, it will be easier to endure the journey and they will be less tired. As for me, you definitely need to come up with what to do with children in the journey. My kids love to watch cartoons on a tablet or draw. For drawing, I usually download colorings from http://colorkid.net/coloring-pages-young-children/coloring-pages-animals Also, it is necessary to take a lot of water for a trip. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)