Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should I do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I'm a single mom of two boys that are 11 and 8. I'm in school full time finishing up my pre reqs for nursing school/ courses towards my bachelor's degree and I'm studying for the entrance exam. This semester I'm taking microbiology, sociology, history 1302 and technical writing.
I need to work. The problem is I lost my father on Christmas Eve last year and he was my only family member here. My ex husband will watch the kids overnight if I get an overnight job.
Yesterday I got a job offer at a great company and I was told that I can be trained for higher pay if I pass an exam after they train me. I really want to work at this company, but I'll be working nights from 10-6 and then I'll be in school from 9 to noon. My kids go to school from 7:15-2:55 & 8:40-4:30. I am worried that my grades will suffer because I won't have much time to sleep or study.
I'm waiting for an emAil to about the position. I told the woman that I interviewed that I'm on school and I prefer working double weekends or nights. Should I ask if I can work part time or should I just keep on looking for another job?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BL2010
by BL on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Hmm, when you originally applied for this job what hours did you tell them you could work?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2017 at 1:47 PM
I told them that I prefer weekend double shifts or part time nights. She said that she wants to have me full time.

Quoting BL2010:

Hmm, when you originally applied for this job what hours did you tell them you could work?

Thought
by on Aug. 19, 2017 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I really admire how you are persevering, you have my deepest respect. So sorry for the loss of your dad, it is hard.  I don't think anyone can really give you the answer to your question.  You are the only one who can search your heart and weigh out what your children need as it is different for everyone; how much you need to sleep; how much studying you need to do; how much job training is needed.  You might want to consider writing a list with each thing and putting a time estimate as I am sure there are more things that need your attention. It is good that the boys' father will help but you will need a definitve plan as well so you are not stressed out. Perhaps you can talk to your potential employer if you really think this is the place for you. Explain your circumstances once you have assessed what is realistic and see what kind of response you get. I truly wish you well.  It will work out.  God will guide you, just ask for direction.  And take care of YOU as that is important!!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM

Do the full-time and see how it goes because you might not like it and quit after a weeks or so.  You also might want drop a few classes or postpone going to school.

Shree1990
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 10:28 AM

Wow, Wonderwoman! You are motivating me to get up from my ass. You really will do well if you carry on like this. I would try to be as honest with them as possible. By taking up what you won't be able to accomplish is only going to ruin your reputation. So explain your situation, be honest and they will appreciate you for it. If they don't hire you then at least you will be able to reapply after your course. If you take it up with the hours they want, it is humanly impossible to pull all that through without suffering.

gsmom9
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM

Bless you.bowing down

snflwrgrl
by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 10:58 PM
My condolences on the loss of your father. It sounds like you also lost a friend. :'( My mom was one of my best friends! :) It's been almost 5 years since she passed away and I really! miss her. I was a single mom for awhile too. My boys were 4 and 7 when their dad left us. My ex-husband wasn't around much after that so I was glad to read that your ex-husband will help you out. That's great!! I don't ever think it hurts to be honest and upfront about your circumstances and ask. It sounds like you really want this job. I hope it works out for you as long as your grades don't suffer and you will have time to sleep and study and if it doesn't work with your schedule right now, I will be praying for an even better job to come along at the right time. <3 I admire your ambition. You're such a good example for your children. I'll be praying for you this week, for God to give you direction and that you will have peace with your decision. Best wishes always!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)