Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not enough hours in the day...

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi Ladies,

Feeling overwelmed and run down.  Never seem to get enough sleep and always feel like there is too much to do and not enough hours in the day.  Married and recently bought a house in a new town.  DH and I commute over two hours a day and I work full time.  My Mom lives with us and I try and clean and cook for her as well.

Any ideas or tips to help organize my time better and run my household smoother.

by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
happinessforyou
by Member on Oct. 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

HA!!! My DH was the same way... I work as many hours as he does... I cannot be the only one in the house responsible for everything at home. I suggested a house keeper, he said sure thing!!! Best thing to help a marriage IMO..... lol

Quoting EireLass:

I'm always suggesting it to my daughter and her husband. They both work full time, and have a toddler. It would just take such a load off of them. They certainly can afford it.

Quoting anotherandree:

Yes!  I have a friend whos husband REFUSED to help with anything around the house.  Ever.  She told him she was hiring a housekeeper to come in 2x a week and if he didn't like it, then he should start pitching in.  They've had the service for 5 years now and I seriously think it saved their marriage.  (He is still a lazy jerk but she loves him.)

Quoting EireLass:

I'm not being snarky....please don't take it that way. But if you're commuting that much every day, you must be earning a great paycheck. 2 paychecks, as well as your mom's income (talking about a communal living situation)....allows for paid help. A housekeeper. It will free up so much time.

jad1027
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I know my commute sounds crazy, but the perks out way the commute.  The reason we moved away from our jobs was more bang for our buck.  We moved from NYC to CT.  In NYC we would have nieghbors right on top of us and the suburds surounding NYC are still too costly.

Won't be like this forever, down the round I will be able to get some help in and maybe get a job closer to home.  Just looking for some quick fixes now to help with day to day living. Women juggle way more than I do and just looking for some tips.

Quoting happinessforyou:

Why did you decide to buy a house in a location that gave you such a long commute? If you get paid a lot with this job, hire some of the work at home to be done for you.

Shop and cook on weekends for the week? Make a chart of daily tasks and get everyone in the house to commit to doing something on the list....

Move closer to your job.............

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Oct. 27, 2017 at 10:40 PM

Why isn't your mom more of a help around the house?

jad1027
by New Member on Nov. 27, 2017 at 8:06 PM

My does help, but she just turned 70 and I want her slowing down, not taking on more.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Why isn't your mom more of a help around the house?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 28, 2017 at 3:21 PM
I would recommend to move closer to Work or find a job closer.. why would you waste so much time commuting? Did you guys think that through?

Is your mom not capable of helping with house work.. like cooking cleaning and similar?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2017 at 7:54 PM

Why are you cooking for your mom can't she cook and clean? 

How old is she?

vicki990305
by on Dec. 1, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Find a job closer to home. Even a pay cut would be better than a hour commute. Factoring in your time, gas, wear and tear on your vehicles, time spent with your mom/hubs/kids.
diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2017 at 12:52 AM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

How old is she?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Just because she is that age doesn't mean she can't contribute to the household in some way.  Unless she's got some sort dementia going on and can't remember how to do those things. 

Quoting diaperstodating: 70
Quoting Anonymous 2:

How old is she?

diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2017 at 9:30 AM
How old are your kids?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)