Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom's who have moved to a different state!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
We're finally starting to get stuff in place for our move from MN to CO!! πŸ˜„

How much money did you guys save before you moved? Any tips to make the move easier?!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 2, 2017 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Member on Nov. 2, 2017 at 6:39 PM
We moved from IN to WI and then 5 yrs later, we moved from WI to AZ. Honestly, we were pretty bare bones when it came to money. (Kinda last minute thing for jobs.) We looked up how much average rentals were, and saved first/last months rent and deposit, plus a but more for other deposits and things. The best advice we were got, so we pass it along, is to contact the local Chamber of Commerce, either by phone or in person. Websites are fine but talking to someone is better. Explain that you're moving, and ask for them to send info about utilities, schools, local businesses, and anything else they think someone would want to have. Ask for where to look up areas to determine if there are "good or bad" areas. The CofC usually won't tell you that (for legal reasons) but can often point you in the direction of places with others' opinion. Sometimes they'll even send you goodies! When we moved to Phoenix, we realized quickly that there were MANY cities within a 50 mile radius where people live, work, and play. We requested info from ALL those. When we moved to Chippewa Falls, it was a small community so we only needed to contact them.

Hope that helps! Have fun on your adventure!
Mizuagi
by New Member on Nov. 2, 2017 at 7:34 PM

Where in CO are you moving to? 

When we moved from AZ to CO, (12-13 hr drive), 4 years ago, we didn't have much in savings. DH is military, so they packed up our stuff and moved it, but we still had our car full of stuff we didn't want them to take with them. With gas, food and we stayed in a hotel a couple nights when we got there, I believe we spent about $500. 

I moved back to AZ in February- we just got in the habbit of stopping every 2 hours for at least 20 minutes and that actually helped make the trip less tiring. We're moving to Texas in April (15-16 hr drive), and since it's a route we don't know, I map it like crazy and try finding good spots where we can stop every 2-2.5 hours. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2017 at 9:56 PM
Thank you so much!! I wouldn't have thought to contact them that's a great idea!

Quoting anotherandree: We moved from IN to WI and then 5 yrs later, we moved from WI to AZ. Honestly, we were pretty bare bones when it came to money. (Kinda last minute thing for jobs.) We looked up how much average rentals were, and saved first/last months rent and deposit, plus a but more for other deposits and things. The best advice we were got, so we pass it along, is to contact the local Chamber of Commerce, either by phone or in person. Websites are fine but talking to someone is better. Explain that you're moving, and ask for them to send info about utilities, schools, local businesses, and anything else they think someone would want to have. Ask for where to look up areas to determine if there are "good or bad" areas. The CofC usually won't tell you that (for legal reasons) but can often point you in the direction of places with others' opinion. Sometimes they'll even send you goodies! When we moved to Phoenix, we realized quickly that there were MANY cities within a 50 mile radius where people live, work, and play. We requested info from ALL those. When we moved to Chippewa Falls, it was a small community so we only needed to contact them.

Hope that helps! Have fun on your adventure!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 2, 2017 at 10:03 PM
We want to be around Colorado Springs :)

That's a good idea- mapping out places to stop! We have a 3 and 1yo and it takes about 18 hours to drive there so they're going to need to get out and stretch often.

Quoting Mizuagi:

When we moved from AZ to CO, (12-13 hr drive), 4 years ago, we didn't have much in savings. DH is military, so they packed up our stuff and moved it, but we still had our car full of stuff we didn't want them to take with them. With gas, food and we stayed in a hotel a couple nights when we got there, I believe we spent about $500. 

I moved back to AZ in February- we just got in the habbit of stopping every 2 hours for at least 20 minutes and that actually helped make the trip less tiring. We're moving to Texas in April (15-16 hr drive), and since it's a route we don't know, I map it like crazy and try finding good spots where we can stop every 2-2.5 hours. 

Mizuagi
by New Member on Nov. 3, 2017 at 12:47 AM

Aww, that's where we were! We miss it so much! Beautiful city with so many outdoor things to do. We're hoping to move back there again at some point. Yeah all the stops make it better.. and maybe packing a little cooler with lots of snacks and having a tablet of some sort with tons of movies. :) 

Quoting Anonymous 1: We want to be around Colorado Springs :) That's a good idea- mapping out places to stop! We have a 3 and 1yo and it takes about 18 hours to drive there so they're going to need to get out and stretch often.
Quoting Mizuagi:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Soo beautiful! We went there last April for vacation and I didn't want to come back πŸ˜‚
Oh yes snacks are a must. Can't go on a road trip without snacks! πŸ˜‚
Hopefully it works out for you! ❀

Quoting Mizuagi:

Aww, that's where we were! We miss it so much! Beautiful city with so many outdoor things to do. We're hoping to move back there again at some point. Yeah all the stops make it better.. and maybe packing a little cooler with lots of snacks and having a tablet of some sort with tons of movies. :) 

Quoting Anonymous 1: We want to be around Colorado Springs :)

That's a good idea- mapping out places to stop! We have a 3 and 1yo and it takes about 18 hours to drive there so they're going to need to get out and stretch often.

Quoting Mizuagi:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 3, 2017 at 8:24 PM
The move itself cost us around $4k (1000 miles, 3br house and my husbands 1 be apartment. They did a lot of the packing, too). Then we had some lapse before paychecks, we sold a house at a bit of a loss, and had to pay a security deposit on the house we rented. All told, somewhere in the range of $15- $20k.

I was REALLY glad we rented because we didn’t know the town we moved to. It was definitely worth the money for us to use movers, too (buy use a well known name for a moving company!!). We also did Angie’s List for a couple of years until we had all of our resources figured out (dentist, doctor, mechanic, plumber, etc).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 4, 2017 at 9:06 AM
Money wasn't an issue. We moved 10 times with dh's promotions at work.

AMA
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM

We live in Colorado Springs back in 1988 NE Briargate area.  It was a wonderful community with new schools at the time.  See this home https://www.trulia.com/property/3054715309-4050-Zurich-Dr-Colorado-Springs-CO-80920  I lived close to there within walking distance to the elementary school.  The middle school cand high school are also within walking distance.  We really loved living in the Springs area even with all it's snow storms and 3 snow shovels.  ;-)

As to how much we saving now I can't remember for the life of me it's been almost 30 years ago. 

As to information perhaps this can help you.  Colorado Springs Relocation Services http://www.homesofcoloradosprings.com/relocation/ and https://www.go-colorado.com/Colorado-Springs/#   Looks at the street Cams http://springscam.markwoodman.com/ so you can get an idea on the weather condtion with winter coming up. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: We want to be around Colorado Springs :) That's a good idea- mapping out places to stop! We have a 3 and 1yo and it takes about 18 hours to drive there so they're going to need to get out and stretch often.
Quoting Mizuagi:

Element5
by Member on Nov. 6, 2017 at 1:54 PM
We moved from nj to fl about 1 1/2 years a go.. rented a place without looking but knew schools in the area are top rated and that rent place was close to hubbys wok.

We had to save a lot since rent was $2800( so 1st, last deposit) plus i stayed with the 3 kids while hubby flew back to nj. But that was saved for rent only.. our move and relocation bonus was paid by hubbys Work. We had a good amount saved because we wanted to purchase a house in the area after living in the new state.

We drove 2 cars down packed to the T with 3 kids, 2 cats and 3 dogs. After 8 hours stopped in a hotel to sleep. And obviously bathroom/food and doggy breaks. Our stuff came later about 2 weeks, so kids and we slept on a mattress we purchased in Costco ( blow up), oh and we had to purchase the washer and dryer.. rental did not come with its own. We have them now at our home.

Our move was about $6,000 ( plus motorcycle hubby moved via bike moving company)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)