Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I or shouldnt I move

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

A little history about me I'm a single mom of course one income i say that to say my rent is getting extremely high . Within the last two years it has increased by over 300 dollars and is due to be increased for the new year. I live in the part of the of the state that i know myself and my son is safe for the most part, he can play outside without me worrying about him. The school system is great; however the rent and car note and everyday living is getting too much to maintain. so here is where i would like some advice because i am so confused as to what to do. I found a couple of great apartments for much less than what i am paying now by at least 2 hundred dollars i would get more space, more amenities than i am currently getting;however they are both an hour away from my job and my sons school. Being that i can a single mom i have reservations of being one hr away from my son , unless i keep in his current school and leave out early each morning to get him to school on time.

I would like opionions from you guys on should I move or Shouldnt I move?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
young_lv_mom
by Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:57 PM
I say before you do move hang out where you are looking to move to at night time. Find out how the area is when they feel people are home in bed. But I also would not have my kid going to school an hour away Incase my car broke down or something else happened.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2017 at 2:35 PM

Thank you  folr your responsse, all of your points  are what have me so stuck in making a decision. I go back and forth with it, my current apartment is packed because i know i cannot afford to live there any longer but to make the decison is so very hard. again thank you i appreciate it.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 3:06 PM
In my opinion an hour is too far away. You don't have a spouse to pick up the slack. Can you find anything maybe 20 minutes away for less than you are paying ? Maybe a different direction ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2017 at 4:29 PM

Thank You , I will start looking thats a great idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 4:58 PM

Just my personal opinion - I don't think its a good idea. It sounds like you are semi attracted to it, not becaue it's good, but because you are desperate. I would wait it out and pray another opportunity comes along.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Thank You for youe opionion it is valued, and you are correct i am in a desperate place to make my income work for me.

zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2017 at 7:00 AM

You need to figure out how much gas or transportation is going to cost you. Is it worth it? If I made a move like that, I'd keep him in school closer to me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 8, 2017 at 7:50 AM

Thank You, I plan on making   trail runs this weekend just to see as the other person said the neighborhood at night and to monitor the gas cost.. so hopefully with every ones opinion i Will be able to make a decision not only to save money but also a wise decision before the year ends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 8, 2017 at 11:05 AM
I would not move from a safe area and the closeness to your child. And if it has good schools... absolutley not! Also commute to work if it’s far is not worth it. It’s time you could be spendingvwith your child.

As for a raise or pick up 1/2 extra a week or something you can pull off but to move .. I would not.
Muffet60
by on Dec. 8, 2017 at 10:19 PM

Not sure if you live in an area with winters, but if so, that's always a gamble. I live 45 minutes from my job and during an ice storm earlier this year, it took me 10 hours to get home due to accidents and stuck cars! If you don't have family or trusted support to pick up your son if you should get delayed, it would be risky. 

Have you considered a small part-time job to supplement your income so that you can stay where you are? There are a lot of work-from-home jobs available. By the way, I applaud your putting your son first above all else. You sound like an awesome mom and I've no doubt you'll make the right decision. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)