Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Annoying mother-in-law

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
Alright. So we're currently transitioning into a new apt and while in the midst of this we're staying in my mother-in-laws RV/camper in her backyard (with no running water).

Sooo... she has 2 (ugly) dogs. I like dogs, but can't stand the fur everywhere and this lady babies her dogs like I've never seen! She'll tell them to 'get down' or 'get off the couch' or 'go lay down' or 'go away' or 'no licking and then 5 seconds later she's letting them do what she asked them not to do! She 'doesn't like' them getting under her office desk and whining because they want her to pet them, yet she musters up the strength to pet, snuggle, and pull them up on the office chair with her! These dogs are so spoiled its disgusting.

ANYWAYS, when we're in the house I'm always telling these dogs THE SAME SH*T she says, but she always makes comments to the dogs after I say that stuff like 'I'm sorry babies' or 'Yeah I know, she's not a dog person'.

So today, I had just finished giving my son a bath in her house (remember, no water in the camper) and I was trying to get him dressed when one of the nosey dogs comes over, starts sniffing with his nasty wet nose and tries to lick me/my son and I simply said 'go away'. In the background I hear "come here Morgan (<---- dogs name), come on baby" and then "You know he just wants some lovin' Ashley (me)--- they're just not used to y'all being here yet". OH. MY. JESUS. Get a grip lady! Put the damn dogs in their room and quit babying them!

After that we retreated to the camper for the rest of the day and I haven't spoken to her. Am I wrong here??? Isn't this a little much?? And to make a nasty little side comment like she did is what really pisses me off--especially when she says the same exact stuff!! I know she'll probably ask if something is bothering me tomorrow, but should I tell her it's this dog nonsense or just leave it alone??!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 15, 2017 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Her dog her house her rules...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I’m always a little shocked by people who live with someone else and then get mad about what those people do in their own home. Personally I know my sister has crazy heathen beasts of dogs. I know when I stay with her they’re gonna jump on me bark at me and fur will fly. I make the choice to stay with her when I’m down that way. If I didn’t want to deal with it, I’d have found a different place to stay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:11 AM
I think you are being over sensitive. Sounds like it’s time for you to leave.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM
I get its her house, but I'm not being mean to the dogs. I say the same things to them she does. I mean, ya don't want a dog to jump up on you or lick you, ya gotta say something! Is that not acceptable?? I shouldn't have to let her dogs act like that with us just because 'it's her house'...

Quoting Anonymous 2: Her dog her house her rules...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Over sensitive? I don't want the dogs jumping on me/licking me/ sitting by me... how is that over sensitive?

Well, unfortunately we can't leave yet because the apt won't be ready until Jan 6.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I think you are being over sensitive. Sounds like it’s time for you to leave.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:34 AM
Yeah, i mean its her house so she can be as annoying with her dogs as she wants. I don't have to like it though.

However, her snotty little comments to the dogs all the time like "oh I'm sorry babies she doesn't like dogs" are out of line and just plain rude and unnecessary.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I�m always a little shocked by people who live with someone else and then get mad about what those people do in their own home. Personally I know my sister has crazy heathen beasts of dogs. I know when I stay with her they�re gonna jump on me bark at me and fur will fly. I make the choice to stay with her when I�m down that way. If I didn�t want to deal with it, I�d have found a different place to stay.
young_lv_mom
by Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 9:44 AM
They are her dogs. I have a dog and I have to bit my tongue when out of town family visits and then give him a command. He is not there fucking dog he is mine. They want him to do or stop doing something tell me and I will fix it. It could be like that with her. But just because she says the same things to the dogs does not give you the right to as well. They are not your dogs. Have you tried talking to her? Or do you o oh bitch behind her back about it? It also seems like she has no kids living at home and is single so her dogs are in a way her world, you don’t have to like it but if you are living with her because you need the help then you need to deal with it and understand she is her own person that can do what she wants no matter who approves.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Go stay in a hotel or shut up.

CStarz
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Her house, her dogs, her rules. You knew she was like this with the dogs before you went to stay in the camper. Let her deal with her dogs and figure out a way to avoid contact when possible.

It is a temporary situation, be grateful you have a caring MIL who has a place for you while you are essentially homeless. A dog licking you or your child is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 15, 2017 at 5:52 PM

dear mama...yes, I agree that it is unpleasant. I guess you are just frustrated by the situation where you are stucked at your MIL's backyard camper while your own home is not ready. I suspect if your living condition is better, you won't be as short-tempered or impatient towards your MIL's dogs. During the day, do you have other places to 'hide'? your family's houses? your friend's place? local YWCA, libraries, parks....I guess you just need a break from being bothered by her dogs & your MIL's comments. Hang tight mama, 3 more weeks will go by very quickly....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)