Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Surgical Menopause - I'm scared!

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
I will be 33 yo on Monday. When I was 26, I had a hysterectomy, and both ovaries were left in. 9 months after that, I had one ovary removed emergently because of a severe torsion. Since then, I've had nothing but problems with the other ovary, including another emergent surgery from another torsion (they restored blood flow, so the ovary was left in), and last year was hospitalized for 4 days because of Meig's Syndrome (including bilateral pleural effusions). The time has come to get my remaining ovary removed...in one week. Happy birthday to me. Yay menopause *eye roll*.
Has anyone else gone through surgical menopause? What kinds of symptoms did you have and how bad were they? I plan to take hormone therapy to decrease severity of symptoms, but I'm still afraid of how this may affect my relationship, as I recently got engaged. I joke with him that between possible mood swings and sexual side effects, he may change his mind...but in reality, it's a concern! Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly looking forward to not having so much pain, but being instantly thrown into menopause at 33 is scary!
by on Dec. 27, 2017 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ubserbebe
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 6:19 PM
Cross posting...
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 6:39 PM

I would suggest bio-identical hormones. Don't just automatically go on any of them. Have all hormones tested, and have a compounding pharmacy make what YOUR body needs. Have your hormones tested periodically (every 6 months?) and change the hormones accordingly. 

If you and he stay educated and aware of all the symptoms, it's alot easier to live through, for both of you. Everything is temporary.

Ubserbebe
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 6:43 PM
I've heard most insurances don't cover that. Do you know if that's true?

Quoting EireLass:

I would suggest bio-identical hormones. Don't just automatically go on any of them. Have all hormones tested, and have a compounding pharmacy make what YOUR body needs. Have your hormones tested periodically (every 6 months?) and change the hormones accordingly. 

If you and he stay educated and aware of all the symptoms, it's alot easier to live through, for both of you. Everything is temporary.

Ubserbebe
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2017 at 7:10 PM
Bump :(
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 8:06 AM

My insurance did not. But there was a way that I got it for free. At my doctors office, there were all these pamphlets/cards for free and reduced prescriptions. I didn't have to 'sign up' or pay to join. When I gave the info to the pharmacist, they just used that. 

Quoting Ubserbebe: I've heard most insurances don't cover that. Do you know if that's true?
Quoting EireLass:

karene999
by Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I had everything removed at one time due to a variety of problems (my body is an overachiever..LOL) when I was 35.

I do not take any hormones, and other than hot flashes I have been fine.

Considering the pain I was in before surgery, this is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Ubserbebe
by New Member on Dec. 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM
Thank you ladies!!!!
goatmom4
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 12:12 PM
Vitamin b and Rosehips come in a vitamin they aid the transition to no estrogen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)