Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son can't stay well...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:15 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm new here and saw the CafeMom ad on myspace, so I thought I would join!  I'm a single mom and my 5yo son just can't stay well.  He has been very healthy the last 2 years since being diagnosed with asthma and getting on Singulair. 

However, this year has been sooo bad for him.  It started the week after Thanksgiving when he got a sinus infection which turned into an ear infection.  Less than a week after getting this, he then caught a bad stomach virus which required a Phenargen shot to stop the vomiting. 

It has only been 6 weeks since the stomach virus, and this past Friday he woke up vomiting again during the night.  He now has yet another respiratory illness and I'm at my wits end!!! 

I have tried everything I know to do.  Of course, I don't give him cold medicines.  But, I have deep-cleaned my house, washed everything in hot water, etc.  I make sure he washes his hands regularly and we use hand sanitizer all the time. 

Is it just really bad this year with sickness, or should I contact the pediatrician to see if there is a bigger problem?  Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I'm not used to him being sick this often. 

Any advice & input would be much appreciated!  Thanks :)
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Have him sleep with a vaporizer on at night. I do think there is a lot going around this winter because of it being so mild. Is he on vitamins? Ask the doctor about vitamins, it may help. Also, if he hasn't got one yet, a flu shot may help. Both my son and I got one and we haven't been sick all winter (we both have asthma). Talk to the pedicatrcian if you are concerned, that is what they are here for.
MichelleK41
by Member on Jan. 21, 2008 at 8:34 PM
One thing a lot of people don't realize is your toothbrushes will harbor all those viral germs. If you get sick, once your better, get a new toothbrush or sanitize the one you have by soaking in peroxide. We are on a second round of crud here and a friend here on CM reminded me I had forgot about the toothbrushes and another friend told me get those soaking in peroxide. If you have any asthma questions you are welcome to message me. I have a child with asthma as well and know a great deal about it. :)
morningdove831
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 9:09 PM
I never thought about the toothbrushes!  They're all getting thrown out and replaced. 
I appreciate your advice and will let you know how he's doing  :)
2blueeyegrls
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 9:10 PM
That is very true about the toothbrushes. We soak ours in hydrogen peroxide. Not harmful if in your mouth, even mix it with water and gargle, helps to kill germs as well.  Off topic, sorry.

My 4 year old is ALWAYS sick. She has terrible asthma caused by severe acid reflux that as a baby went into her lungs and scared them b/c her pediatrician at the time WOULD NOT diagnos her with acid refulx.  So she has been on singulair and xoponex/pulmocort w/ a nebulizer since around 2 years of age. However she is NEVER well. Catches everything. I expressed my concerns to the doctors and the drew blood to make sure all her counts were well. And they were. You may want to suggest that. I am sure they are well. Kids just catch viruses. My two girls are alway sick b/c they give it back and forth and then she is in school, etc.  MY pediatrican said that even though it SEEMS like they have one cold, flu, sinus infection for a long time, it could be a series of infections or viruses b/c they are just bombarded all the time in school with germs.  And my pediatrician said that by the time they would be in 2nd or 3rd grade that they should be better off from being exposed to a lot of germs this early on - LETS HOPE SO, right???

Good luck. But I would express your concerns to his doctors and take it from there. I am sure it is just kids being kids and passing things around! No matter how much you clean, they always have something!
Quoting MichelleK41:

One thing a lot of people don't realize is your toothbrushes will harbor all those viral germs. If you get sick, once your better, get a new toothbrush or sanitize the one you have by soaking in peroxide. We are on a second round of crud here and a friend here on CM reminded me I had forgot about the toothbrushes and another friend told me get those soaking in peroxide. If you have any asthma questions you are welcome to message me. I have a child with asthma as well and know a great deal about it. :)
sacdp29
by on Jan. 21, 2008 at 11:08 PM

My son was very sickly when he was younger, he got so bad that we ended up getting him allergy testing done.  Found out he was allergic to alot of things: mold, different foods, many things
You may even try that  or talk to the doctor about it.  
My son is 24 years old now and he has basically grown out of his allergies.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)