Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I quit college?

Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I am currently in school to be a veterinary assistant and I am a few months away from graduating. The only issue is, is I don't have any experience working in a veterinary clinic and I am worried that after I graduate no one will hire me and then I would have just worked hard to graduate in a dream career all for nothing. I have called around at every vet clinic and vet hospital in my area and not one takes interns or volunteers. I have also tried at my local animal shelters and they don't allow volunteers either because of legal issues. My question is, should I stop going to school and not graduate since I can't get the experience I need, or will veterinary clinics hire me without clinic experience even though I graduated college to be a vet assistant?
I have worked so hard in my classes and I have made all A's and I just don't want my hard work to go to waste.
Can any moms that's in the veterinary field give me advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2018 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jan. 23, 2018 at 12:52 AM
I have no idea what the job market is like, but it seems extremely stupid to have wasted all of that time and effort to quit a few months out because you are unsure.

It’s a 100% guarantee you won’t get a job if you quit.
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:48 PM
Keep going.
by Member on Jan. 24, 2018 at 8:55 PM
But once you graduate, you won't be an intern or volunteer. You'll be qualified with no experience. Getting experience is difficult but not impossible. However, quitting now will make it impossible. And you'll have soent money for nothing. Keep going!!
by BL on Jan. 25, 2018 at 10:20 AM

No, do not quit especially if you are so close! Nothing is guaranteed. Just keep looking and applying.

by New Member on Jan. 25, 2018 at 7:55 PM
Finish school.
by Member on Jan. 28, 2018 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Finish the degree.  Then look   for  a clinic   where  maybe you   can at least   work the front desk.  Make sure to let hem   know   you   do have a degree.  Then once you are hired  you can see if   you   can be allowed   to sit   in   on   some procedures.   The same  thing   if  you   go work at an animal shelter.  They   have vets   there and you   can   ask them   the same thing.   But  don't   waste  the time and money by quitting.   The more   you have on a resume   the better it will look for you.

by Member on Feb. 7, 2018 at 9:10 PM

Don't quit!!!

by Member on Feb. 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM

Don't quit.

Having said that-I know it's different everywhere-but I have fostered dogs with no formal training. My shelter here does have a full on volunteer program. I'm surprised you don't. I even worked for a vet for a year as a receptionist-no formal training. I don't understand why there is NO avenue for you? Weird.

by Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 8:50 AM

I'm mot in the vet field, but I would keep going. You've made it this far. Then apply, apply, apply. Even if it's a tepm job at a pet store, It's better than nothing i suppose. 

by on Feb. 21, 2018 at 1:41 PM

Please finish your schooling!  Training is the first part of any job that you will be hired for.  GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)