Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The first hair cut

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Hey everyone, so my daughter is 6 and she has never had her hair cut, her hair is to her butt. Today after school she said she wanted her hair cut to her shoulders because the other girls in her class have hair to their shoulders. But, I love her hair and don't know how I feel about cutting it. I know for a fact that I'll get very emotional. Even though I feel like it's her choice just like it was when she got her ears
pierced. I'm torn on if I should cut it or not.
The picture posted is from year ago and her hair is a lot longer now.
by on Apr. 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
stuswf
by Member on Apr. 5, 2018 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I’d say maybe go to the library & check out stories about hair. ‘Hairs/pelitos ‘ by Susan Cisneros, Melissa Parkington's ‘Beautiful, Beautiful Hair‘, I think she is feeling out of place & just wants to be accepted. There is a cute book called ‘the clumsy crab’ by Ruth Galloway that deals with someone who feels out of place & finds his niche. Another great book is ‘Donkey Donkey’ by Roger Duvision. This is one of my most favorite books! It’s about a lady with long hair & how people misunderstand her & in the end they all love her! The woman who outshone the sun: The legend of Lucia Zenteno / from a poem. I hope this helps.
BL2010
by BL on Apr. 5, 2018 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

How adorable. But, if she wants to cut her hair I say let her. It will grow back. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2018 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. My oldest dd has her first haircut at 9 months old. Youngest dd was 12 months.

Its not healthy for hair not to cut it at least a couole times a year.

Hair is hair. Cut it if she wants it cut. It will grow better actually.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2018 at 2:24 PM

ohh i do feel for you i do.  i cried when my son was in jeans for the first time as a preschooler he just looked soo grown up i wasn't ready for that. Jeans meant her was a teen in my brain then i guess.  But i cried and got over it fast. Apologies if this comes across nasty its just a question as a young child running in and out of the school bathroom through the day maybe her below bottom hair be getting dunked maybe and she's too embarrassed to say it. How bout a couple times a week putting it in a high ponytail or high pig tails for different looks. Maybe braid it overnight after a wash to give waves or curls to her hair for a different look.  Maybe your dd's tired of how her long hair is styled not necessarily how long it is. Whatever happens with her hair you're so good for really thinking about things. I know you'd hate to cut it and then have dd be upset over that!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)