Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Need your Advice

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM
  • 3 Replies
I am so frustrated right now, my son brough home his report card yesterday and on some of his area his grades went down.  He has a book list to keep track of the books he has read for each term well I am so upset with his teacher right now there was no note or any kinda communication telling us that they were do in by who know when so he got a N on it for his report card keep in mind he is in second grade i am going talk to his teacher today about it.  plus they are saying on his comments that in math his work needs to be checked i am not sure if they are saying brett should check his work or us if it is us we check his work every night after he does it.  I just am so disappointed last semester he only had two B's and one N This one he has 4 B's and 3 N's.  I tried talking to him last night to find out what is going on and he says nothing.  I can't believe that his teachers did not let me know that his grades were slipping am I wrong to feel this way?  I am not sure how to handle this, he already comes home and does his homework and reads a book, what more can i do?  Help,  Jen
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kimmhug
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Jen,
I think talking to his teacher is the first step.  Also I have found that keeping things in perspective really helps.  He isn't flunking out, he is reading, he is doing homework, those are all great things that a lot of kids struggle with!!  I would try and set up some ongoing communication with the teacher in the form of notes or email so you can better track his progress.  I had a similar situation happen when my daughter was in 1st grade, she got a c in reading with no warning.  I talked to the teacher and tried to follow through.  Now she is in 3rd grade and getting all A's and one B both grading periods so far!!   Good luck,
Kim
liz333
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 5:42 PM
Hello First of all I am new to this site. So hello to everyone in this site. In regards to your post Jen. I agree very much with the other post that an on going communication needs to be established with his teacher. Teachers do have many kids and although it is not an excuse they miss on informing parents when their child is not passing. Making a list of questions to ask the teacher would be helpful. I also recommend asking the teacher to show you his grades in class assignment and test. This way you can get a better understanding if he was learning the material or not. I think it is important to ask the teacher that what she reccomends in order to help my child at home. I also think that asking the teacher of what she has done to improve his grades with out offending her. Ask if they provide tutoring after or before school. I think it is important to help your child now and not wait until he is either going to fail the grade level. Helping him now is the best thing. Many children can improve thier grades the following 6wks or next year. Yet but the majority who struggle at a young age and do not recieve help will not progress through the years and will struggle. Have to go now but wish you luck. Love Liz
charlie06
by on Jan. 22, 2008 at 5:46 PM
She should have contacted you and talk to you about it. My son is in 6th grade and they have requested that I have a parent teacher conf. which I had planned on already. So I emailed the teacher and she said there were some issues that they would like to discuss at parent-teacher conf. Why am I just hearing about this now? If there are problems I want them taken care of NOW not three months down the road at the scheduled appts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)