Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Teeth ... bottle rot .... or acid reflux ....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 11:24 AM
  • 0 Replies

My 6 yr old had all his teeth capped by the time he was 2 1/2 years old ... why you may ask .. well they were rotting out of his head ... and well everyone told me it was because he sucked a bottle while he was in bed at night ... and well this isnt always true ... there are many many reasons it can happen . Medicines cause a lot of tooth decay ... and well heres a big surprise .... ACID REFLUX .... can cause tooth rot ... wow .. who would have thought that acid coming back up in your mouth could weaken your tooth enamel to the point where it started rotting .. well i didnt but i found out this year that my son at age 6 has had SEVERE ACID REFLUX (SILENT REFLUX) and well hes had it for quite some time .. the only reason i found out was due to the birth of my now 8 month old ds ..... but never the less .. my 6 yr old has had a p.h. probe done and it showed he was refluxing 90 % of the time .. even if he just drank water ... but now back to the teeth ... his adult teeth started coming in this year .. and would you believe he doenst suck a bottle and they were starting to rot out also , and no amount of brushing helped  ... here is a snip from a reflux page ... and well shoot just google acid reflux and tooth decay and see how many links you find ....

The younger your child, the harder it may be to recognize the signs of acid reflux. Here are five common signs that can be an indication of acid reflux:

1. Dental Enamel Loss

When reflux reaches the mouth it can eat away at a child's dental enamel and predispose him or her to tooth decay. If you suspect reflux in your child, ask your dentist to look for signs of reflux damage in the teeth. In addition to treatment of the reflux by your pediatrician, your dentist may be able to offer a protective sealant.

2. Picky Eating

All toddlers and preschoolers are picky eaters, right? Well children with GERD have a higher incidence of feeding refusal according to a recent study that looked at the presenting symptoms of reflux in toddlers and preschoolers. According to this study about 25 percent of normal children exhibited some type of feeding refusal compared to nearly 60 percent of kids with reflux disease.

So how do you tell normal picky eating from ‘extreme' picky eating? Unfortunately, you can't -- look for other symptoms of reflux that support a diagnosis and be very suspicious if they won't eat.

3. Stomach pain

While I have a hard enough time convincing parents and even pediatricians that children actually get reflux, it's even trickier convincing them that tummy aches can be the only sign of its presence.

So how does acid way up in the esophagus create a tummy ache? It all has to do with kids and their ability (or inability) to localize pain. Before age 10 or so children lack the capacity to accurately localize and characterize their pain. So many children with pain due to reflux will point to their belly buttons when they hurt.

During their school-aged years kids more reliably develop the capacity to describe abstract things about themselves like where they hurt and what it feels like.

4. Cough

Cough is a natural mechanism for protecting the lungs and airway from unintended foreign stuff like stomach contents. In children with no other good explanation for their symptom, cough may be the only sign of reflux in a child. Look for cough that occurs at night when asleep. Other common causes of cough: upper respiratory infection, pneumonia and asthma.

5. Throat Clearing

If cough is a rousing bellow to blow stuff from the entry of the lungs, throat clearing is something of a nudge for stuff that's getting close. Chronic throat clearing in the absence of other problems like post-nasal drip is a glaring reflux sign. This symptom of reflux is perhaps the most overlooked and one of the least likely to be considered significant by moms and dads.

So keep your eyes, ears and minds open to the possibility of reflux in your child.

Loving Blended Families - for families with stepchildren , biological moms and stepmoms come check us out ...

Formula Feeding Moms (who couldn't breastfeed)

colic and acid reflux in babies

Mothers who use CIO

www.cafemom.com/group/cutestbabyever

Spencer ---- 5-15-2007    Warren ---- 5-19-2003    Blake ---- 3-21-2001

by on Jan. 27, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)