Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My son is sick AGAIN!

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2008 at 11:25 AM
  • 9 Replies
I'm getting sooo frustrated!  My 5-year-old son is sick AGAIN.  This time with upper respiratory issues.  He has been sick constantly since Thanksgiving and he can't stay well for more than a week or so.  He has asthma but it has been well controlled with Singulair for the last 2 years.  I'm at my wits end. 

We're going to the dr for a checkup this Wednesday.  I'm going to check into allergy testing, etc.  I'm very concerned about him.  Any suggestions as to other things I can ask the dr. about when we go? 
by on Feb. 2, 2008 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jenjen81605
by on Feb. 2, 2008 at 11:42 AM
ask the dr to check his blood iron. I get sick a lot, too... but it's because I'm anemic. If he sleeps A LOT, like, if he seems to be tiard almost all the time- he might be anemic. It's low blood iron- it's worth atleast looking at.

Whatever it is, good luck. :D
mommygirls2
by on Feb. 2, 2008 at 7:23 PM
Does he have a breathing machine for his asthma?  my daughter has asthma and they tried singular for a while but when she was sick it didn't help.  Now she has a breathing machine so when she is sick we use it.  It has made all the diffenence in the world.  Good Luck
Sadie85
by on Feb. 2, 2008 at 7:53 PM
This might sound cooky, but take him to the chiropractor. A good one will explain why he keeps getting sick, and will help you prevent sicknesses in the future. My girls hardly EVER get sick and it's because they get aligned regularly. Actually this past 6 months I haven't been able to afford it and my little one got a cold for the first time! :( Good luck, momma!
P0ET1CMAM1
by on Feb. 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM
If there have been any leaks in the home... basement, roof, drains, or from another apartment, they may be mold or some type of fungus triggering these respiratory problems.  Some people have no reaction to it, while others get extremely sick.  I lived in an apartment that had mold above the drop ceiling, and me and my daughter always got sick.  My husband was fine though... and he's the one with the asthma (go figure).  We moved and rarely get sick anymore.  It could even be in the walls, or ceilings.  Best bet would be to stay somewhere else for a week or two, and see if he gets better... if he does than it's something in the home.  Also, insect caucasus and droppings as well as rodent droppings can cause respiratory problems.  (such as drain flies, roaches, bed bugs, etc).  Good Luck, hope he gets better.
Dawnstar0001
by on Feb. 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM
Allergies can be a big problem.  My daughter could not  handle any strong cleaning supplies.  I had to open doors and windows to clean the home as she would cry with Clorox or any strong chemical.

I would suggest buying an air purifier.  Check out Ecoquest on the internet.  They make a product that kills mold, staph, cold germs, etc as soon as it hits the air. 

Also, you might check out Melaleuca for cleaning supplies that are from natural herbs and do not aggravate the respiratory system. 

Also, try ordering peppermint plants from Johnny's Seeds and growing them in the home.  Peppermint releases wonderful respiratory soothing fragrances as you walk around your home and you should see a big difference in anyone with respiratory problems.  You can order from Johnny's Seeds online.

If you need more help, contact me at hdcwolfanbe@yahoo.com.  I am an herbalist and a firm believer in making the home pleasant with plants.  They renew your air, purifying it na;turally.
wholisticRPhmom
by on Feb. 4, 2008 at 11:10 AM
You know--I am a pharmacist and I get these sorts of questions all of the time.  I have gotten into the prevention and wellness side of health because of not wanting to keep adding drug after drug to stay healthy!  I agree with looking into a good chiropractor.  I've known it to help an amazing range of health issues.  I also recommend Juice Plus to everyone--which is 15-23 vine-ripened, pesticide/heribcide preservative-free fruits and vegetables in easy to take capsules, chewables and gummies!  It is a genius product and has real science and independent primary research behind it so that as a pharmacist I can recommend it to people with confidence.  It has done wonders for my family's overall health and for others that I recommend it to.  I have several people with asthma issues that showed definite improvements in asthma along with overall benefits to the body.  By getting this variety of quality fruit and veggie nutrition the research shows that it improves the immune system, supports cardiovascular health,decreases DNA damage and free radicals, etc.  I love the fact it improves your overall health instead of paying for an expensive prescription that only benefits one aspect of your health.  You can only get this through distributors which I am now because I recommend it so much.  You can visit my website and read the research abstracts and other info at www C2UrHealth com and click on the portion talking about fruits and veggies to get to my Juice Plus page.  It is not expensive which is so great!  An adult can sponsor a child ages 6-15 so the child gets free chewables.  It is a great company...  let me know if you'd like more info.  --wholisticRPhmom
morningdove831
by on Feb. 4, 2008 at 1:51 PM
Thanks to all of you for your advice!  I am definitely a believer in holistic medicine.  The Native Americans had it right, that's for sure. 

Cindy - I will definitely be ordering some of your products because Connor does NOT eat enough veggies.  He loves fruit - he eats blueberries, apples, grapes, bananas ... but not one single veggie passes his lips.  He hates them. 

We can't have live plants in the house because of mold allergies ... I have them severely.  If I spend the night at my grandparents' house, I'm at the dr. the next week with a sinus infection from the mold reaction.  It's terrible. 

Our apartment is very new (3 years old) and I doubt there is any mold, but I might check that out just in case.  Also, I think I will take the advice to invest in an air purifier. 

Thanks again!! 
Nicole496
by on Feb. 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM
My son has been sick for 2 months with ear infections.  One right after the other.  i finly got him into the ent toget looked at. 
I do know how it feels when you have a kid that is always sick .  I feel if it isnt the one it is the other.
lovemyboys220
by on Feb. 6, 2008 at 1:22 AM
hey is this your sons first year at school? I watched children out of my home and my son got sick constantly.(during the winter months) At 9 months old they diagnosed him with asthma he does albuterol treatments when he gets sick(they do wonders) It is so scary when you hear your child wheezing.  He is on a controller medicine designed for children called pulmicort (that we use only during winter months) that helps also.  now 3 years later he gets sick a lot less.  I think being around kids help build his immune system. This is his first year of preschool and his body handles colds a lot better
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN