Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

give up Chocolate for lent?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2008 at 10:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
well I thought "lent" was a Catholic thing.  but give up chocolate for anything, no way!  LOL
by on Feb. 17, 2008 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jenjen81605
by on Feb. 17, 2008 at 10:47 PM
Lent IS a "Catholic thing". Its the time between ash wednesday and easter when  you give up something you like to show how much more God means to you.

I hope that didn't sound pushy- I'm not even Catholic. lol. My family is though.
mom2oneteenboy
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 12:44 AM
 It's not just a "catholic" thing. People of Lutheran (Protestant) faith observe Lent too, they just don't have to do the "No meat on firday" thing.  It doesn't have to be Chocolate either. It could be giving up a bad habit.
Quoting jenjen81605:

Lent IS a "Catholic thing". Its the time between ash wednesday and easter when you give up something you like to show how much more God means to you.

I hope that didn't sound pushy- I'm not even Catholic. lol. My family is though.

MamaStine22
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 7:44 AM
I would never give up chocolate either! I love my dark chocolate and milky way bars!! I'm not really any religion, so I don't give anything up anyway. I already gave up my sleep (i looooove to sleep) for my kids, so I deserve chocolate when I want it!!!

I'm Not Perfect. So What?  www.cafemom.com/group/sooowhat

Just moms. No bashing, no drama, no judging.

MamaStine22
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 7:45 AM
I think she was referring to another post about someone who gave up chocolate for lent. That's why she said chocolate.
Quoting mom2oneteenboy:

It's not just a "catholic" thing. People of Lutheran (Protestant) faith observe Lent too, they just don't have to do the "No meat on firday" thing.  It doesn't have to be Chocolate either. It could be giving up a bad habit.
Quoting jenjen81605:

Lent IS a "Catholic thing". Its the time between ash wednesday and easter when you give up something you like to show how much more God means to you.

BEXi
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 7:57 AM
When I used to celebrate lent, I would ALWAYS give up chocolate, because I hated it anyway.. ha.

Click here to make some easy money!

mamakat12
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 8:20 AM
if you don't practice lent then why would you want to give up anything? anyway Jesus gave up his life so i know i could give up chocolate for him if I belived that way. I think lent is just for a specific amount of time anyway not forever. I used to be Catholic but now am of the Christian denomination so my belief in Lent is different.
Angellight626
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Lent is not about giving up chocolate!!!  Lent is not only practiced by Catholics.  Anyone can give up chocolate or any food for that matter.  If any one follows Lent, individuals should focus on being  good to one another, random acts of kindness, striving for Peace on Earth that is important. 

If those things are not practice what is the sense of following Lent!!!
Angellight626
mom2oneteenboy
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 2:58 PM
 My thoughts exactly! Thank you.
Quoting Angellight626:

Lent is not about giving up chocolate!!! Lent is not only practiced by Catholics. Anyone can give up chocolate or any food for that matter. If any one follows Lent, individuals should focus on being good to one another, random acts of kindness, striving for Peace on Earth that is important.

If those things are not practice what is the sense of following Lent!!!

dkl941
by on Feb. 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM
Lent is a time of the year between Lent and easter Sunday. You have to give  up something, or go out of your where to help other. ( you can pray more, ask god to help other etc. You can go to a hospitol and help the patient or read to someone) You don't tell anyone you are doing this for lent. the only person need to know is the good Lord and you. This is what lent is all about. 
God love all     
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN