Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

House Selling Help

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 8:20 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hubby and I decided to put our house up for sale last night.  We really want to move to an area closer to where hubby works.  I am just very afraid it wont sell because of the market and the economy right now.  We really want to move out of here though.
Any one have any helpful hints to make the house sell faster???
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
momof3inleh
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 8:27 AM
anyone???
mommy2-3kiddos
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM
I don't know how old or what condidtion your house is in, but when we were looking a few  years back we were in the mid to lower-ish end of the housing market here in Pittsburgh.  Little things like fresh paint & having the carpets cleaned made a HUGE difference in the houses we looked at.  If the kitchen is older anything you can do that is inexpensive to update it is a big plus.  The one house we looked at just put down a new linoleum tile floor, very cheap, but it made the room look fresh.....tile is better of course but more expensive. 

Another one that to most people would seem obvious but shockingly isn't, is just to make sure it's clean lol.  I was constantly amazed at the amount of people  that even for the pictures online did not even pick up the house!   Like I mean toys all over, bath towels on the floor & dishes in the sink....honestly, when I saw that I didn't even go look at them.  I figured if they can't take care of their stuff they probably didn't take care of the house...

The other big plus for me was the yard for the kids.  I know you can't create a yard if you don't have much of one, but the house we bought they cleared the areas that were flat & made them really attractive & usable looking for the kids!

I've heard a lot of people say to clear all the "personal" stuff from the house....family pictures & things like that.....but for me that didn't make a difference.  As far as I was concerned if I could see their family living there & enjoying the house I could see mine doing the same!

Not sure any of that helps, but just my thougths.....good luck!
momof3inleh
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Quoting mommy2-3kiddos:

I don't know how old or what condidtion your house is in, but when we were looking a few  years back we were in the mid to lower-ish end of the housing market here in Pittsburgh.  Little things like fresh paint & having the carpets cleaned made a HUGE difference in the houses we looked at.  If the kitchen is older anything you can do that is inexpensive to update it is a big plus.  The one house we looked at just put down a new linoleum tile floor, very cheap, but it made the room look fresh.....tile is better of course but more expensive. 

Another one that to most people would seem obvious but shockingly isn't, is just to make sure it's clean lol.  I was constantly amazed at the amount of people  that even for the pictures online did not even pick up the house!   Like I mean toys all over, bath towels on the floor & dishes in the sink....honestly, when I saw that I didn't even go look at them.  I figured if they can't take care of their stuff they probably didn't take care of the house...

The other big plus for me was the yard for the kids.  I know you can't create a yard if you don't have much of one, but the house we bought they cleared the areas that were flat & made them really attractive & usable looking for the kids!

I've heard a lot of people say to clear all the "personal" stuff from the house....family pictures & things like that.....but for me that didn't make a difference.  As far as I was concerned if I could see their family living there & enjoying the house I could see mine doing the same!

Not sure any of that helps, but just my thougths.....good luck!
Thank you!! :0)
Julie1976
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM
I'm in the same boat as you.  I've spoken to a realtor and had a market analysis done already to help give us a price point.  I'm in a new house development but my house is one of the first one's built so its now 10 yrs old.  We replaced the carpet upstairs, put in hardwood  floors all first floor and purchased stainless steel appliances in Sept/Oct. to help the sale be more attractive.  We also have a fenced in back yard that my husband went all HGTV on and made it really pretty.  We have a really nice corner flower bed in the back and several trees that he planted.  We are waiting unitl May/June until we can plant flowers again and then we're ready.  We decided in the fall to put our house on the market this spring.  I'm already looking for other houses for us now just to keep my eye on a few and be ready if we're lucky enough for a quick sale.  Here's hoping for the best for both of us!

Julie

gilberts
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 2:52 PM
I am an agent.  Make sure you stage your home, (if you need help with information on that please let me know and I can email some to you!! ) Price to sell, with the market the way it is, you want to be in the running with the home in your area.  Make sure your agent works for you!!  Request a written promise ( as I do with my clients) Promising to do open houses once- twice a month, have your home in more than one listing service, as well as in a magazine, and or an ad in your local news paper. Make sure your agent is working and marketing to sell your home!!  I home this helps a little bit, the market is very competative right now.  Best of Luck and PLease do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions!!!!

Shannon Gilbert

garealtor04@yahoo.com

gilberts
by on Mar. 13, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Sorry....I thought of a couple of other things

**Vanilla is a homebuyers aphrodisiac .

** Include a Lease Purchase Option

** Some New home builders are offering to buy your property when you buy theirs....ask the on site agent if you are looking at new home sales.

** Call your mortgage company and ask if they are willing to work with you on the sell of your home, some lenders offer 100% financing if you use them or deffered payments.  This looks favorable to families who can afford to buy and are ready, just do not have a large down payment saved up.

**If you are able to include appliances washer, dryer, children's playhouse or swingset  it helps.

** Make sure you have an information box with plenty of flyers everyday, If a potential buyer happens to drive by, and gets out of the car to grab a flyer, if no information is available,  tomorrow....they will forget that your house is for sale...
 **If their are any homes in your neighborhood on the market, I would encourage you to view them, they do not need to know why, while touring the homes make a list of what you can do to improve how your home shows.

Once again I hope this helps!

Shannon Gilbert

garealtor04@yahoo.com

Jodi275
by on Mar. 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM
I think it's helpful to have friends come over and give some idea's on things that might need updating.  It's good to have fresh perspective on things that we get used to on a day to day basis.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)