Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Notary question..

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2008 at 10:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
If someone is in jail in Georgia because they didn't show up to court in Florida, do they have to use a Florida notary to notarize the papers for their release, or can they use a Georgia notary? This is for a buddy of my husbands and it's a civil case. He is in jail in Georgia and they told him they need a Florida notary. But a Florida notary will not do it without him being present. Any one with some knowledge of this would be appreciated.
by on Mar. 31, 2008 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hodag33
by on Mar. 31, 2008 at 11:09 PM
Tha doesnt sound right.. If he was put in jail for something in FL he should be in jail in FL not GA. I think this would be a question to ask a lawyer or some one of that nature. I know you can do it in different counties of a state, but I am not sure about the states. You could go to a person who can Notarize something and ask them as well. They would more than likely know. Hope this helps
Taviesmommy
by on Mar. 31, 2008 at 11:32 PM
The laws may differ from state to state, but in Wyoming, where I am a notary, I can notarize someone's signature if they are from a different state, but they must sign the document in my presence, that is the whole point of having something notarized, to be sure that the person who was supposed to sign it did and someone did not forge their signature. I don't know if that helped much or not, I would ask an attorney about the laws in your state.
JMo0504
by on Mar. 31, 2008 at 11:36 PM
The notary has to be from the state the papers have to be filed in. So if the papers are filed in a FL court, the notary has to be from FL. Since GA and FL border each other you may find one that is a Notary Public in both states, I don't know how their notary system works.

Jamie

mcastro92121
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Hi, a notary public from Fiorgia can do the notary for him since he's there.  The jail is not going to let him go to another state just to do the notarization.  If they want a notary done on another state someone else can do it for him if they have a power of attorney.
bamadebee
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 9:45 PM
Documents have to be notarized by an authority for the state where they are signed.  Regardless of where they will be filed.  I'm a Florida notary, but if I happen to be in Georgia, and someone wants to sign something and have it notarized, I can't do it there.  Even if the papers are to be filed in Florida, he would need to sign it and have it notarized where he is.  Then file it wherever needed.

But... it is very odd that he is being held in jail in Georgia for something to do with Florida.  Doesn't make sense.  If he wants to look at notary regulations, you can look it up under the state statues (i.e., Florida State Statutes).  Easiest way to find copies is through the state bar sites.  For example, go to www.flabar.org and there will be a link for state statutes. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)