Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

This is one of the many reasons i am NOT for OBAMA

Posted by   + Show Post

Just when you thought reports of Barack Obama and his controversial minister Rev. Jeremiah Wright were over, a new individual appears.

Now news of Obama's relationship with homophobe Rev. James T. Meeks has been revealed, and it's very upsetting.

Rev. Meeks is an Illinois state senator and serves as the pastor of the 22,000 member Salem Baptist Church in Chicago, where Obama frequently campaigned back in 2003 when running for Senate.

Rev. Meeks has been described as someone in which Obama seeks spiritual counsel from, according to an article printer in the Chicago Sun Times. He will even serve as an Obama delegate at the 2008 Democratic convention in Denver.

Rev. Meeks has served on Obama’s exploratory committee for the presidency and was even listed on Obama's campaign website as one his ‘influential black supporters’. The Chicago Sun Times also reported that both Rev. Meeks and Obama share a history of receiving substantial campaign contributions from the indicted real estate "criminal" Tony Rezko.

Aside from numerous other reports linking the two together, the real issue is the character of Rev. Meeks, who is known for his racially charged remarks and homophobic ways.

In a 2006 sermon, Rev. Meeks stated, "We don't have slave masters. We got mayors. But they still the same white people who are presiding over systems where black people are not able, or to be educated. You got some preachers that are house niggers. You got some elected officials that are house niggers. And rather than them trying to break this up, they gonna fight you to protect this white man." He later defended that sermon during an interview with a Chicago CBS 2 reporter.

Not to mention Rev. Meeks homophobic ways are well noted. A 2007 newsletter from the Southern Poverty Law Center named Rev. Meeks one of the "10 leading black religious voices in the anti-gay movement."

The newsletter cites him as a key member of Chicago's ‘Gatekeepers’ network (an interracial group of evangelical ministers who strive to erase the division between church and state) and “a stalwart anti-gay activist… [who]… has used his House of Hope mega-church to launch petition drives for the Illinois Family Institute (IFI), a major state-level ‘family values’ pressure group that lauded him last year for leading African Americans in ‘clearly understanding the threat of gay marriage.'”

You can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep!

Sad. Sad. Sad.

JOIN OUR HOLLYWOOD UNCENSORED GROUP!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/dudeWTF

We promise to offend you at some point and know you will offend us too.

Mommy to Isabella and Gavin

by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
kim71504
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 10:26 PM
I'm glad this article was posted because it clearly shows that just because Obama is associated with someone, doesn't mean he is a robot that thinks the same as them.  And after all the Rev. Wright BS, it was needed.

Rev. Meeks is an anti-gay homophobic, and Obama supports civic unions between gays...can we say oxymoron?

MommyTanisha
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Obama supports are not starting posts saying that the only people who vote for McCain are rich? If you want another Bush vote for McCain? Of course their not people who support Obama would never say anything bad about Republicans. In general so not  in this specific post that you made the comment in, but in general. You might want to check your attitude me disagreeing with you was no cause for rudeness. Man where can you go around here to have adult conversations?
Quoting hodag33:

I never said anything about Hilary. I said Mcain, so yes it is true. And as far as what I said about people forcing their opinions on someone, I ment that in general. Every post that I have seen aboabout someone that does not like Obama jumps down poeple who like and defend Obama. Before you comment on what someone wrote read it and get it right. Like I said I was talking about Obama supporters not posting about why they do NOT like Mcain NOT HILARY
Quoting MommyTanis

I have seen many a post about Obama supports who will not vote for Hilary. Not in this group but all over Cafemom so this is not true at all. Secondly sharing information with people is not forcing your views on them if it was you should have not done it yourself.
To the OP are you aware that most Republicans are against gay marriage?

Quoting hodag33:

Why is it that lately people have been trying to "force" others into their beliefs?? I support Obama and I always have. I like what he stands for. I respect people for their opinion, but honestly are you not sick and tired of trying to force people to change their minds to what you want just because of something you "dug" up?? Most people have made up their minds and have done so by educating themselves. You don't see Obama supporters posting things about why they will not vote for Mcain....... * Please note I use the word you as a general term and direct it at no one in particular*
kim71504
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 10:33 PM
No where! Sad, but true...
Quoting MommyTanisha:

Man where can you go around here to have adult conversations?

medschool
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 11:07 PM
i knew this post would start drama personally I'm not for obama and thanks for the info. i don't see why people get their panties in a bunch over stuff like this its your opinion
Opalmoon371
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 11:20 PM

I am not into politics at all, but the thing that turned me against Obama was when i saw a pic of him standing up beside hilary clinton, with an american flag in front of them saying the pledge of allegiance .. not only was he not saying anything but he had his hands down to his side, not on his heart.  That tells me he does not believe in our country.  And I for one wont be voting for him.

CarolynSarah
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 11:46 PM
here are a few things ladies

1. i personally am not a republican please note my siggy
2. I am voting for Hills
3. I want someone who will not keep someone down for their orientation sexual or otherwise
4. the only REASON there is hills and obama stuff out there is b/c they are still fighting for the democratic vote.
5. Mccain has his republican ticket
6. I know this wont change anyone's mind that is already dead set on a candidate i thought it was interesting.
7. SO sorry that i posted this b/c obviously i cant post something i find intriguing about a candidate with out being bashed personally about why i posted this.

JOIN OUR HOLLYWOOD UNCENSORED GROUP!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/dudeWTF

We promise to offend you at some point and know you will offend us too.

Mommy to Isabella and Gavin

avajeansmomma
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 11:48 PM
I wonder why everyone is always attacking Obama.. I hardly ever see posts about mccain or hilary. Personally I am for Obama.. I don't even need to read this because its more than likely just the same bull that all of the other rumors have been. Way to go for spreading more crap with out researching though.. kudos.

-Gina

Wife to Jeremiah and mother to Ava!

MommyTanisha
by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 11:58 PM
If you were to start a post about whether or not people used Charmin or Scotts toilet paper you would get bashed. You can talk about whatever you want. I am personally not voting at all because I can not stomach any of them. You make a very good point about why only Hilary and Obama are the only ones being brought more. Obama is running for president for crying out load should we not find out and share everything and anything we learn about him? I only posed the question about Republicans being against gay marriage because it is a fact. I am in no way supporting Obama.
Quoting CarolynSarah:

here are a few things ladies

1. i personally am not a republican please note my siggy
2. I am voting for Hills
3. I want someone who will not keep someone down for their orientation sexual or otherwise
4. the only REASON there is hills and obama stuff out there is b/c they are still fighting for the democratic vote.
5. Mccain has his republican ticket
6. I know this wont change anyone's mind that is already dead set on a candidate i thought it was interesting.
7. SO sorry that i posted this b/c obviously i cant post something i find intriguing about a candidate with out being bashed personally about why i posted this.

Follow me to a group where we celebrate our differences for a change.  ♥ I Love Profile Comments ♥

Gina_Marie474
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 12:02 AM
It's just too bad that politics are always muddied under all this BS. It's too bad that Americans can't come together to find out what any of these people are really like (from small politics to big). All I ever see is people taking sides, getting on a soap box and staying there.

The American public has become the lemmings to the politicians.....and they're happy to keep us there. If we're always busy arguing with eachother, we're way to busy to look at what they're doing. Or not doing.

Ask yourselves this. When was the last time a problem was solved in this country? And I mean really solved?

Here's what I see from our gov't. A lot of talk and showboating. A lot of civil servants making a hell of a lot more money than the rest of us. And a new problem being brought up everyday so that we're so overwhelmed and so confused that NOONE is keeping tabs on what these people are doing. And they are counting on that to continue.

spin globeEarth Day
Mama2HannahLynn
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM

Quoting Opalmoon371:

I am not into politics at all, but the thing that turned me against Obama was when i saw a pic of him standing up beside hilary clinton, with an american flag in front of them saying the pledge of allegiance .. not only was he not saying anything but he had his hands down to his side, not on his heart.  That tells me he does not believe in our country.  And I for one wont be voting for him.

If I only had a dollar for every time I have heard this ...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)