Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is one of the many reasons i am NOT for OBAMA

Posted by   + Show Post

Just when you thought reports of Barack Obama and his controversial minister Rev. Jeremiah Wright were over, a new individual appears.

Now news of Obama's relationship with homophobe Rev. James T. Meeks has been revealed, and it's very upsetting.

Rev. Meeks is an Illinois state senator and serves as the pastor of the 22,000 member Salem Baptist Church in Chicago, where Obama frequently campaigned back in 2003 when running for Senate.

Rev. Meeks has been described as someone in which Obama seeks spiritual counsel from, according to an article printer in the Chicago Sun Times. He will even serve as an Obama delegate at the 2008 Democratic convention in Denver.

Rev. Meeks has served on Obama’s exploratory committee for the presidency and was even listed on Obama's campaign website as one his ‘influential black supporters’. The Chicago Sun Times also reported that both Rev. Meeks and Obama share a history of receiving substantial campaign contributions from the indicted real estate "criminal" Tony Rezko.

Aside from numerous other reports linking the two together, the real issue is the character of Rev. Meeks, who is known for his racially charged remarks and homophobic ways.

In a 2006 sermon, Rev. Meeks stated, "We don't have slave masters. We got mayors. But they still the same white people who are presiding over systems where black people are not able, or to be educated. You got some preachers that are house niggers. You got some elected officials that are house niggers. And rather than them trying to break this up, they gonna fight you to protect this white man." He later defended that sermon during an interview with a Chicago CBS 2 reporter.

Not to mention Rev. Meeks homophobic ways are well noted. A 2007 newsletter from the Southern Poverty Law Center named Rev. Meeks one of the "10 leading black religious voices in the anti-gay movement."

The newsletter cites him as a key member of Chicago's ‘Gatekeepers’ network (an interracial group of evangelical ministers who strive to erase the division between church and state) and “a stalwart anti-gay activist… [who]… has used his House of Hope mega-church to launch petition drives for the Illinois Family Institute (IFI), a major state-level ‘family values’ pressure group that lauded him last year for leading African Americans in ‘clearly understanding the threat of gay marriage.'”

You can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep!

Sad. Sad. Sad.

JOIN OUR HOLLYWOOD UNCENSORED GROUP!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/dudeWTF

We promise to offend you at some point and know you will offend us too.

Mommy to Isabella and Gavin

by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
Gina_Marie474
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Quoting Mama2HannahLynn:

Quoting Opalmoon371:

I am not into politics at all, but the thing that turned me against Obama was when i saw a pic of him standing up beside hilary clinton, with an american flag in front of them saying the pledge of allegiance .. not only was he not saying anything but he had his hands down to his side, not on his heart.  That tells me he does not believe in our country.  And I for one wont be voting for him.

If I only had a dollar for every time I have heard this ...
I don't support Obama, but that photo was a fake. Ya see.....this is what I mean. Confused.
 spin globeEarth Day
KatR
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 12:20 AM
I am all for a good debate over the actual issues of this election.  I think that even this article could be debated in a healthy manner if it was not prefaced with such a threatening title.  The "all caps" emphasis on "NOT" and "OBAMA" are obviously going to offend a LOT of the members of this group.  I am a huge Obama supporter.  I do not care for Clinton.  However, I am just as disappointed when I hear someone just calling her a b*tch instead of saying "I don't like her because of her stand on..." 

Would it be possible to bring the conversation to a level above school yard gossip, rumors and name-calling?  None of us will make any progress by forcing our views and making everyone so defensive. 

Thanks for "listening." 

KatR
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Quoting Gina_Marie474:

Quoting Mama2HannahLynn:

Quoting Opalmoon371:

I am not into politics at all, but the thing that turned me against Obama was when i saw a pic of him standing up beside hilary clinton, with an american flag in front of them saying the pledge of allegiance .. not only was he not saying anything but he had his hands down to his side, not on his heart.  That tells me he does not believe in our country.  And I for one wont be voting for him.

I don't support Obama, but that photo was a fake. Ya see.....this is what I mean. Confused.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

Here is the story behind the photo.  It isn't a fake photo, however, it IS taken out of context. 

bren10
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 12:41 AM
not everyone we know says things we agree with or does things we agree with or even believes the same way we do yet we like them any way. i think people are making a little to much out of something said by someone he knows and its time to let it go. it doesn't matter which candidate you pick they all have something someone will not like going on around them. move on.
KatR
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 12:45 AM

Quoting bren10:

not everyone we know says things we agree with or does things we agree with or even believes the same way we do yet we like them any way. i think people are making a little to much out of something said by someone he knows and its time to let it go. it doesn't matter which candidate you pick they all have something someone will not like going on around them. move on.

Amen
macslady07
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM
Lets see what I can do in photoshop. I bet I can show McCain assisting in an abortion procedure.  Oh that will get national attention.  Nobody knows why he was standing there like that, because WE WEREN'T THERE.  People just open an email and go "Ohhhhh nooooo, he's muslim and he wants to blow us up. He doesn't support America, that's why he's a black man risking his life running for president in the freakin U.S. of A"  OOOPS.  It makes no sense to run for president if you don't support the country.  GRRRR so freakin annoying!
Quoting Mama2HannahLynn:

Quoting Opalmoon371:

prettypaws
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 1:08 AM
 Lets take a moment to educate ourselves shall we.
 He did not have his hand over his heard because it was NOT the pledge of allegiance it was the NATIONAL ANTHEM. He was SINGING along with the singer.... It has been proved a million times already. Go to snopes.com... and pick a better reason for not voting for him.
Quoting Opalmoon371:

cancerbabe85
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 1:12 AM
I am not voting even though i have the right..but people always believe what they read and I think its a dam shame shame shame...hmmm.
You laugh because I am different, I laugh at you because your all the same!
Rule #1: I am always right. Rule #2 If I am wrong, please refer to rule #1.
  u cry i cry u laugh i laugh u jump of a bridge i laugh harder. I dont swim in your toilet, so dont pee in my pool.They say practice makes perfect, but nobodys perfect, so why practice?
cancerbabe85
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Quoting Gina_Marie474:

Whats up Gina!!!! Man, I love to see ya on a debate!!!  Dont hurt'em o.k??hehehehe!!!
You laugh because I am different, I laugh at you because your all the same!
Rule #1: I am always right. Rule #2 If I am wrong, please refer to rule #1.
  u cry i cry u laugh i laugh u jump of a bridge i laugh harder. I dont swim in your toilet, so dont pee in my pool.They say practice makes perfect, but nobodys perfect, so why practice?
Thomigirl
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 7:18 AM
Can we just agree to stop this nonsense!  I truly thought that this was a site to come and have intelligent discussions.  Clearly by this post, I was wrong.
To the poster that said that this article was opinion.  In this very precarious race for the white house, opinions like this can be detrimental.  With so many voters undecided, they look upon 'OPINION' pieces like this as fact.
...and I thought Rev. Wright was considered his spiritual adviser.  How many does he have???  That's why this is BS.  Where is the equal outrage at McCain's supporters John Hagee and Ron Parsley?  Google these 2 prime human beings and you'll be surprised.  McCain actually SOUGHT OUT Hagee's endorsement...so what does that say???
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)