Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

This is one of the many reasons i am NOT for OBAMA

Posted by   + Show Post

Just when you thought reports of Barack Obama and his controversial minister Rev. Jeremiah Wright were over, a new individual appears.

Now news of Obama's relationship with homophobe Rev. James T. Meeks has been revealed, and it's very upsetting.

Rev. Meeks is an Illinois state senator and serves as the pastor of the 22,000 member Salem Baptist Church in Chicago, where Obama frequently campaigned back in 2003 when running for Senate.

Rev. Meeks has been described as someone in which Obama seeks spiritual counsel from, according to an article printer in the Chicago Sun Times. He will even serve as an Obama delegate at the 2008 Democratic convention in Denver.

Rev. Meeks has served on Obama’s exploratory committee for the presidency and was even listed on Obama's campaign website as one his ‘influential black supporters’. The Chicago Sun Times also reported that both Rev. Meeks and Obama share a history of receiving substantial campaign contributions from the indicted real estate "criminal" Tony Rezko.

Aside from numerous other reports linking the two together, the real issue is the character of Rev. Meeks, who is known for his racially charged remarks and homophobic ways.

In a 2006 sermon, Rev. Meeks stated, "We don't have slave masters. We got mayors. But they still the same white people who are presiding over systems where black people are not able, or to be educated. You got some preachers that are house niggers. You got some elected officials that are house niggers. And rather than them trying to break this up, they gonna fight you to protect this white man." He later defended that sermon during an interview with a Chicago CBS 2 reporter.

Not to mention Rev. Meeks homophobic ways are well noted. A 2007 newsletter from the Southern Poverty Law Center named Rev. Meeks one of the "10 leading black religious voices in the anti-gay movement."

The newsletter cites him as a key member of Chicago's ‘Gatekeepers’ network (an interracial group of evangelical ministers who strive to erase the division between church and state) and “a stalwart anti-gay activist… [who]… has used his House of Hope mega-church to launch petition drives for the Illinois Family Institute (IFI), a major state-level ‘family values’ pressure group that lauded him last year for leading African Americans in ‘clearly understanding the threat of gay marriage.'”

You can tell a lot about a person by the company they keep!

Sad. Sad. Sad.

JOIN OUR HOLLYWOOD UNCENSORED GROUP!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/dudeWTF

We promise to offend you at some point and know you will offend us too.

Mommy to Isabella and Gavin

by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Replies (61-66):
alijones
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 4:33 PM
I was listening to a comedian a few weeks ago on Jay Leno and he basically stated -if you dig long and hard enough about ANYONE you will find some skeletons...

so CONTINUE TO DIG... and put the man in office already -all they can find is stuff PEOPLE AROUND HIM DID...

let's do some digging on our current president and his family and see what we find... should we even talk about that? or is just obama...

it is very sad that they cant dig up ANYTHING on Obama .. tsk tsk..

so dig on -by they way here's an extra shovel.... i'll help you
kbelle0507
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Quoting prettypaws:

You know what really drives me crazy about stiff like this?
 Who cares who he is friends with or whatever? I myself have no problems with homosexuals, neither dose my DH... His father on the other hand is EXTREAMLY homophobic?

Dose that mean we are ? No. It is one person's opinion. I hang out all the time with people that I disagree with on several subjects. That dose not make them or myself bad people.

I agree, if you dig deep enough into any political candidate, they will have some "charactaristically flawed" friend... Obama is way, way to enlightened to be homophobic...jmho
Korie
MommyTanisha
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 6:53 PM
This is not a debate group and sticking up for what you believe in does not include being sassy then running away when you dont like the outcome. I am not a Obama or McCain fan and have read many a post insulting McCain written by Obama fans. You make prejudiced assumptions, mine are completely unbiased. I read what you typed very clearly and have no need to read it over. Obama supporters are no better then those that support McCAin People have many reasons to not like all of the candidates and just  because you do not agree does not make you right and them wrong. If you really stuck up for what you believed you would not have cowered away.
Quoting hodag33:

This is why I hate debates on here. Someone sticks up for what they believe in and now all of a sudden they are rude... I am leaving this post Have a wonderful day ladies and I hope spring has come your way. :)
Quoting MommyTanisha:

Obama supports are not starting posts saying that the only people who vote for McCain are rich? If you want another Bush vote for McCain? Of course their not people who support Obama would never say anything bad about Republicans. In general so not  in this specific post that you made the comment in, but in general. You might want to check your attitude me disagreeing with you was no cause for rudeness. Man where can you go around here to have adult conversations?
Quoting hodag33:

I never said anything about Hilary. I said Mcain, so yes it is true. And as far as what I said about people forcing their opinions on someone, I ment that in general. Every post that I have seen aboabout someone that does not like Obama jumps down poeple who like and defend Obama. Before you comment on what someone wrote read it and get it right. Like I said I was talking about Obama supporters not posting about why they do NOT like Mcain NOT HILARY
Quoting MommyTanis

I have seen many a post about Obama supports who will not vote for Hilary. Not in this group but all over Cafemom so this is not true at all. Secondly sharing information with people is not forcing your views on them if it was you should have not done it yourself.
To the OP are you aware that most Republicans are against gay marriage?

Quoting hodag33:

Why is it that lately people have been trying to "force" others into their beliefs?? I support Obama and I always have. I like what he stands for. I respect people for their opinion, but honestly are you not sick and tired of trying to force people to change their minds to what you want just because of something you "dug" up?? Most people have made up their minds and have done so by educating themselves. You don't see Obama supporters posting things about why they will not vote for Mcain....... * Please note I use the word you as a general term and direct it at no one in particular*

Follow me to a group where we celebrate our differences for a change.  ♥ I Love Profile Comments ♥

Jenli1013
by on Apr. 3, 2008 at 9:12 AM
Again another reason i don't see why people like barack obama so much...
rmmitchel
by on Apr. 3, 2008 at 11:14 AM
When he's president, I know he'll enact a bill to legalize marijuana so it's not so hard to get. Especially for people like me who's on chemo, food tasted gross, toke a little get the munchies and eat to gain weight and not be so weak!

Go Obama!!!!!!
elvir2babes
by on Apr. 3, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Come join my new group for single moms! http://www.cafemom.com/group/ConfidentSingleMoms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN