Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do we think the "no sugar in schools" thing has gone too far lol...

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:13 AM
  • 39 Replies
I just had to share this....but first off I am all for the schools supporting healthy food choices for the kids.  I am a little annoyed by them not being able to even bring something sweet for their birthday snacks & holiday parties but ok, whatever, I get the point.....BUT...I just got the following letter from the school & I am totally amused.....

Fyi, the lemonade stand mentioned is a cancer fundraiser the kids are doing....mini stands set up in the classrooms for kids to bring change & such to raise money.....no actual lemonade there......anyway.......

Dear Parents,

On April 25 we will be having an Alex's Lemonade Stand as part of our Year End Celebration.  We would like to reward the fundraising efforts by giving them their glass of lemonade.  Please sign below giving permission for your child to participate.  We will be using Country Time Lemonade as the mix.  Here are the ingredients
: .....(the list follows)

Are we serious?  I have to sign a permission slip for my 8 year old to have a glass of lemonade????  I think we've gone too far lol....
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onecrazymom
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM
Yeah... all the rules and red tape has gotten beyond ridiculous in recent years.  I know it's all to protect themselves from litigious parents who would jump at the chance to sue the school for making their kids fat, or providing a tablespoon of sugar, etc.  It's sad, really.  I have fond memories of class parties when I was a kid... it's sad that they can't do that anymore because of a few families who would ruin it for everyone.

momportunity.com - helping moms work at home, with tons of legit at-home jobs & dozens of ways to earn "free money" online

Home product testing (FREEBIES) for pregnant moms & moms of kids under age 3: Click here.

CLICK FOR PRINTABLE GROCERY COUPONS

hodag33
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM
I kind fo agree with what you are saying, but maybe there are alot if children  in that school that have food allergies. Just a thought
ReeferWife
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:18 AM
not at our school in Texas, they are constantly having cupcakes, and candy and cakes, they can bring sodas to school on certain days and they are in Kindergarten and 2nd grade..my kids come home hyped up..
what I dont agree with, is the damn 2% milk..my kids dont like it, they cant have juice for lunch cause they are not allergic to milk..but they have had stomach aches from it..if im paying for kids lunch they should have whatever they want...the fat in milk is suppose to be for brain development...not milk that you can practically see thru
mommy2-3kiddos
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Quoting hodag33:

I kind fo agree with what you are saying, but maybe there are alot if children  in that school that have food allergies. Just a thought

True....but that existed when we were all in school too & the kids/teachers knew who could & couldn't have what.  This is strictly a sugar thing, the school has been obsessed lately....
mrs_pink
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:23 AM
I think the permission slips are a bit much. Our schools do the same "no sugar, low fat" thing too. I don't know how they can enforce this when they are feeding them flavored milks at breakfast and lunch. I try and send my kids to school with crystal light in their water and they tell them they can't have it. I told them it was sugar free and better for them than say strawberry milk that they pass out at lunch. My kids drink more water bc of crystal  light. I also make kool-aid with splenda too. I don't send treats to school bc of the hassel. It has to be store bought too. What a pain.
mommy2-3kiddos
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:26 AM
What amuses me is that we've banished all sugar snacks, but the kids can still buy as many bags of chips as they want at lunch time.  Just doesn't make sense, I think the fat in those is probably more dangerous than the sugar....

I see what you mean on the milk thing, some kids really don't like the 2%.  Personally I can't drink whole milk, it give ME a stomachache lol.  Hubby loves it though....anyway, I would think they would rather they have the nutrition from some type of milk than nothing....weird....
Quoting ReeferWife:

not at our school in Texas, they are constantly having cupcakes, and candy and cakes, they can bring sodas to school on certain days and they are in Kindergarten and 2nd grade..my kids come home hyped up..
what I dont agree with, is the damn 2% milk..my kids dont like it, they cant have juice for lunch cause they are not allergic to milk..but they have had stomach aches from it..if im paying for kids lunch they should have whatever they want...the fat in milk is suppose to be for brain development...not milk that you can practically see thru
mommy2-3kiddos
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Quoting mrs_pink:

I think the permission slips are a bit much. Our schools do the same "no sugar, low fat" thing too. I don't know how they can enforce this when they are feeding them flavored milks at breakfast and lunch. I try and send my kids to school with crystal light in their water and they tell them they can't have it. I told them it was sugar free and better for them than say strawberry milk that they pass out at lunch. My kids drink more water bc of crystal  light. I also make kool-aid with splenda too. I don't send treats to school bc of the hassel. It has to be store bought too. What a pain.

We haven't gone to the store bought thing here yet, it's coming though I think.  We had to do that in dd's preschool, it was annoying.....
SunshineSmiles
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM
ok im sorry.  i have a 17month old and have been out of school for a long ass time.. no sugar in schools? what? what happened to the Krispy Kreme donuts? am i missing something? no parties? what? permission slip for lemonade? wtf!

SunshineSmiles
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:31 AM
dont they have choices? i remember having choices for milk.. it was: Blue carton-2% milk . Red carton-reg whole milk  . Brown carton-Chocolate milk!

what the hell is going on at schools now a days?!
Quoting ReeferWife:

mommy2-3kiddos
by on Apr. 2, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Quoting SunshineSmiles:

ok im sorry.  i have a 17month old and have been out of school for a long ass time.. no sugar in schools? what? what happened to the Krispy Kreme donuts? am i missing something? no parties? what? permission slip for lemonade? wtf!

No no no...Krispy Kreme????  My goodness I'd be kicked off the PTA! lol  Yup, no sugar, & supposedly low fat (again, not getting the potato chip availability I mentioned earlier)

They can still HAVE parties, just nothing with sugar as one of the first 3 ingredients.  Sounds like fun huh? Happy Birthday....have a carrot stick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)