Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Ultrasound at 36 weeks shows baby 'not breathing'??? UPDATE - IT'S A BOY!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:17 PM
  • 23 Replies

My sister-in-law just had an ultrasound and is on her way to a non-stress test because it showed the baby not breathing...  I've never heard of this.  Anyone know what this means?

He was just born tonight!  I cut the cord!  That was freaky! Completely healthy, no problems!  Yay!

by on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilysmom8
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:19 PM

Bump

I AM PROUD TO BE A SINGLE MOTHER WHO WORKS FULL TIME, TO DO WHATS BEST FOR ME AND MY DAUGHTER!
LyTe684
by Tasha on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:20 PM

??? Umm we (mothers) breathe for them. What CAN they breathe? They are IN the uterus.

mandarose
by on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the dr's meant something else. Does the baby have a heart beat?

Quoting LyTe684:

??? Umm we (mothers) breathe for them. What CAN they breathe? They are IN the uterus.

natalieg

I've never heard of that, so I'll give you a bump.

MaddiesMaMa418

They don't actually breathe, it's more like practice, I guess. But if they don't do it in the womb, the docs freak a bit...mine did. She was fine, a bit of prodding and she started doing it.

TheSalasFamily
by on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:23 PM

maybe they saw that the lungs aren't developing properly??? im not sure babies exactly "breathe" in the womb............but thats the only thing i can think of.

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:23 PM

This is all I have really found

Abstract: One hundred patients self-admitted to the hospital with a diagnosis of labor, were observed for up to 45 minutes with real-time ultrasonography to determine if the presence or absence of fetal breathing movements was helpful in separating false labor from true labor. Fetal breathing movements were not detected in 31 patients, and 30 of these delivered spontaneously within 48 hours; fetal breathing movements were present in 69 cases, and pregnancy continued for at least 48 hours in 56; of the remaining 13, labor occurred spontaneously within 48 hours in eight, whereas five had labor induced. Assessment of the cervix by Bishop score after ultrasound further improved diagnostic precision; none of 13 patients with a score greater than 9 exhibited fetal breathing movements, and all delivered within 48 hours. Gestational age did not influence outcome; 25 patients were preterm, and all 22 in whom fetal breathing movements were present continued for more than 48 hours. The results suggest that the absence of fetal breathing movements differentiates true labor from false labor.

Veela
by on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM

babies start to 'practice' breathing before they are born. . . maybe there was no trace of that?

all the best to your sister. . .try not to panic (i know that's probably impossible).

Photobucket Image Hosting
GreenEyes74
by on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Yeah, I heard they 'practice breathe' but don't know what it means when they don't...  Glad to hear yours came out well!

Quoting MaddiesMaMa418:

They don't actually breathe, it's more like practice, I guess. But if they don't do it in the womb, the docs freak a bit...mine did. She was fine, a bit of prodding and she started doing it.

5timesthecharm
by on Sep. 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM

NOT TO SCARE YOU, BUT I KNEW THIS MOTHER WHO WAS IN HER LAST WEEK OF PREGENCY AND SHE DIDN'T FEEL HER BABY MOVING ANYMORE. SHE WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND THEY SAID THAT THE BABY WAS NOT BREATHING AND THEY FOUND OUT THAT THE AMBILCIAL CORD HAD WRAPPED AROUND THE BABIES NECK AND CHOCKED IT TO DEATH. SHE WENT AHEAD AND DELIVERED IN V-BACK AND AND WENT THROUGH IT ALL. THAT WOULD OF BEEN SO HARD FOR ME. I HAVE HAD 5 MISCARRIAGES, BUT TO BE PREGO FOR NINE MONTHS AND THE BABY BE HEALTHY AND THEN IT DIE LIKE THAT WOULD BE SOOOOOO HARD. WHEN THE BABY WAS BORN THE DOCTOR SAID THAT SHE WAS A VERY HEALTHY BABY OTHER THAN THE CORD BEING AROUND HER NECK. I HOPE EVERYTHING GOES GOOD FOR YOUR COUSIN. I WILL KEEP HER IN MY PRAYERS!!angel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN