Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why do people hate disabled people so much?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have noticed that a lot of people in cyber world or in real life hate disabled people. I hear form these people that "most" disabled people are just "lazy", "faking it", "don't want to work", whiners" etc and I almost always hear that disabled people should "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Not every disabled person can "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Why do you suppose people have such a strong dislike for disabled people? Do you thi9nk it has to do with the mentality or survival of the fittest?

by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Replies (111-119):
unspecified42
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't "hate" disabled people, but I do think that many, if not most, COULD work if they tried to find a job that fit them. If they need job training and assistance with placement, that's fine and absolutley I'd love to pay for it. But I am not willing to pay for people because they can't do the job that they want to do and don't want to do the job they can.

seichim
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I think it has to do with a lack of compassion.  There are many people on disability that certainly deserve it.  Those who have had severe injuries and have not been able to work since.  Catastrophic injuries are horrible on the entire family and being on disability ensures that they get the help they truly need.

On the flip side, I think a lot of the anymosity and lack of compassion comes from seeing many people abuse the system.  We do know that there are people on disability that are using some type of disorder as an excuse to not strive in life.  To them it's a handout.   I can see both sides of this issue.

I think it is unfortunate that we as a society have created people that take no responsibility for themselves and think life owes it to them to take care of them.  You see this with the welfare system too.  The problems with all of these is that if you removed some people from the system, it is their little ones that would suffer more hardships in life.

I don't really know that there is any conclusive answer to this tremendous problem.  So sad!!

seichim
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Just to clarify.  There are also many people with mental disorders and physical disorders that are not their fault and were dealt a poor hand in life.  I feel these people should deserve the help that disability can offer them.

romanceparty4u
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I'm sorry, I think perhaps you perceive a hatred that isn't really there.

I don't hate disabled people...however there are some "disabled" people that aren't legitimately disabled. This is fact, I've seen it firsthand.

Those are the ones that piss me off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Some push through though. Many would rather take the handout than try options.

Quoting seichim:

Just to clarify.  There are also many people with mental disorders and physical disorders that are not their fault and were dealt a poor hand in life.  I feel these people should deserve the help that disability can offer them.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, gottcha....  and yep, as a general rule, I would think that the majority of disabled could work doing something.  I worked as a dispatcher with a guy who could not stand up straight.  he was bent over at the waist... and could barely walk.  It was a struggle.  Once he sat down he was ok, but boy was getting around hard for him.   but he was one of the most dependable hard working people I have ever known.  He was determined to take care of his family, and he did.  He was one of my heroes.  I am tired of the idea that we are not supposed to use common sense when judging situations.  It is that attitude that has allowed too many on to the disability list.  No one is willing to wave the BS flag when it should be.  Don't judge?  Sorry, but we make judgements about hings every day, and it is an important thing that we do.  People use the fact that people are unwilling to demand that those who receive assistance be those who truly need help.  We cannot continue to take care of this many people.  I watched a woman spend over $500 on her food stamp card, and when I looked at the register screen it said she had a balance of almost $900 left.  HOLY CRAP!  She had bought mostly junk.  The whole system is out of control, and it is because that is exactly what was inteneded by this current administration.  the morepeople that depend on the government, the more control they have because that majority will always vote in the people who will give them the most.  those of us who are paying the bill are now the minority, and we are SOL.  FED THE HELL UP, BUT SOL.

Quoting Anonymous:

I meant nearly everyone can do a job. Something. That is why they do not allow long term disabilities. They find something they can do and prevent permanent disabilities.

Quoting GertieK:

Huh?  That made no sense whatsoever. 

Quoting Anonymous:

This!!

Where dh works they do not allow long term disability. They find some crappy job the person can't do. If they don't do that job they fire them and it is legal. Very few people can't work doing something who had a job.

Quoting GertieK:

That has got to be one of the dumbest statements I have heard.  I know of no one who hates anyone who is truly disabled.  The problem is, the number of "disability" claims have jumped 20% in the last 5 years, and I am sorry, but we do NOT have 20% more disabled citizens.  What we DO have is an administration who could care less if people have jobs, who has relaxed the guidelines to be deemed "disabled", and a WHOLE lot of people who do not care if they lie to get government assistance.  It isn't that anyone hates someone who is truly disabled.  It is that the number of people claiming to be disabled has gone up way out of proportion to what is a logical number.  SSI was meant to help those who truly need help.... it was NOT meant to be an extension or continuation of unemployment benefits.  A recession is not a criteria that should be used to categorize someone as disabled.  The trend is unsustainable. The disability fund, which is financed by a

0.9% tax on employees and employers, has been running an annual deficit

since 2005 and is set to ehaust its reserves by 2018.  Grow up, lady, and quit whining about people being haters.  While I am sure there are some really nasty people out there, America is an incredibly kind and generous nation.  But what you don't seem to get, is that those of us who financially pay to support all this public assistance that this administration sees as an open checkbook that they can just spend spend spend are about fed up and tapped out.  It is time we make any assistance be something that has really tight qualification standards, and unless you really will never be able to work, (and not just faking it, or lieing, or whatever), have a time limit.  We are about to collapse, and it is amazing that instead of sucking it up and seeing that we have to tighten up and that we ALL should  have to pay, there you are whining about people hating disabled folks.  Gaahhhhhhh!  Time for EVERYONE to pay income tax.  EVERYONE.  You make $10/year - you owe $1.  You make $10,000 - you owe $1,000.  Everyone needs to have a dog in the fight.  When you have nothing to loose, what the hell do you care how hard it is for the rest of us who do?  I could reverse your logic..... why do people who weasle their way into getting disabilitywhen they really aren't disabled hate and disrespect the rest of us so much?  They have no regard for the ones who are working their asses off and paying their way.  See how that works?  Grow up, and welcome to the real world.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Did anyone else notice this post is from 2008? lol

It's Cassandra Cat! 

kellynh
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I have never noticed any "hatred".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:07 PM
No, we don't care.

Quoting angelachristine:

Did anyone else notice this post is from 2008? lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)