Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why do people hate disabled people so much?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have noticed that a lot of people in cyber world or in real life hate disabled people. I hear form these people that "most" disabled people are just "lazy", "faking it", "don't want to work", whiners" etc and I almost always hear that disabled people should "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Not every disabled person can "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Why do you suppose people have such a strong dislike for disabled people? Do you thi9nk it has to do with the mentality or survival of the fittest?

by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
USAF.Wife
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:07 PM

i don't feel that way about disabled people, i do however feel that way about those who really aren't disabled or take advantage of being disabled. but really it all depends on what the disability is.

metalmomma25
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM

The reason I made this post is because I have a diabling condition. I have Lupus. With my lupus comes a variety of health issues including depression, severe joint pain and swelling, fatigue, stiff joints, tooth pain, photosensitivity, random rashing and sores, and when I have a flare up: trouble breathing and I am baiscally bed-ridden.

I went to school to try to become a Chef. I got up to my last sememster and then my illness (which at the time was still in the early stages of being diagnosed properly) was so bad I could no longer fight it. I had to drop out of school, quit working and get SSDI. It broke my heart. ]

What really breaks my heart is how people view people like me. I don't want people to feel sorry for me. I love my life. I may not have as much "life" as others, but I am still passionate about cooking and I still have stuff that I truly feel fulfilled by.

I know there are others out ther who are FAR worse off that me and thier illnesses are "invisible as well. People think that if they can't "see" it, it must not exsist.

Are there people who lie about thier illnesses? Sure. But the majority that recieve SSDI/SSI don't. It would almost be impossible to get that far without legal proof that their illness exsists.

I don't always tell people I have this illness. In fact, this is very scary for me to even reveal this. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. I just want people to understand that just because you cannot see a person's disabling pain or condition does not mean that it does not exsist.

fullcup
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM

I agree with all you wrote.  Contributing doesn't mean one must pay taxes, but (I think) one must do something other than sit on their rear being disabled.  In the example I gave, my neighbor could work.  I know it is hard for some persons with a disability.  My daughter has CP.  She won't be drawing disability.  She'll work in some way.  As I said before, many persons with disability are frauds....just like other groups in society.  Couple that with the fact that many people are uncomfortable being around persons with disabilities and poof, that group gets knocked down. 

People don't like giving handouts when a person can work...be it a capable person who has a disability or a capable person drawing welfare.

Quoting metalmomma25:

but who says that just because you can't work you are not contributing to society?

and being overweight can be a symptom of other illnesses or medications people take for thier conditions.

I wouldn't see a chiropractor if someone paid me.

just because a person can sit for long periods of time and type on a computer does not mean they can work. I know thats hard for people to see, but it is true.

Quoting fullcup:

Well, if a person *can* be a contributing member of society, shouldn't he, even if entitled to a handicap parking space? 

My dd at age 12, is learning skills to help her be just that.  She'll always be dependent on us (her parents), but it is our hope that she'll have some degree of independence and find meaningful work. 

I had a neighbor once, a quarter body amputee due to cancer.  Drew disability from the time she was 19 on.  She can talk, use her hands, work, she just needs crutches (her choice) or a wheelchair (she never used one).  So, really she was like me, but without a limb.  MANY people have seated jobs, receptionist, attorney, so on.  Why didn't she work?  I don't get it.

I think too, a LOT of people abuse the title of "disabled".  Fat?  That's why you have diabetes and circulation issues?  Um, yeah, lose weight, don't take my parking slip.  Fell at work?  Seeing a chiropractor?  Oh, better now?  Turn in your temp parking placard.

It is no wonder persons with true disabilities are seen as less that full class citizens.  MANY *non*disabled persons are running around giving the false impression of what it means to be disabled.

At least this is how I see it. :)

Blessings!
BEXi

Wow, i havent seen this.. but if I would i'd have to bitch slap someone

metalmomma25

I had no idea your name was Amysue. I like it :)

Quoting USAF.Wife:

i don't feel that way about disabled people, i do however feel that way about those who really aren't disabled or take advantage of being disabled. but really it all depends on what the disability is.

maof4greatkids

I guess the same reason Denis Leary said Autistic children are just lazy, whinny brats with no condition, just bad parenting.......pure ignorance!!!

BEXi

My BIL is legally disabled because of his kidney transplant.. he is very very sick, but just by looking at him- you wouldnt be able to tell.

Quoting USAF.Wife:

Vwatson
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM

see this is why I never pay any attention to disabled people.. I don't know whats wrong with them, i don't know their conditions, and I'm not in their shoes nor am I God, so I can't judge them. I beleive a lot of people abuse the system but its not my place to say anything.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
fullcup
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM

When I see people who park near a building and look ok, I always think of my dad who had lupus.  I know people thought he was abusing the system.  He endured the ugliness to which you are referring.  It is crippling and painful to watch someone deal with it daily.  I'm so sorry the wolf is after you.  (hugs)

Quoting metalmomma25:

The reason I made this post is because I have a diabling condition. I have Lupus. With my lupus comes a variety of health issues including depression, severe joint pain and swelling, fatigue, stiff joints, tooth pain, photosensitivity, random rashing and sores, and when I have a flare up: trouble breathing and I am baiscally bed-ridden.

I went to school to try to become a Chef. I got up to my last sememster and then my illness (which at the time was still in the early stages of being diagnosed properly) was so bad I could no longer fight it. I had to drop out of school, quit working and get SSDI. It broke my heart. ]

What really breaks my heart is how people view people like me. I don't want people to feel sorry for me. I love my life. I may not have as much "life" as others, but I am still passionate about cooking and I still have stuff that I truly feel fulfilled by.

I know there are others out ther who are FAR worse off that me and thier illnesses are "invisible as well. People think that if they can't "see" it, it must not exsist.

Are there people who lie about thier illnesses? Sure. But the majority that recieve SSDI/SSI don't. It would almost be impossible to get that far without legal proof that their illness exsists.

I don't always tell people I have this illness. In fact, this is very scary for me to even reveal this. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. I just want people to understand that just because you cannot see a person's disabling pain or condition does not mean that it does not exsist.

Blessings!
BEXi
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:21 PM

My Mother has lupus (along with RA), so I know where you are comin from, metalmomma.. Its sad people will judge someone because they look healthy on the outside, but on the inside they are very sick. Same goes for my BIL who had a kidney transplant a few years back.. physically he looks great, but that's not the case..

Quoting fullcup:

When I see people who park near a building and look ok, I always think of my dad who had lupus.  I know people thought he was abusing the system.  He endured the ugliness to which you are referring.  It is crippling and painful to watch someone deal with it daily.  I'm so sorry the wolf is after you.  (hugs)

Quoting metalmomma25:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)