Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why do people hate disabled people so much?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have noticed that a lot of people in cyber world or in real life hate disabled people. I hear form these people that "most" disabled people are just "lazy", "faking it", "don't want to work", whiners" etc and I almost always hear that disabled people should "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Not every disabled person can "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Why do you suppose people have such a strong dislike for disabled people? Do you thi9nk it has to do with the mentality or survival of the fittest?

by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
jenke
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:26 PM

I am coming into this late but I think alot of it is becase people do not know how to act or be around them which is BS because they are real people and should be treated just like anyone yes they need extra help yes they recieve disability payments so they can live and be independant as possible.  Yes they act different but they dont know any better they can not always control what they do.  yes they can be beligerant but wouldn't you if you couldn't do things the way you wanted.   This is just my opinion thought.

maof4greatkids
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:30 PM

It breaks my heart when people act that way towards disabled people. Both of my boys ( Age 5 YO and  2 YO) get SSI for their disabilities. Yeah they are to young to work and i dont know what the future has in store for them. When they get older they may be able to work but then again they may not and i dont think its anyones place to judge them. The government doesnt just hand out SSI checks to anyone who claims to be disabled. Both my boys have Albinism. My youngest has a worse case then my oldest but my oldest was approved for SSI before my youngest and thats only because he has seen many more doctors and had more doctor reports to back up his claim. So my youngest had to go to a doctor that worked for SSI. My oldest not only has albinism but he also has verbal dyspraxia which causes him to have many speech problems.  At 5 YO he speaks like a 3 YO. His comprehension isnt the best either. He also has PDD and also goes for OT every week to help with his fine motor and gross motor skills. Both boys have vision problems. My oldest vision isnt to bad. ( 20/40) But both have Nystagmus ( involuntary movement of the eyes) My baby boys vision is 20/200. So its not so great. Both are sensitive to sunlight. Both are developmentally delayed in more then one way. I dont even know if my baby will be able to drive when he gets older because of his vision. It could get worse. Time will tell. My oldest may be able to get to the point that he can work when he gets older. Its a little less likely for my youngest but i still have hope.

I dont think my boys deserve to be told they should get off their asses ( when they are older of course) and get a job. If they are unable to and the Gov. says they ARE "disabled" then its nobody's business if they work or not. Like someone else said, you can contribute without working and paying taxes. My boys are great and i know they will contribute in many ways. They have certainly educated me in the past 2 to 5 years.

fullcup
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Yeah, I believe everything the government says too.  Sorry, couldn't resist. 

Hope your boys fare well.  I have a friend whose nephew has albinism.  It's a tough row to hoe.  Good luck to your family.

Quoting maof4greatkids:

It breaks my heart when people act that way towards disabled people. Both of my boys ( Age 5 YO and  2 YO) get SSI for their disabilities. Yeah they are to young to work and i dont know what the future has in store for them. When they get older they may be able to work but then again they may not and i dont think its anyones place to judge them. The government doesnt just hand out SSI checks to anyone who claims to be disabled. Both my boys have Albinism. My youngest has a worse case then my oldest but my oldest was approved for SSI before my youngest and thats only because he has seen many more doctors and had more doctor reports to back up his claim. So my youngest had to go to a doctor that worked for SSI. My oldest not only has albinism but he also has verbal dyspraxia which causes him to have many speech problems.  At 5 YO he speaks like a 3 YO. His comprehension isnt the best either. He also has PDD and also goes for OT every week to help with his fine motor and gross motor skills. Both boys have vision problems. My oldest vision isnt to bad. ( 20/40) But both have Nystagmus ( involuntary movement of the eyes) My baby boys vision is 20/200. So its not so great. Both are sensitive to sunlight. Both are developmentally delayed in more then one way. I dont even know if my baby will be able to drive when he gets older because of his vision. It could get worse. Time will tell. My oldest may be able to get to the point that he can work when he gets older. Its a little less likely for my youngest but i still have hope.

I dont think my boys deserve to be told they should get off their asses ( when they are older of course) and get a job. "disabled" then its nobody's business if thIf they are unable to and the Gov. says they ARE ey work or not. Like someone else said, you can contribute without working and paying taxes. My boys are great and i know they will contribute in many ways. They have certainly educated me in the past 2 to 5 years.

Blessings!
fullcup
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 5:49 PM

"They" do deserve the attention of their fellow man.  Do you ignore disabled persons all the time?  What a cushy life you must have!

Quoting Vwatson:

see this is why I never pay any attention to disabled people.. I don't know whats wrong with them, i don't know their conditions, and I'm not in their shoes nor am I God, so I can't judge them. I beleive a lot of people abuse the system but its not my place to say anything.

Blessings!
maof4greatkids
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM

Its not about "believing everything the government says" My point was that the gov. doesnt hand out disability checks. If someone gets SSI its because they ARE disabled and not just sitting on their asses. Its not the easiest thing to get SSI. If you havent seen several doctors that give several reports saying there is a disability they will send you to one of "their" Doctors to see what they have to say. Like i said my oldest son was approved first without many problems at all because he had been seeing doctors for his delays and problems for 3 years now. My youngest has a more severe case of albinism and worse vision then my oldest but he had to see one of "their" doctors because he hadnt seen several docs like my oldest ( who has other problems other then albinism) Though my babys vision is 20/200 at the age of 2 he had to see extra docs even though he had already seen a Neurologist and an Ophthalmologist. So its not about believing everything the gov. has to say....LOL. Lord knows i dont trust them. its just not as easy as many think. 

Quoting fullcup:

Hope your boys fare well.  I have a friend whose nephew has albinism.  It's a tough row to hoe.  Good luck to your family.

Quoting maof4greatkids:

I dont think my boys deserve to be told they should get off their asses ( when they are older of course) and get a job. "disabled" then its nobody's business if thIf they are unable to and the Gov. says they ARE ey work or not. Like someone else said, you can contribute without working and paying taxes. My boys are great and i know they will contribute in many ways. They have certainly educated me in the past 2 to 5 years.

fullcup
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM

I know it isn't easy.  I understood your point.  I got a kick out of your comment about the govt. It made me giggle for fun, not in a condescending way.  I also understand about SSI.  My daughter lived in a hospital for nearly three yeas (NICU and PICU) so as a person living in a hospital, she drew SSI for awhile.  I also can relate to 20/200 vision.  That is my dd's vision in one eye.  She sees a pedi neuroopthamologist.  Have your kids seen that specialty?  It is highly specialized opthamologist.  Very helpful for us!  Good luck to your family!!

Quoting maof4greatkids:

Its not about "believing everything the government says" My point was that the gov. doesnt hand out disability checks. If someone gets SSI its because they ARE disabled and not just sitting on their asses. Its not the easiest thing to get SSI. If you havent seen several doctors that give several reports saying there is a disability they will send you to one of "their" Doctors to see what they have to say. Like i said my oldest son was approved first without many problems at all because he had been seeing doctors for his delays and problems for 3 years now. My youngest has a more severe case of albinism and worse vision then my oldest but he had to see one of "their" doctors because he hadnt seen several docs like my oldest ( who has other problems other then albinism) Though my babys vision is 20/200 at the age of 2 he had to see extra docs even though he had already seen a Neurologist and an Ophthalmologist. So its not about believing everything the gov. has to say....LOL. Lord knows i dont trust them. its just not as easy as many think. 

Quoting fullcup:

Quoting maof4greatkids:

Blessings!
maof4greatkids
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 7:31 PM

nope just two seperate docs.....a neurologist and an opthalmologist

I get what you are saying. I worded that different then what i meant. I mean if the doctors say you are disabled and the gov gives you SSI its because you are disabled. The gov. doesnt say you are disabled without a report from a doctor saying you are disabled   :)

Quoting fullcup:

I know it isn't easy.  I understood your point.  I got a kick out of your comment about the govt. It made me giggle for fun, not in a condescending way.  I also understand about SSI.  My daughter lived in a hospital for nearly three yeas (NICU and PICU) so as a person living in a hospital, she drew SSI for awhile.  I also can relate to 20/200 vision.  That is my dd's vision in one eye.  She sees a pedi neuroopthamologist.  Have your kids seen that specialty?  It is highly specialized opthamologist.  Very helpful for us!  Good luck to your family!!

Quoting maof4greatkids:

Quoting fullcup:

Quoting maof4greatkids:

KellyChristal
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM

I am 30 years old and if I hadn't worked as a public school teacher for the 6 years before I became disabled, then I would qualify for disability.  Because the school district I worked for didn't pay into SS I don't have enough credits.  And now I am disabled, but you wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at me.  So I am screwed.  I have an autoimmune disorder similar to RA called Ankylosing Spondylitis, and it causes severe pain and inflammation in all of my joints but mainly my back (SI joints).  There is no cure for my disease and I suffer with horrible pain and fatigue 24/7.  Please don't judge me because I look young and healthy, because I am not on the inside.  No one has the right to say someone if faking it.  If I could I would let you feel my pain for just an hour, and then you would know.  BTW, this disease just started for me during my last pregnancy, so I have only had the diagnosis for about 2 years now.  There is no way I could go back to teaching the way I feel, but I do stay at home and take care of my children the best I can.  Please, don't judge until you have walked a mile.....

Stacie150
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Quoting gretchendawn:

AS CRAZY AS THIS IS GOING TO SOUND, I THINK SOME PEOPLE ARE JEALOUS BECAUSE DISABLED PEOPLE STAY HOME! I THINK THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THE MIND SET THAT IF THEY CAN GO OUT AND WORK THROUGH THINGS THAT MAY BE AILING THEM THEN EVERYONE SHOULD!

Not all of them "stay home".  I went to high school with a guy who has a disability and I recently heard that he got a promotion with the local sheriff's department.

toributterfly
by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 9:31 PM

I think it's a couple of different things.  Disabled people tend to freak people out, especially mentally disabled people.  It's part irrational fear that somehow their disability will rub off on you (kind of like people who think being around pregnant people will make them pregnant).  It's also an unknown situation for people that can sometimes be pretty frightening.  I must say I am kind of scared of my 18-year-old cousin who has lacanthropy and also a severe mental disorder that I cannot for the life of me remember.  He is 3 feet tall, cannot talk, screams at people, wears diapers, throws his own feces around the room and sometimes at people... it's pretty terrifying to be around him.  Not trying to be cruel, but it's like being around a violent rabid untrained monkey.  That is the best way to describe it.  He bites people, hits people, throws things at people.  His mother pretty much has to keep him locked away in a room because he is so violent, she cannot take him anywhere.  It's horrible.  That's pretty much the only disabled person I've ever been freaked out by as an adult.  I actually tried to talk to him and treat him like a normal person, and at first he really seemed to warm up to me.  Then he just charged at me, shreeking like a banshee, trying to hit me.  I ran out the house.  Other than him, I do not feel any negative emotions towards disabled people.  Though people pretending to be disabled, who are very obviously faking it, do tend to piss me off.  They're reaping benefits that belong to only those that deserve them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN