Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why do people hate disabled people so much?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have noticed that a lot of people in cyber world or in real life hate disabled people. I hear form these people that "most" disabled people are just "lazy", "faking it", "don't want to work", whiners" etc and I almost always hear that disabled people should "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Not every disabled person can "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Why do you suppose people have such a strong dislike for disabled people? Do you thi9nk it has to do with the mentality or survival of the fittest?

by on Oct. 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Replies (91-100):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

im disabled and my grandmother used to give me shit until she saw first hand just how bad it is. its not easy by any means. we do get alot of shit for it. just because i am not in a wheelchair (or a straight jacket for that matter) people assume that im just in it for the "free ride". guess what? that "free ride" barely covers rent. if it wasnt for dh i would probably still be living with my mom in constant hell.

Paperfishies
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM
I only dislike my shady family. Like my 22 year old 2nd cousin who is on disability because she has ADHD, and receives every form of welfare known to man. Yet she keeps popping out kids...finds a way to afford shitty neck tattoos, and is an all around worthless human being.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amazingj
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:59 AM

because they - the general public - are uneducated and judgemental. and, sadly, there are those who do abuse the system, but mostly, those who are disabled are.

lorbear
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM

i have  be disabled since 2000, i have a slipped disc and they can't  do surgery on it , i worked 2 jobs  and took care  of 2 boys and then all of a sudden you can't work and  you can't walk , take baths and clean your house or cook or do anything with out help. like the person  said you feel like your worthless and a pain to  people,  i have had people  ask me what my problem was that i can't work or have to use a parking stall for handicap  people.  i would give anything  to go back to work and help people and do the things i used to do but i can't . then to add to all this , in april  i had cellulitess ( spelled  wrong). now i have to learn to walk and do steps and  have a big hole in my leg from surgery , i will never be able to do alot things i used to , i have to use a cane  to get around, can't drive , can't get on the floor and play with my grandson , plant a garden or do any blending..  so yes people do have a problem , but i would never wish this last  8 months on anyone. i almost died from it and if they have a problem with me  i just tell them  get over it cause  they would never make it in my shoe ...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I have one of those invisible disabilities...like not outwardly disabled, such as missing a limb or in a wheel chair etc...I get seizures that are not epileptic supposedly, and I have to get checked for MS.  I have crippling anxiety and sever manic depression, as well as panic attacks if I am in a crowd of too many people by myself.    I was in a mental health counseling day program with therapy and workshops etc...and there were so many people ticked off when in passing conversation, found out I got SSI and SSD right off the bat, first time I tried. 

I was asked "who I knew", what did I write in my interview sheets, and the thing is...I told the truth: seizures leave me tired, fuzzy headed(memory lapse)...I can't leave the house some  days without breaking down in tears, because I am afraid my husband will lose track of me or I will lose track of him in a store or mall...

People are bitter, because even though I am disabled, I do like to look nice and have nice things...I mean not Louis Vuitton or Prada for goodness sakes, but I do a lot of surveys in my spare time for credits on Amazon or gift cards, I know places to get great deals(outlets, burlington coat factory, goodwill store that happens to be in a VERY affluent area) and they all expect me to dress in rags and pajamas or something...I have had people tell me directly, you are disabled and have Ed Hardy clothing and a kindle fire HD and a vera bradley bag? Wow!!! And look at the neighborhood you live in(it's a nice neighborhood, my husband and I share a house and we get the  1 bedroom basement apartment with laundry room and free internet and direct tv and utilities included...I just happened to look on Craigslist one day and found it, and it's affordable enough, that I can pay rent and have money left over for clothing, because I get foodstamps from being disabled, and my husband works from home, as a transcriber, but it doesn't pay much.   It's like people think I want to be sick.  Uh no...in fact when I hit my goal weight, I am going to work for weight watchers as a leader or secretary at the meetings.  

BrittanyJean220
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:37 AM
It's the lack of knowledge and understanding. I also think disabled people scare the ones who don't know and understand. There was a point in my life where it kind of scared me but being around people with disabilities and having friends and family with disabilities has really opened my eyes and helped me to understand better. Now I know that they are just people like you and me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GertieK
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I don't think that people in general hate people with disabilities.  I actually don't know anyone who does.  What I do know, though, is that your attitude sets the stage for their attitude.  If you can't do something, well, you just can't.  It really must be awful to be in that situation.  I also know LOTS of professional "I can't" people.... who can but won't.  I worked for years with a guy who couldn't even walk upright, but he dispatched for the police department for 25 years.  He wanted to be the one to provide for his family, and found a way that worked for him.  His determination and attitude inspired nothing but respect.  I have seen the guy with no arms and no legs still reach down inside and find a way.  My brother's in-laws were professional moochers.  They had it down to an art - everything from intentionally causing wrecks to slipping and falling and becoming permanently "disabled".  It was disgusting.  So, I think there is more to it than just people hating disabled.  A true disability is just that, and people that I know have no problem doing whatever they can to support and help. 

ivyowl
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I am on SSI and I have been since I was 18. I am 45 now. I have a few thoughts. My learning disabilities make it hard for me to post and come off correctly. Online tends to be one place where people don't think I am faking(because they don't realize I collect SSI, they just think I am stupid. I get a lot of ridicule from grammer police and I realized that it was either not contribute to discussions anymore or get laughed off the internet. I've been laughed off the internet so much that when I make posts like this, I never come back to read the responses. SO I won't be reading any response to this.

I wanted however to join in this discussion to make a few points. I have been reading over what some people have said.

1) There are stories of disabled people who work anyway. So sometimes these people get held up as inspiration for non-disabled people to judge those disabled people that don't work. To this I want to say that many times a person CAN overcome a single disability. For example, a learning disabled person can dig ditches or do construction. If they are male. Or don't also have a bad back. I've seen people that don't even know how to read make great livings as a jackhammer operator till their back gave out..and they are 60 years old now and never learned to read. My point is many people you see on SSI have more then one disability. This REALLY makes any one of them hard to work around. Let's say for example you were in a wheelchair but were smart and had good use of your eyes and hands..you could become an accountant! But let's say you were in a wheelchair and you had an IQ of 85. Not very many sitting down jobs will let you only have a IQ of 85. So you can't compare one disabled person to another.

2) I spent 8 years getting a two year degree. I graduated into this horrible economy. I watched college graduates get turned down for jobs at McDonalds. I live in a really depressed area anyway. When kindhearted employers are fighting off desperate people with families who are losing their homes and I am on HUD and collecting SSI, they don't feel guilty for giving the job to someone else. They just don't. Yes it's noble of me to want to work anyway. How admirable of me. Now why don't I just collect my money and stay home because THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS FOR EVERYONE! THERE JUST ISNT. SO do i want to be all noble and admirable and respectable and take a fast food job away from a kid getting kicked out of their home and not qualifying for anything?

3) Some posters have mentioned those of us how could do SOMETHING should volunteer. Yes I agree with that statement. I should volunteer. I can't right now cause I am not well, but I have done TONS of volunteer work in the past and have all sorts of letters of appreciation and award certificates lining my walls. And I plan to get back to it again. But those who think it would be the moral thing for me to get a job and pay taxes just don't get the big picture regarding the job situation.

4) There ARE people who hate people with disabilities. At one time it was an entire nation of people inspired by group called the Nazi's. After they killed all the disabled people THEN hated the Jews. But not everyone knows that the disabled were the FIRST to die under Hitler. He had posters advertising this practice to an ACCEPTING public.And nobody thought anybody was faking either. As a special ed student in the 70's(before SSI) all my peers hated me. They laughed and called me names and didn't want anything to do with me.  These days on Classmates they all just rudely ignore me. It's obvious they still hate me. I am sure they justify their hatred by listening to Faux News or something No remorse at all but have expressed remorse to some of the non-disabled successful people they bullied. So I can honestly say I know at least 60 people who hate the disabled.  People who hate the disabled often don't express those views because that stopped being cool in high school is all. They still do. Deep down they think we should all be euthanized and save the state some money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Do you know that disabilities rose when the economy tanked. Tons came from the construction industry. That is no coincidence. Really awful. I can't work anymore so I will get disability.
Marimaru
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I think most people hate everyone outside of their bubble/monkeysphere.  And they hate anything they can't understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)