Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My toddler is having night terrors? piog...

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM
  • 7 Replies

So for just over a week now my toddler has begun SCREAMING in the middle of the night or during her naps. I don't know what to do to help her. She isn't even it seems awake at the time, I go running in, pat her on the back, whisper to her for a moment and she's back out, seemingly never fully awake at all. When she wakes I ask her if she had bad dreams and she says yes, that monsters are chasing her. I get the occassional nightmare but this has been EVERY day. My dh and I are very worried. And she slept with me last night and i noticed she wimpers in her sleep a lot too, prior to the screaming. Isn't it odd for such a young child to have nightmares that intense? I monitor what she watches so I don't think she's seen anything scary. Any advice ladies?

*ps there has been a lot of tension in the house, my dad was recently hospitalized, work and money are tight right now, my teen has caused a bit of anxiety in the house, that kind of stuff, so it's been more hectic and intense around here than ever, could that be having and effect?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
matofour
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:26 AM

My oldest used to have night terrors.

Our doctor told us to put her to bed, let her sleep an hour, then go in and wake her up, enough so that she knew it was us.  By doing this it disrubted her sleep pattern, and would prevent the terrors. 

We never did it, only because her terrors were far and few between, (maybe once every few weeks), and I did not want to wake her up, every night.  She did grow out of them, fairly quickly. 

But, if your little one is waking up everynight anyway, I might try it, only because she is up anyway.

I also know our doctor said to cut out the tv, all day, because it messes with the way the brain works,and could be causing it as well. 

hope she sleeps better for you!

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Here is some info about night terror that might help you:

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm

My son suffered from them terribly and although they did decrease over the years, he is now seven and will have one once in a while.

SassySugar40
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:01 AM

MY lil girl went though that same thing  she still does but the doc tells me it just cause she had a bad day or something is going on or happen in her day that has upset her.  so i always ask my lil girl how her day is when she come home from school if he bad i try to make the rest of it good so when it bed time  we do not have these bad nite. she doing better with them,  every now and then she has a off nite  and will come to my room and tell me or i will hear her and go in there and tell her she is ok and hug her and tell her i love her. it is hard when your not sure what going on but the doctors say they will grow out of them. whcih she is 5  and has she not have them as bad as she did when she was so much younger. if you need someone to vent to or just to talk . email me or page me i am here for ya. good luck.

Lindasmama
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:26 AM

My now 22 month old has had night terrors since she was a yr old old and bad dreams before that.They are getting better,they only happen about once a week now.She still whimpers in her  sleep and cries but,not so much screaming and kicking.The terrors would sometimes make her scream for about 2  hrs at a time.The peditrician wants to have her checked by a sleep doctore if they arent better at her 24 month app..Change and stress is somthing that can trigger them.We had none of theose.No new ppl around,or none leave,no new house nothing! They just happend to my por baby. I would talk to your pedi.and good luck.:)

PROUD MAMA  TO LINDA

LOVING WIFE TO ALFREDO

athenax3
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:54 AM

OMG!! Thanks so much ladies at least now I have some ideas and some resources to refer to about this, and I really feel a bit better knowing she's not the only kid, when I mentioned to my friends they looked at me like I had lost my mind, lol..thanks again just these few responses is such a relief to a worried mothers mind! ((((HUGS))) ladies!

Momsince1106
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:56 AM

i think with night terrors, touching them will make it worse.

she could just be having a bad dream, or even be gassy..... my son was screaming up in the middle of the night, i heard him fart really loud, and then he settled down a little. i tried to find his gas drops, but i dont know what the husband did with them

athenax3
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM

This was super helpful, thanks for the link!

Quoting IhartU:

Here is some info about night terror that might help you:

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm

My son suffered from them terribly and although they did decrease over the years, he is now seven and will have one once in a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)