Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler in CPS custody after breaking into Family Dollar

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM
  • 59 Replies

BEAUMONT, Texas — Child Protective Services took custody of a 4-year-old boy found at a Beaumont discount store, playing with toys, as police responded to a burglar alarm.

Police say store surveillance video showed the unidentified boy tried one of the front doors to a Family Dollar store about 3 a.m. Monday, only to find it locked. But the second door was unlocked and the child went inside.

That triggered the silent alarm.

Detective Randy Stevens said the child apparently unlocked a door at his nearby home, got out, then crossed a multilane street to reach the store.

A canvass of the neighborhood turned up a family member searching for the child.

Police initially said the boy was returned to a parent, but CPS spokeswoman Shari Pulliam says the agency has taken custody of the child during a review of the incident.

Too many religions but only 1 god. I don't need another savior. Don't try to change my mind. You know I'm one of a kind. Ain't gonna change my bad behavior............

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:01 PM

Wow, glad the child was taken into custody while an investigation went on. 

azn_ladie82
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Oh my gosh! I'm glad he was taken by CPS also.

Are you a proud mom of a Preemie NICUGRADUATE? Click on my blinkie to meet other Preemie moms.

Addys_Mom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:41 PM

I think the story is a little incomplete... why should he be taken away from his parents because he broke out? my daughter did that once and it was in no way my fault. I felt terrible about it though. Im sure this little boys parents feel the same way. If there was other evidence suggesting he was neglected or that the parents were to blame then sure why not. But they shouldn't be punished for one accidental escape

Stacie150
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:49 PM

The doors of the home should have locks that a 4-yr-old cannot unlock.

HoneysCeCe
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:55 PM
A four year old at three a.m. roaming a multi-lane highway? Come on who just happened to forget to put this toddler to bed? This child needs a safe place to live....He had no fear to walk across that highway? He had no fear of the dark? He had no fear of leaving all along? He just opened his house door nobody heard him? Makes no sense to me...This little toddler has been taking care of himself to have that kind of smarts....
Quoting Stacie150:

HoneysCeCe
MrsBentine
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM

OMG wow my mom lives in that town!

glitterteaz
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:04 PM

I did a similiar thing when I was about the same age. I woke up in the middle of the night and took the dog out for a walk around the block and then thru the neighboring cemetery .  My poor mother was in her room with the TV on and did not here me leave.  The cops talked to me offered me a ride I told them I was ok but my puppy needed a walk. They followed me back to the house I walked in and went to bed. The cops then knocked on the door told my mom what happend and she never noticed I was missing I was back before my dad came home so there was really no reason to check on me.  I just got a wild hair up my ass and there I went.  After the cops left my mom squeezed me tight and told me next time wake her up if I want to go somewhere cause I could get hurt!!!  I don't think the parents are at fault I mean it is not like kids come with a buzzer that goes off when a kid gets a bad idea. Nor, is it their fault kids don;t come with tracking devices. 

Shit happens. Just glad the little one was ok!!

glitterteaz
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:07 PM

That is not true I did needless to say my mother had a deadlock installed at the top of the door and a sliding latch lock the next day!!! LOL

Quoting Stacie150:

thinkpinky
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Well I'm not surprised he's in CPS custody. With the crazy moms out there these days...I guess you just never know so better safe then sorry. I'd hate for my kid to do that while I was asleep though just to lose him! What a horrible world we live in where children aren't safe from their own parents and have to get taken away

glitterteaz
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:10 PM

I knew my route because my mom took me on walks all the time!  I think unless their is part of the story missing it was a bit premature taking the kid!

Quoting HoneysCeCe:

A four year old at three a.m. roaming a multi-lane highway? Come on who just happened to forget to put this toddler to bed? This child needs a safe place to live....He had no fear to walk across that highway? He had no fear of the dark? He had no fear of leaving all along? He just opened his house door nobody heard him? Makes no sense to me...This little toddler has been taking care of himself to have that kind of smarts....
Quoting Stacie150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)