Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ex- smokers (or anyone trying to quit)

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM
  • 5 Replies

DH has to quit smoking.  He works in a state prison.  In either March or February (I can't remember which) they are starting a new law that makes it a felony for him to take any tobacco products with him to work.  They are not permitted to have any in the prison whether they work there or are inmates, so it will be considered (I forget the proper terminology) bringing illegal substances into inmates.  Pretty much, it will be the same as if he would bring any drugs into the prison.

He wants to get some of the patches.  There is a HUGE price different between Nicoderm and Equate (Walmart brand).  Has anyone ever tried the Equate ones or any other generic brand of patches?  How did they work?

This is not something we're willing to play around with.  I hate that he smokes and am so excited for him to quit.  It's just that I'm really cheap and can't help myself.  If you got any recommendations, please share!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mikismama
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:29 AM

yeah I have, it worked great, I quit for a year, I smoke again now, but I quit to get pregnant and used the patches

Mommy to Miki and proud Army wife!

Want a place to chat Join http://www.cafemom.com/group/51925/ 

tuesdaygreen
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:32 AM

sorry i have never used patches, but from what i know generic brands are just as good as brand name, and i have used generic everything, including medicine and stuff andf it all worked just as good for me, so i dont see why one would be better than the other. i say go for it.

AmandaA
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:33 AM

Will insurance pay for the quit smoking pill?? My mom used it to quit and she has been smoke free for almost 2 years... I know it says it has side effects but she is a manic depressive and she was fine throughout the whole time her only complaint was not being able to sleep some nights... other than that i don't know abou the patches I quit cold my hubby has tried the patches like 20x and it never worked I think you really have to want to quit for anything to work tho... for me it was being sick of going outside in 0degree weather to have a smoke... just seemed stupid.... Tel your hubby we all wish him luck and are behind him all the way!

I LOVE MY BABYBOYS

raerae1011
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:34 AM

if you want him to quit and stay quit, even though it isn't cheap, i would recommend the prescription drug chantix.  my mil used it when she quit smoking.  she had now been smoke-free for 1.5 years now and she was smoking for like 25 years.

AmandaA
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Thats the pill I was mentioning also Just couldn't remember the name... lol

Quoting raerae1011:

if you want him to quit and stay quit, even though it isn't cheap, i would recommend the prescription drug chantix. my mil used it when she quit smoking. she had now been smoke-free for 1.5 years now and she was smoking for like 25 years.

I LOVE MY BABYBOYS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)