Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wic ????

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM
  • 14 Replies

I read posts and hear women talk about being on WIC. I am pregnant with baby #6 and we live off of hubbys income and thats it. My questions are, what is it? What do u get? Is this just for people on welfare? I really have no clue about this program. I would love for someone to fill me in on this! What is all involved to get this? Fill me in ladies. I am out of the loop! Thanks in advance   thank you

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deminika
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Wic is the women infants and children's program. It provides things like milk, cheese, eggs, peanut butter and juice for pregnant or nursing women and children up to the age of 5. If your infant is on formula they give you 8-9 cans of formula a month. The guidelines are lower than those for welfare so more people can use it than can use welfare. In most places to get these items you are giving three months of checks with specific amounts  and brands of what you can get and you give them to the cashier with you wic groceries.

Mommy to 2 little  girls, step mom to 1 little boy and wife to my soldier.           

kristinaleann
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:51 AM

no, its not just  for people on welfare.  you get milk, egg, cheese, juice, beans, cereal ..if the infant will get juices and cereal when they get the right age. after one they start to get pretty much what i mentioned before.  To get wic you have to call your local wic office and set up an appointment. when you go in they will ask you to bring a few things with you. like proof of address, income... It is all based on your income and family size. We qualify for wic on me, and my two sons. I will no longer to receive wic when my son hits the 6 month mark b/c im no longer breast feeding,. Its not too much that you have to do to have wic. you have to go back  when all your checks are gone they have you an appt  made all ready. which  i tbelieve it is 3-4 months. not 100% on that. Also a few times a year you have to go to a few classes like nutrition. The ones here usually last about an hour, but if needed they will let you go early. Oh and also if you are not breast feeding you can also get formula for the baby....

We are also only living on my dh's income. WIC has helped us out so much. Especially with the prices of milk and my toddler LOVES his milk!

jenniferlee_12
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:52 AM

My SIL gets it and she just went and they told her that starting the first of the year they are changing the packages and even going to include whole wheat bread. I believe that you can get it if you are pregnant and for the kids until the age of 5.And my SIL isn't on welfare her husband works and she stays home with the kids. She qualifies for WIC, but not food stamps. I would say go try and apply.

SMASEH
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM

We are not on welfare of any kind but I receive WIC with this pregnancy because I am high risk.

FamilyAffair9
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I don't know what state you are in, but the amount of formula you receive depends on if you get concentrate or powder.  Here in R.I., if you get concentrate it's 31 cans, if it's powder then you get 10 cans of powder (both pretty much equal out the same amt each month).  If you run out before the end of the month, they don't provide more. Right now the formula they provide is Nestle Good Start and I've found that we run out before the end of the month and if this happens to you, you can go to Walmart and get their 25.75oz can of powdered Parent's Choice Infant Formula. It's not expensive (around $11 - $13) and it helps to fill those gaps when you run out of the WIC.

Quoting deminika:

Wic is the women infants and children's program. It provides things like milk, cheese, eggs, peanut butter and juice for pregnant or nursing women and children up to the age of 5. If your infant is on formula they give you 8-9 cans of formula a month. The guidelines are lower than those for welfare so more people can use it than can use welfare. In most places to get these items you are giving three months of checks with specific amounts  and brands of what you can get and you give them to the cashier with you wic groceries.

deminika
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:06 AM

I didn't know they offered concentrate. I was on wic for about 9 months almost 4 years ago. Back then I got 9 cans and a friend of mine is on it now and she's always gotten 8 cans. I had mine in colorado and she had hers in georgia and texas.

Quoting FamilyAffair9:

I don't know what state you are in, but the amount of formula you receive depends on if you get concentrate or powder.  Here in R.I., if you get concentrate it's 31 cans, if it's powder then you get 10 cans of powder (both pretty much equal out the same amt each month).  If you run out before the end of the month, they don't provide more. Right now the formula they provide is Nestle Good Start and I've found that we run out before the end of the month and if this happens to you, you can go to Walmart and get their 25.75oz can of powdered Parent's Choice Infant Formula. It's not expensive (around $11 - $13) and it helps to fill those gaps when you run out of the WIC.

Quoting deminika:

Mommy to 2 little  girls, step mom to 1 little boy and wife to my soldier.           

taleyu1432
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:07 AM

i get it  for my son used to get it for me while preggo and dd.MY DD JUST TURNED 5 SO SHE WAS REMOVED FROM THE PROGRAM ,MY POSTPARDUM (6 MONTHS IS OVER SO I WAS REMOVED) BUT DS STILL GETS IT.Im not on welfare i do have medicaid and wic.With 6 kids you can probably easy get it . find the website and read the income guidelines. you will know if you qualify.

mommyat37
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I am getting WIC. We are living solely off my husbands income. We didn't qualify for Welfare. We were getting 9 cans of formula a month for our dd. Now we get 4 gallons of milk, 96 ounces of juice, 36 ounces of cereal, 1 pound of cheese, 2 dozen eggs, 1 jar of peanut butter.

We also get checks for the local Farmer's Market every fall.

So it comes in very useful and we are great full that we were able to qualify for it.

twinsRus5
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 10:34 AM

Wow! That would be great to get checks for the farmers market! So does everyone in each state get milk,cheese, juice ,eggs and cereal? What do some people mean when they are passed postpartum and are removed from the program but their child still gets it? Does that mean u get a different amount of food?

Quoting mommyat37:

I am getting WIC. We are living solely off my husbands income. We didn't qualify for Welfare. We were getting 9 cans of formula a month for our dd. Now we get 4 gallons of milk, 96 ounces of juice, 36 ounces of cereal, 1 pound of cheese, 2 dozen eggs, 1 jar of peanut butter.

We also get checks for the local Farmer's Market every fall.

So it comes in very useful and we are great full that we were able to qualify for it.

kristinaleann
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM

if you are breast feeding you can stay on wic until you stop. but if you are feeding the baby formula you can only stay on it for 6 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)